Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2006 3:38:51 PM EDT

MAKE THEIR EARS RING ON THEIR WAY OUT!!!

Get your afternoon calls in before they leave for their two-week break!

Congress CAN be swayed by public pressure - but right now the only pressure they're seeing is from the fucking AZTLANERS marching in the streets waving Mexican flags and defying the rule of law!

So get off your ass, get in your Senators' ear and MAKE A LOT OF NOISE!!!

THIS IS YOUR NATION THESE PEOPLE ARE GIVING AWAY!!!

CAPITOL TOLL-FREE SWITCHBOARD: (888) 355-3588
Call Your Senators & Representatives TODAY - 24hr line.

Tell your Senators that the illegals are rushing the border now in anticipation of a "guest-worker" plan passing the Senate.

Tell your Senator to vote NO on ANY "guest worker" plan for illegal aliens!!!

(The Republicans are working on a "compromise" bill to allow some illegals to get visas)

VOTE NO ON ANY "GUEST-WORKER" PLAN FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!

US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES:
* Locate And Contact YOUR Representative HERE.

HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER:
* Congressman John Boehner, R-OH

DC (202) 225-6205
OH (513) 779-5400

US SENATE:
* Locate And Contact YOUR Senators HERE.

SENATE MAJORITY LEADER:
* Sen. Bill Frist, R-TN

DC  (202)224-3344
TN  (615)352-9411

MY REPRESENTATIVE:
* Congressman Jeff Flake, R-AZ

DC Phone: (202) 225-2635
AZ Phone: (480) 833-0092

ARIZONA SENATORS:
* Sen. Jon Kyl, R-AZ

DC (202) 224-4521
AZ (602) 840-1891

* Sen. John McCain, R-AZ
DC (202) 224-2235
AZ (602) 952-2410

My Sample #1:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Senator John McCain
The United States Senate

Re: Illegal Immigration and Border Security

Dear Senator McCain,

As a registered Republican and one of your constituents in the state of Arizona, I am writing you to voice my emphatic  opposition to including any "guest worker" provision into a border-security bill. As you probably know, the majority of Arizonans have recently ranked illegal immigration as their top concern, even ahead of terrorism.

I strongly oppose any form of a "guest worker" plan that allows illegal immigrants to legally remain in the country for the following reasons:

1) We must support and defend the rule of law. Do NOT reward illegal immigrants who violated our laws by allowing them access to "guest-worker visas" that other immigrants have to apply and wait for. We are a nation of laws, not conveniences.

2) Congress should protect our citizens first and foremost. Illegal immigrants have no medical tests (like for drug-resistant TB) required to be here nor to stay here under the "guest-worker" plans being considered, unlike all other immigrants must have and pass. Also, young illegal immigrants are greatly over-represented among street gangs in most large American cities as well as our prison population.

3) Congress has a duty to protect and defend our nation. We're at war with terrorists who know very well how and where to get into our nation easily by the hundreds - people are doing it every night. Homeland Security starts at home - SECURE OUR BORDERS!

4) We need to stop passing the buck on illegal immigrants. In 1986 we rewarded three million illegal immigrants with amnesty and promised THEN to get tough on illegal immigration. Since then 10 million more illegals have flooded into our nation and we are yet again offering a reward to this new wave of illegal immigrants. If we stop rewarding today's lawbreakers - we'll stop the incentive for tomorrow's wave of illegal immigrants.

5) Polls consistently show that Americans are strongly against rewarding illegal immigration with a path to citizenship. We must not reward people who's first act upon coming to America is to IGNORE OUR LAWS and cheat against those awaiting LEGAL immigration.

6) We need to abandon any sort of "guest-worker" plan. Instead we should focus on increasing the penalties for employers of illegal immigrants, strengthening border security far more than it is, and allowing border patrol AND local law enforcement more power to go after and pursue illegal immigrants.

