Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2022 9:13:14 PM EDT
Greetings SKS Carbinites
Got a Sino Soviet from the Classic bunch many years ago and just recently got the cosmoline off.  Metal went fine but stock was so jacked up I made the mistake of
(gasp) sanding it.  Now I need a recipe to correctly as possible restore factory finish.  I have found many formulas for Russkie red but none 4 chicom.
Any help would be much appreciated.  
Comments to the effect "What a dumb ass" are accepted (and deserved) but hopefully  include a solution or link to such.
TIA !!
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Just seal it and shoot the hell out of it.
Its an SKS.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#2]
What would you use to seal the wood?  
I agree if it was a 1980 Norinco but since this 0ne has some historical significance
i wanted to try get back as close to original as possible.  
And then shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I would just give it a few coats of boiled linseed oil and call it good.  Thats what I did.  My surplus had so much grime in the stock that it needed a light sanding.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:07:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mettlepig] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
I would just give it a few coats of boiled linseed oil and call it good.  Thats what I did.  My surplus had so much grime in the stock that it needed a light sanding.
View Quote

I think thats what I used on one of my Sino Soviet that was really bad, since I already had it in my stash, came out real nice, I did run it through my dishwasher first, so...we all have our problems
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks both you guys.  Already have most the gunk off.  Light sanding / tack cloth/ should be ready for the Linseed oil.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Burninammo:
Thanks both you guys.  Already have most the gunk off.  Light sanding / tack cloth/ should be ready for the Linseed oil.
View Quote

I would use Tung oil.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By QCMGR:

I would use Tung oil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Burninammo:

I would use Tung oil.

You can use Gunstock Wax as well to seal it and it really works good.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:23:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oxford411] [#8]

I would use Tung oil.
View Quote

I’m pretty sure this is what I used on this Yugo stock but it could have possibly been Waterlox sealer, I had both laying around from other projects when I did this stock.

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top