Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/7/2022 6:40:09 PM EDT
Hey folks,

A family friend died recently and left my dad in charge of disposing of his gun collection for his wife.  I was wondering if any of you could help ID this based on these two pictures alone?

AK 1

AK 2

The serial number ends in 2001 so I wonder if that approximates a rough import date.  My dad has it labeled as Romanian AK so suspect there are some markings that indicate that (he knows guns but wouldn't have just guessed).

Any help is appreciated.  I don't have any more pictures or additional information unfortunately.  Our friend has over 140 guns and counting and it's taken weeks just to get a few pictures of each, rough models and serial numbers.

Family friends are going to take their pick of some of these at fair prices before we attempt to sell off the lot to a broker or dealer.  And this one looked kind of interesting to me.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
$1000 regardless of which model it is.  Probably a SAR1
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks brother.  So that's retail?
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By teddypewtholay:
Thanks brother.  So that's retail?
View Quote
Pretty much any foreign AK is in the 1k range. The US made AKs from PSA run cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:22:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: panzersergeant] [#4]
Sar1. They go for around 1200 around here... when you can find them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#5]
You guys are great.  I put my name on it.  Only my second AK so kind of excited this sort of fell into my lap.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#6]
As stated, a Romy SAR 1.  Imported in the late 90's/early 2K's.  I just scored one from a local shop for $799, but that was cheap.  Barrel is not threaded, but can be (CNC Warrior sells the kit - see below).  But you'll also need the spring and detent to retain the slant brake.

AK 47 14x1LH Barrel Threading Kit

These can also have canted gas blocks & front sights.  You may want to check it out prior to buying it.

But they are a pretty solid factory built AKM with CL barrel & correct receiver dimples.

Here's mine after threading the barrel and adding some Romy furniture.

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup, appears to be a SAR-1. I believe they were marked "SAR-1" on the left side of the receiver. They are essentially the ban era predecessor to the WASR.

In today's market it's worth $1000 easily.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Well guys I appreciate all the help.  A dealer came by last week and appraised the whole lot and gave us individual prices on a handful of guns like this one that we set aside.  He said $500!!!  So of course i jumped on it.  Gun looks really nice.  I'll try to take a few better pictures because I know everyone like a good bargain story.  Sights look good to me.  I've seen some bad canted sights over the years.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By teddypewtholay:
Well guys I appreciate all the help.  A dealer came by last week and appraised the whole lot and gave us individual prices on a handful of guns like this one that we set aside.  He said $500!!!  So of course i jumped on it.  Gun looks really nice.  I'll try to take a few better pictures because I know everyone like a good bargain story.  Sights look good to me.  I've seen some bad canted sights over the years.

Thanks for everyone's help.
View Quote

I'm assuming the "dealers appraisal" was based off of what he would pay for them?  Not actual value.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dump1567:

I'm assuming the "dealers appraisal" was based off of what he would pay for them?  Not actual value.
View Quote

Yep exactly. He generally paid 60-70 percent of his retail. This was a particularly good deal I thought. Some of his others were a tad high so I think it mostly evened out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember the SAR-1 I had ages ago.  Started with a S1-XXXXX serial number.  My SAR-2 started with a S2-.
I hope that helps.

BikerScout
Sunny AZ
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]
SAR-1.....I'd be more than happy to take that off your hands for you
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top