Sir, I respectfully ask you to keep these points in mind and I strongly urge you to oppose ANY form of a "guest worker" provision that rewards law-breaking immigrants by giving them a path towards citizenship that many people may never qualify for.

Remember that polls show the American people are strongly and consistently against rewarding illegal immigrants and that conservative Republicans have made gains in Congress in the last three elections and will continue to be so in the future by supporting the rule of law and protecting America's law-abiding citizens.

In short, I emphatically urge you to support the rule of law and do not reward in any way those who flagrantly defy our laws.

I thank you for your attention to this matter and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

T. Macallan.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** Stand up for the rule of law!

*** Do NOT reward law-breakers while HONEST immigrants follow the rules, pass the medical tests, pay their dues and wait patiently for years for the PRIVILEGE to work here!

*** Do NOT fall for the big lie that Americans won't work basic-skill jobs!

*** Americans DID all these jobs before there were 15 million illegal aliens working for sub-minimum wage!

*** Illegal immigrants AND the employers that hire them are keeping wages for these jobs too low and THAT is a crime against ALL low-income Americans and HONEST immigrants!

*** Defend our borders and punish law-breakers - both illegal immigrants AND those that hire them!

*** We are a nation that follows the rule of law, not the will of screaming law-breakers marching under another nation's flag!

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]

McCain hails immig march

Sen. John McCain gave a big thumbs up last night to demonstrators planning to march across the Brooklyn Bridge today in support of comprehensive immigration reform.

"If such demonstrations continue, I think we will have a bill for the President to sign soon," the Arizona Republican declared at an Irish and American flag-studded town hall meeting in the Bronx sponsored by the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform.

"The more debate, the more demonstrations, the more likely we will prevail," he told more than 3,000 cheering supporters - many clad in green-and-white shirts - who packed the St. Barnabas High School auditorium in Wakefield.

The Irish group supports a bill proposed by McCain and Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) that would allow law-abiding undocumented immigrants already in the U.S. to stay and work toward citizenship.

"This is a huge movement and the last hope for 11 million of us," said Pamela, 25, who came here three years ago with her daughter as a tourist and never left. Her daughter also is considered undocumented.

Meeting organizers urged those in last night's crowd to join in today's Break the Chains march, from Borough Hall, Brooklyn, to Federal Plaza in Manhattan.

Marchers are to meet at Remsen and Court Sts. at 10:15 a.m.

Alright - these fuckers need to hear from US now!!!

EMAIL YOUR SENATORS TODAY!

AND THEN CALL THEM!

AND CALL THEM AGAIN TOMORROW!

AND AGAIN THE NEXT DAY!

AND THE NEXT!!!!

Remember that Senators (yes even McCain) got their ears chewed off by us over the AWB extension - and McCain even REVERSED HIS POSITION on it overnight and voted against the extension!

They CAN be swayed by public pressure - but right now the only pressure they're seeing is from the fucking AZTLANERS marching in the streets waving Mexican flags and defying the rule of law!

GET OFF YOUR ASS, GET IN YOUR SENATORS EAR AND MAKE A LOT OF NOISE!!!

Click on the links in the top post, send your emails and make those phone calls!!!

THIS IS YOUR NATION THESE PEOPLE ARE GIVING AWAY!!!

Stand up for the rule of law!

Do NOT reward law-breakers while HONEST immigrants follow the rules, pass the medical tests, pay their dues and wait patiently for years for the PRIVILEGE to work here!

Do NOT fall for the big lie that Americans won't work basic-skill jobs!

Americans DID all these jobs before there were 15 million illegal aliens working for sub-minimum wage!

Illegal immigrants AND the employers that hire them are keeping wages for these jobs too low and THAT is a crime against ALL low-income Americans!

Defend our borders and punish law-breakers - both illegal immigrants AND those that hire them!

We are a nation that follows the rule of law, not the will of screaming law-breakers marching under another nation's flag!

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Deer cooonnngreeezzzman, i beery beery muhch want to staeee in des country.

