Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2023 11:11:57 PM EDT
I want to convert my Bulgy Krink in 5.56 over to 300 Blackout.  Anyone done this?  I'd like to send it off rather than try to do it myself.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep the 5.56 and build a new upper. Share the charging handle and bolt if you want to save that money.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GrimEReaper:
Keep the 5.56 and build a new upper. Share the charging handle and bolt if you want to save that money.
View Quote

Wrong side of the tracks, hombre.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of people have done it, but I would definitely only send it to someone that knows AKs. Should just be a barrel swap, but as with all things AK, that usually isn't as simple as it sounds. Will likely need fitting/tweaking to get it to run reliably.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I built an Bulgarian AK-74 in 300blk and it worked fine with just a barrel swap. That rifle is now a 5.56 rifle and again was just a barrel swap. I found I didn't shoot the 300blk that much because I like to reload and it beats the brass up more than an AR. That means fewer reloads of the brass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

View Quote

For a moment, my mind was frazzled and I had to re-evaluate everything I thought I knew!  LOL  I quickly surmised that he was was misunderstanding what rifle I'm talking about!
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By M1Lou:
I built an Bulgarian AK-74 in 300blk and it worked fine with just a barrel swap. That rifle is now a 5.56 rifle and again was just a barrel swap. I found I didn't shoot the 300blk that much because I like to reload and it beats the brass up more than an AR. That means fewer reloads of the brass.
View Quote

Good to know.  After much study, I've found that I think I'd much rather it be 300 BO with as short a barrel as it has.  I really don't want to do the work myself though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JPL:

Good to know.  After much study, I've found that I think I'd much rather it be 300 BO with as short a barrel as it has.  I really don't want to do the work myself though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M1Lou:

It does do well out of the shorter barrels and would work great out of an 8.3" barrel like the AKS-74U had for 5.45. Now you make me want to piece one together with my 300blk barrel.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm capable of swapping it out myself.  I'll just be impatient about it and won't do as clean a job as a good builder will.  Been looking for a barrel.  Anyone build one or do you have to buy a blank and build it to work?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm capable of swapping it out myself.  I'll just be impatient about it and won't do as clean a job as a good builder will.  Been looking for a barrel.  Anyone build one or do you have to buy a blank and build it to work?
View Quote

Ak Builder used to sell the 16" barrel and they were about it. I think you will need to get a blank and machine it spec.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

View Quote

I pictured that being said by Mr. Kalashnikov in your profile pic.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
It's just a matter of time before PSA has one.  At $1000 for the 5.56 version, I can't imagine the .300 being much different.  Once the initial flurry of guns get bought up, there will be some 'blems' on sale.  It'll probably be more than I can resist and I'll get one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ihon:
It's just a matter of time before PSA has one.  At $1000 for the 5.56 version, I can't imagine the .300 being much different.  Once the initial flurry of guns get bought up, there will be some 'blems' on sale.  It'll probably be more than I can resist and I'll get one.
View Quote

I would really like to just convert mine.  It's already SBR'd and I feel would be much more useful in 300 BO.  I have searched hard for a barrel and simply cannot find one.
Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top