Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2022 8:18:13 PM EDT
AK newb,  gas system locking lever wouldn't go down at the time of purchase and I didn't know enough to reject it.    Gas system looks ground down and it was difficult to take apart and impossible to put back together.  What are my options?  I don't suppose there's any sort of milspec measurements?   How do I fix this? Is it even fixable or does it need to become palmettos problem? Help me proceed, I want to like AKs.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
lever is open enough to where it is flush on frame? i have had a few in the past where it has to be hit in with the palm pretty hard...
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:26:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: d16man] [#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigchillin83] [#4]
are you having trouble putting the magpul upper on gastube or gas tube on gun?

@13.07 is what i was talking bout make sure its flush...
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Lever was not and would not lock down when the rifle was received. Took it apart to inspect what was going on and CANNOT get it back together.  ( I build heavy equipment for a living so I'm mechanically inclined)
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Lever rotated in ANY position and it will not sit down flush on frame.   Meat paws cannot get it to fit in either, thinking it was just tight.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]
not uncommon for levers to be hard to operate... i have had to knock the dust tube in and use bcg to tighten and remove them before they are so tight

@5:30 use bcg to remove

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:10:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Detached] [#8]
it's so tight I can't even get the gas tube to reinstall.  Its either way too long or something is bent.  In the pic with my ham fist hand, that's as far as I can squeeze that tube down.  Doesn't that gas tube look bent in the second post second picture?
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:33:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigchillin83] [#9]
you will have to post a better pic, one without your hand in the way of how far it will go down...

noting is binding up on the magpul upper/lower handguard? lower handguard lever is locked into proper place?

again i have had to wack a few on with my palm pretty hard to get them to seat... usually this comes from an off spec gas tube or gas block... if one is just a hair to long it will be super tight, or if the rear sight block is pinned out of spec, it isnt standard but i have seen quite a few gas tubes shaved down depending on what country it comes from to fit a diff country's gun...
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Are the palmetto tunes known for being tight?    Source for good replacement part to try and fit?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#11]
It's the magpul upper handguard. Smack it gently with a rubber mallet as you press down on the locking lever. Once you get it to turns slightly, you should be able to hammer the locking lever home.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
It's the magpul upper handguard. Smack it gently with a rubber mallet as you press down on the locking lever. Once you get it to turns slightly, you should be able to hammer the locking lever home.
View Quote

that seems excessive.   will it ever loosen up or will assembly always be like this?
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Tried emailing Palmetto and got one response and no further reply.   @palmettostatearmory
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#15]
IM sent,  thank you
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
It's the magpul handgaurd. Too much material keeping it from going back together.

Use a hammer. It's an ak...
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Detached:

that seems excessive.   will it ever loosen up or will assembly always be like this?
View Quote
Welcome to AKs bruh.

A whacking hammer is part of the standard reassembly tool kit.  Often individual parts have to fitted to the final assembly because of how they go together (hence the filed bit you see), and if you go replacing stuff with new parts, they will likely need fitted to your gun as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Y'all realize this thread hasn't been active in almost a year, right?
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Just for an update.   Sent to PSA and it's been fixed and shipped back, probably to never be taken apart again as long as it lives
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#20]
What was the fix?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#21]
PSA probably whacked it with a mallet….

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By tac556:
PSA probably whacked it with a mallet….

View Quote

Entirely possible,    but is that what really needs to be done?    AK newb.   I had a buddy look at it before I asked the question an he agreed that is was WAY too tight of a fit.    Like I say, now that its back it may never be taken apart ever again.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top