My name es Pedro and I usseed to live in mehico. I weerkd on de railroad and made one dollar a day. I would den go see lucy, she would give me pussy, and den take me dollar away.

In north americo, Bubba pay me $2 a day fix roof, western union take 5%, Lucy get her dollar, and I stab someone in trailer park.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Deer cooonnngreeezzzman, i beery beery muhch want to staeee in des country.

My name es Pedro and I usseed to live in mehico. I weerkd on de railroad and made one dollar a day. I would den go see lucy, she would give me pussy, and den take me dollar away.

In north americo, Bubba pay me $2 a day fix roof, western union take 5%, Lucy get her dollar, and I stab someone in trailer park.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate your post...it gave me additional names and points of concern to write about in my own letters...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Dear  ( insert congressman's name here),

Either the illegal aliens go....or YOU do.
You decide.

Regards,

(insert your name here)

I like to take the K.I.S.S. approach.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dear  ( insert congressman's name here),

Either the illegal aliens go....or YOU do.
You decide.

Regards,

(insert your name here)

I like to take the K.I.S.S. approach.

That works too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:02:58 AM EDT
[#7]
... Good stuff here bro - thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Man, my blood boils at the thought of amnesty, EVEN FOR THE FRIGGING IRISH!!!!  It's not a question of one nationality/race/sexual preference over the other, it's about the frigging LAW, national security, and all of the reasons Mac so eloquently stated in his letter.  As much as I love my ancestral homeland, I don't want those gin soaked bogtrotters over here illegally!.  (yes, I'm having a bit of fun with that last part).  

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

...a bill proposed by McCain and Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) that would allow law-abiding undocumented immigrants already in the U.S. to stay and work toward citizenship.

What the fuck is a "law-abiding" ILLEGAL immigrant!???

Notice how the WordMasters in the media have now seamlessly replaced "illegal" with "undocumented" so that now they can parse togther such absurdities as "law-abiding undocumented immigrants" with almost nobody noticing the glaring contradiction?

Fuck I hate these insidious, conniving, forked-tongue assholes.  

Just like the fucking Aztlanic Asshole in my sigline:
|
|
|
|
V
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Sent these to the following people:

Senator Mel Martinez (R-FL)
Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL)
US Rel Ileana Ros-Leighnen (R-FL18)
Senator Bill Frist (R-TN)
Senator John McCain (RINO-AZ)
President George Bush
Vice President Dick Cheney

Dear Senator,

I am writing to most strongly urge you to oppose any bill granting amnesty to illegal immigrants and not holding those who help illegal immigrants accountable for their crimes. My wife and I see illegal immigration as the single greatest threat to America today, and the current legislation being proposed is a step in the wrong direction. Politicians seem to be forgetting that illegal immigration is a crime, and those who commit it are criminals. Illegal immigrants are not "guests", "migrants", or any other politically correct term. They are criminals who have invaded our country illegally and who cause great harm to our security and economy.
Any legislation that does not hold these criminals and those who help them 100% accountable is a slap in the face of every immigrant who came to this country legally and worked long and hard to earn the right to call themselves American.
Senator, I once again urge you to accept nothing but a tough stance on illegal immigrants.

Very Respectfully,
Mr. and Mrs. Tanerite

Dear Senator,

I am writing this letter to urge you to oppose any immigration reform bill that gives amnesty, either explicit or implied, to illegal immigrants. Any bill that does not expressly require illegal immigrants to leave the country before being allowed to re-enter is amnesty, regardless of what kind of politically correct term it is hidden behind. Senator, if I were to kill someone and the police were unable to find me for a long time, I would still be a murderer, regardless of what impact I may have on the economy. Illegal immigrants are in the same category. They are criminals. Those who knowingly employ illegal immigrants are aiding and abetting criminals. It is time for this legislature to take serious steps at adressing the real problem of illegal immigrants and the greedy employers who hire them.
Senator, I once again urge you to take a hard line on illegal immigration. Allowing these illegal immigrants to stay here is a direct slap to the face of every hard working American, like yourself, who came to this country legally and worked extremely long and extremely hard for the right to call themselves American.

