Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2023 2:18:49 AM EDT
Does anyone have inklings or knowledge what the availability and prices will be for 7.62x39 from now to a year from now? I noticed prices are up a bit recently.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#1]
As the Russian supply dries up prices will slowly reach the "new normal".
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#2]
It will be and will stay more expensive than 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought PSA’s parent company started building an ammo manufacturing plant with the stated intent of producing steel cased 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 about a year or two before the Biden Ammo Ban?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Ammo prices and availability are not going to improve during an election year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I figuratively "Bit the Bullet" and ordered 3K Vympel 124gr FMJ a couple of months ago at $360 a case delivered.

Should feed my SKS's and 1 AK for the rest of my life considering how much I shoot them.

I don't see it getting any cheaper and the quality of the brands replacing the Russian stuff seems even worse.

The accidentally corrosive primed BVA recently released from Kyrgastan for example.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I would buy it now rather than gambling on the future.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:55:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: toyotaon4ds] [#7]
I think other combloc countries will fill the niche in the market, especially once they aren’t busy supplying the Ukraine with ammo. Romania is already shipping spam cans, yugo m67 is still available and about the same price as 5.56, BVA was getting corrosive ammo from Kyrgyzstan and I’m sure that’ll keep coming in under different names/brands, Polish Mesko brass and steel case pops up from time to time, Bulgarian ammo is coming in from global ordinance and so on and do forth. I think it’ll stabilize somewhere around $.35-.40 per round. I might be wishfully thinking but I’m already seeing the market pivot to make up for the loss of Russian ammo
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
I thought PSA’s parent company started building an ammo manufacturing plant with the stated intent of producing steel cased 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 about a year or two before the Biden Ammo Ban?
View Quote

I think they will be producing steel case 7.62 and 5.45 by the end of this year. Based on the 9mm and 223 pricing it should be reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Won’t be near as cheap as Russian made ammo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:32:27 AM EDT
[#10]
With everything going on in UK and Europe military getting ready, I don't see prices or good availability for some time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Ammo prices and availability are not going to improve during an election year.
View Quote

Good thing were are not in an election year.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By toyotaon4ds:
I think other combloc countries will fill the niche in the market, especially once they aren’t busy supplying the Ukraine with ammo. Romania is already shipping spam cans, yugo m67 is still available and about the same price as 5.56, BVA was getting corrosive ammo from Kyrgyzstan and I’m sure that’ll keep coming in under different names/brands, Polish Mesko brass and steel case pops up from time to time, Bulgarian ammo is coming in from global ordinance and so on and do forth. I think it’ll stabilize somewhere around $.35-.40 per round. I might be wishfully thinking but I’m already seeing the market pivot to make up for the loss of Russian ammo
View Quote

Yeah I've been seeing a lot more 7.62x39 from the other former East Bloc countries filling the void of Russian 7.62x39 (which I am still finding a decent quantity of, but is no doubt in its twilight). I have also been seeing a lot of the Belom 7.62x39 from Serbia.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Honda4828:

Cheap Russian made ammo we can no longer get isnt the point.
We cant get it so the price doesnt matter.

Find me ammo at Russian made price points and I'll buy it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:34:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Masterbeef] [#14]
Any change in the outlook?  As of today 7.62 is roughly .40+ per round while cheap .223 can be found for .32ish.

Its not the first time. Things have fluctuated over the past few years and there's always a New Republic (Hungary I think) or other country that steps in the fill the void.

This time feels different. As if there has been a great disturbance in the force.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TommyChong:
I have also been seeing a lot of the Belom 7.62x39 from Serbia.
View Quote

Great ammo. Sealed primers and very consistent — I am very impressed with how well it performs. I need to get it on a chronograph one of these days. It’s priced fairly reasonable as well, compared to pre-pandemic brass cased, non-magnetic 7.62x39. Especially when comparing 2019 steel cased 7.62x39 to today’s pricing.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top