Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/26/2017 2:02:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Machak]
Back in the day, when I worked in Iraq, I encountered a lot of guns that I could not identify right away. They all had "P" on the rear sight and "SAR" on the selector. All signs of a Romanian made AK. But it had a crutch and arabic numbers on the trunnion. Later I realised those were Egyptian weapons.

Why a lot of Maadis have ROMANIAN markings on the selector and rear sight?
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Your links don't work. But the P sights and SAR markings are Egyptian export rifles, as opposed to Egyptian rifles marked for domestic use. The SAR markings are considered "universal" as opposed to having country specific characters.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
Your links don't work. But the P sights and SAR markings are Egyptian export rifles, as opposed to Egyptian rifles marked for domestic use. The SAR markings are considered "universal" as opposed to having country specific characters.
View Quote
Thanks for pointing it out, links worked well last week.

It just feels like there is a bigger story out there. Maybe Romanians helped with running the factory for sometime, or something like that.

Cause everyone else has specific markings.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Machak:

Thanks for pointing it out, links worked well last week.

It just feels like there is a bigger story out there. Maybe Romanians helped with running the factory for sometime, or something like that.

Cause everyone else has specific markings.
View Quote
I doubt that. If even they were helping, why would they change their markings because they were receiving help from an outside source? Yes, everyone else has specific markings, but some also have export markings. The Chinese substituted their Chinese character markings for the Arabic "L" and "D" on their export rifles, and I'm fairly certain that Arsenal Bulgaria used at least one alternative marking for the export rifles to the ING (I need to verify that, so don't take it as gospel).
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I am just making this video series and I really want to make it right and get to the bottom of things.

You are probably right. Even North Korea had its own export markings.
Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top