Very Respectfully,
Mr. and Mrs. Tanerite

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Sent e-mails to: President George Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney,  Frist, McCain, Cubin (WY), Thomas (WY) and Enzi (WY)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Stand up and defend the rule of law!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Ya would think after all the talk here this would be a tacked thread with lots of tags from people who had sent e-mails, guess more and more gun owners are sheep who talk shit but don't walk the walk.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Done-

This needs a tack c'mon Mods
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Done
ETA here is my letter.

XXXXXXX XXXXXX
Glendale, AZ 85308

Dear Senator McCain,

I’m sick and tired of hearing rhetoric about illegal aliens only coming to America to do jobs that Americans won’t do. People spouting this line never add the qualifying statement “for the wages offered”. It’s very simple, if employers need workers then they have to pay the wages to get them, this is basic supply and demand economics.
The problem is that employers are not willing to pay wages that the market has set so they import illegal workers. This is bad for Americans in general, and especially bad for American tax payers who are left to pay for the services that these workers use.
I’m going to be very honest with you, the American tax payers know what is going on. We see any legislation that allows illegal aliens to remain in this country as amnesty, regardless of how it is spun. We do not want this and we absolutely will vote people advocating these policies out of office.

Regards, Fourays2
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Done.

Thanks for posting Mac.

Get this tacked.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Done and done.  Thank you for taking the time to assemble this information and post it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Letters sent to Rep. Bob Beauprez and Sen. Wayne Allard.

I hope you don't mind me borrowing parts of your well-written letter to use in my own, Mac.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't forget about www.vote.com Ya can go there and vote & it's quick and easy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Sent emails off to

Senator Bill Frist (R-Tn)
Senator Mel Martinez (R-FL)
Senator Bill Nelson (D-fl)
Congressman Robert Wexler (D-Fl19)
Congressman John Boehner (R-OH)

heh.. like telling a guy named martinez i dont want illegal mexis here will accomplish anything

Quoted:
Ya would think after all the talk here this would be a tacked thread with lots of tags from people who had sent e-mails, guess more and more gun owners are sheep who talk shit but don't walk the walk.

Perhaps some have contacted thier reps, but dont feel the need to post it hoping for a pat on the back.  Perhaps they really dont give a shit.  Or perhaps they know that either way this goes, it will be very, very bad and theyre too busy loading mags to email a rep that will most likely ignore them anyway..

Lets face it, if congress votes for deportation, anything that speaks spanish will start to riot.  If they vote for amnesty, then youll have several million very pissed off citizens ready to start shooting people who dont speak engrish..
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm in...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#22]
This was sent to my Senators & Representative.

I am a registered, active voter in the state of Florida.  The recent wave of demonstrations by criminals has me quite concerned, so I will keep this short and to the point.

Deport all illegal aliens (of any ethnic descent) or I will vote against you in the next election.  Any vote for amnesty disguised as a guest worker program is a vote you have lost in your next campaign.

Respectfully,

xxxx xxxxx

MAC - You might want to somehow further highlight the "find your rep here" links.  I missed them the first two times around.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps some have contacted thier reps, but dont feel the need to post it hoping for a pat on the back.  Perhaps they really dont give a shit.  Or perhaps they know that either way this goes, it will be very, very bad and theyre too busy loading mags to email a rep that will most likely ignore them anyway..

Lets face it, if congress votes for deportation, anything that speaks spanish will start to riot.  If they vote for amnesty, then youll have several million very pissed off citizens ready to start shooting people who dont speak engrish..

Who want's a pat on the back, that's just crazzzzzy. Take a look at the wallmart threads & all the other superfluis crap that's posted over and over and over along with all the saber rattling about the illegals, gun control  & everyting else.

Now they have a chance to do something worthwhile where you're voice is herd by those in DC & even have a letter to plagerize & use, yet ya hear nothing about it.

Guess this issue is not as good as a BOTD post here.

Let the illegals riot, they are here ILLEGAL and should not have anything to do with AMERICAN laws since they are ILLEGAL.

Did you know the Mexican government has hired lobiest in DC and have been lobying for illegal mexican rights. What a crok of shit if you aksk me, but with everybody wanting something and the Mexican government paying Americans to take up on behaf of ILLEGAL's and to allow more and more illegals into America you have a major issue that needs to be addressed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:32:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the links Macallan, I used part of your letter as it was great.  I wrote Sen Hutchison, Sen Cornyn, and FWIW, my rep, Chet Edwards.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't really post here much, but I have been lurking for a long time.  I have to say that I can't think of any other political issue that bothers me more than illegal immigration.  In the past I have been relatively complacent when it comes to political issues for various reasons, but this one simply put me over the edge.

I emailed this to my state senators (Feingold and Kohl):

I will try to keep this correspondence short; as I am sure you are a busy person.  I am a resident of Wisconsin attending the University of Minnesota, which explains my Minnesota address. No issue in recent memory has concerned me as much as illegal immigration.
I think it is important to state that I am not against immigration in general; I think that the influx of new talent and ideas is very important to America.  The problem that arises with illegal immigration is the lack of control over who enters our country.  The proliferation of the El-Salvadoran gang, MS-13 in many states across the country, including our own, is an example of the consequences improperly regulated immigration can cause.
  I encourage you to support HR4437.  While this piece of legislation is not a quick fix, nor the perfect solution, I believe it is a step in the right direction.  As I am sure you are well aware, the issue of immigration is one that will require a lot of hard work and discussion in the future to manage properly.
In closing, I would like to thank you for your service to the state of Wisconsin and its people.  Thank you for your time and consideration regarding this matter.

As you can see I kept it on the civil side, even though I was tempted not to.

Now, I have several questions:

1.  Who else should I write to?  I saw some good examples in the thread, but I'm not sure if they apply to me, because they are out of my state.  Should I send something to the Senate Majority Leader?  

2.  Is it okay if I simply take out references to WI and send it to the others?  I don't want this to be disregarded because it seems like a mass mailing.

Thanks for your response.  I really want to help out.  It feels good to be an active participant for a change!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#26]
i hve emailed them over week ago and still have not heard anything from them.
so i emailed them all again today.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I got an idea.  Why don't we cut the salaries in Congress to minimum wage, no staff and no benefits and then see how many want to do it.  ..And no, you won't get free legal representation when they catch you taking bribes and "gifts". ....you'll just go to jail...."real jail" with Bubba.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag for action
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Only 4 occupations are more than 50% illegal immigrant dominated, stucco masons, tailors, produce sorters and beauty salon workers. But even in those four job categories, native-born workers account for more than 40 percent of the work force. so I guess we will have to hire illegals to build that wall on the border

April 04, 2006, 7:47 a.m.
Poor Trend
We’re importing Latin America’s poor.

Forget the long-running bipartisan concern about creating an educated, highly skilled workforce. What the U.S. economy desperately needs is more high-school dropouts — so desperately that we should import them hand over fist.

Such is the logic of the contention by advocates of lax immigration that the flow of illegal labor from south of the border is a boon to our economy. But it doesn't make intuitive sense that importing the poor of Latin America would benefit us. If low-skill workers were key to economic growth, Mexico would be an economic powerhouse, and impoverished Americans would be slipping south over the Rio Grande.

The National Research Council reports that an immigrant to the U.S. without a high-school diploma — whether legal or illegal — consumes $89,000 more in governmental services than he pays in taxes during his lifetime. An immigrant with only a high-school diploma is a net cost of $31,000. Eighty percent of illegal immigrants have no more than a high-school degree, and 60 percent have less than a high-school degree.

Steve Camarota of the Washington, D.C.-based Center for Immigration Studies estimates that illegal immigrants cost the federal government $10 billion a year. State and local governments lose even more. Illegals pay some taxes, but not enough to cover governmental expenses like Medicaid and treatment for the uninsured.

According to Camarota, if illegal immigrants were legalized, their net annual cost to the federal government would only increase, tripling to $30 billion a year. Immigrant workers don't earn enough to pay much in taxes, while they qualify for all sorts of governmental assistance. As they become legal, they will get even more assistance — the benefits that they get from the Earned Income Tax Credit, for instance, would increase by a factor of 10.

Whatever benefit illegals provide to the economy in general must be minuscule. All workers without a high-school education — illegal and otherwise — account for only 3 percent of economic output. Even if illegal immigrants were dominant in low-skill industries, their broader impact would be small. But they aren't dominant, and that includes job categories associated with immigrants. Nearly 60 percent of cabdrivers are native-born. In only four of 473 job classifications are immigrants a majority of the workers.

The U.S. has an ample supply of native-born workers with a high-school education or less, but Camarota suggests they are being pushed out of the labor force by the influx of illegals. From 2000 to 2005, the percentage of high-school dropouts holding a job dropped from 53 to 48, and this trend was particularly pronounced in states with the highest levels of immigration. Illegals compete with the very workers least equipped to thrive in our economy.

Pro-immigration conservatives sometimes argue that, through immigration, we are importing social renewal. But the illegitimacy rate among Hispanic immigrants in the U.S. is 40 percent. They aren't coming from countries that are paradisiacal models of social conservatism. The illegitimacy rate in Mexico is roughly one third, and in El Salvador it is 73 percent.

With the U.S. population aging, don't we need highly fertile immigrants to replenish our working-age population? Actually, there aren't enough immigrants to change our age structure significantly. According to Camarota, 66.2 percent of the U.S. population was of working age in 2000. If all post-1980s immigrants and their U.S.-born children are excluded, the number falls to only 65.9 percent. With immigrants, the U.S. fertility rate is 2.1; without them, it would be 2.0.

Immigration from Latin America, in short, does not chiefly benefit our economy, government or society, but rather the immigrants themselves. Their motives, if not their means, are admirable — they want to improve their lives. Advocates of a lax immigration policy should admit that their policy has a humanitarian, not an economic, rationale, and its beneficiaries aren't Americans but mainly people from rural Mexico.

If we really need more poorly educated workers here, we can always rely, unfortunately, on the public schools to produce them indigenously.

— Rich Lowry is author of Legacy: Paying the Price for the Clinton Years.

Another article on the SAME SUBJECT in a LIBERAL PAPER by a DIFFERENT AUTHOR...incredible

April 2, 2006
The Nation
Immigrants and the Economics of Hard Work

By JOHN M. BRODER
LOS ANGELES

IT is asserted both as fact and as argument: the United States needs a constant flow of immigrants to perform jobs Americans will not stoop to do.

But what if those jobs paid $50 an hour, with benefits, instead of $7 or $10 or $15?

"Of course there are jobs that few Americans will take because the wages and working conditions have been so degraded by employers," said Jared Bernstein, of the liberal Economic Policy Institute. "But there is nothing about landscaping, food processing, meat cutting or construction that would preclude someone from doing these jobs on the basis of their nativity. Nothing would keep anyone, immigrant or native born, from doing them if they paid better, if they had health care."

The most comprehensive recent study of immigrant workers comes from the Center for Immigration Studies, a group that, unlike Mr. Bernstein's, advocates stricter controls on immigration. The study, by the center's research director, Steven A. Camarota, found that immigrants are a majority of workers in only 4 of 473 job classifications — stucco masons, tailors, produce sorters and beauty salon workers. But even in those four job categories, native-born workers account for more than 40 percent of the work force.

While it might be a challenge to find an American-born cab driver in New York or parking lot attendant in Phoenix or grape cutter in the San Joaquin Valley of California, according to Mr. Camarota's study of census data from 2000-2005, 59 percent of cab drivers in the United States are native born, as are 66 percent of all valet parkers. Half of all workers in agriculture were born in this country.

"The idea that there are jobs that Americans won't do is economic gibberish," Mr. Camarota said. "All the big occupations that immigrants are in — construction, janitorial, even agriculture — are overwhelmingly done by native Americans."

But where they compete for jobs, he said, the immigrants have driven up the jobless rate for some Americans. According to his study, published in March, unemployment among the native born with less than a high school education was 14.3 percent in 2005; the figure for the immigrant population was 7.4 percent.

While Mr. Bernstein would agree that the least-educated American workers are at a disadvantage, he does not favor curbs on immigration. Even the least-skilled Americans benefit from the presence of a large pool of immigrant workers, Mr. Bernstein said. He said that the 11 million illegal immigrants are consumers, too, creating demand for goods and services and the jobs they produce. He also said their willingness to work at low wages helps keep inflation in check, benefiting the nation as a whole.

"It's quite clear that immigrants lead to lower prices of goods and services, and the lower inflation helps boost the economy, and that helps all Americans," Mr. Bernstein said. "You have a significant increase in the labor supply due to immigrant inflows, yet the wage effects seem isolated among the least educated, and they're not huge."

But George J. Borjas, a professor of economics and social policy at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, said he believed that the flow of migrants had significantly depressed wages for Americans in virtually all job categories and income levels. His study found that the average annual wage loss for all American male workers from 1980 to 2000 was $1,200, or 4 percent, and nearly twice that, in percentage terms, for those without a high school diploma. The impact was also disproportionately high on African-Americans and Hispanic-Americans, Professor Borjas found.

"What this is, is a huge redistribution of wealth away from workers who compete with immigrants to those who employ them," he said.

There is one place and one category of work in which the "jobs Americans will not do" mantra appears to be close to true —the salad bowl of California. Tim Chelling, the communications director for the Western Growers Association, a cooperative of big farm operators, said that last winter growers in California's Imperial Valley needed 300 workers to harvest lettuce and broccoli.

They went to the local unemployment office, he said, and posted a notice seeking workers, who would be paid about $9 an hour and receive bare-bones health insurance. "Apparently one guy showed up, and he didn't last through the first morning," Mr. Chelling said. All the jobs went to Mexican laborers, most of them probably illegal, he said.

Mr. Chelling, whose group supports liberalized immigration laws and guest worker programs, argued that the use of immigrant labor was not a question of money, though growers certainly prefer to pay low wages to keep costs down. Farm labor is back-breaking, he said, requiring endurance, dexterity and patience that few Americans possess.

Last weekend, some 500,000 people took to the streets of Los Angeles to protest a tough immigration bill passed by the House in December and to put pressure on the Senate, which is debating the issue now. In the crowd were very few African-American faces, noted Ronald W. Walters, a professor of government and politics at the University of Maryland. Their economic prospects are directly threatened by the huge influx of illegal immigrants, he said. African-Americans are competing for jobs in construction, hotels and restaurants, meat packing and textiles, he said, and they lose out to immigrants willing to accept lower pay and fewer benefits.

"The African-American leadership has a lot of angst about this," he said, adding: "It's not just a black problem, but we are the most acutely affected. The fact is, it's hurting us."

Joel Kotkin, a fellow at the New America Foundation, a public policy institute, said that the American economy is large enough to absorb most of the new immigrants without pushing too many native-born Americans to the margins.

But he said the situation could change dramatically if the economy were to enter a downturn, particularly in the housing sector where thousands of immigrants are laborers. If the housing bubble popped, Mr. Kotkin said, competition for the remaining jobs would be fierce and could stoke anti-immigrant sentiments. He recalled the anti-immigrant proposition approved by Californians in 1994, when the state was mired in recession. "The important factor is the state of the economy," he said. "An economy that is growing rapidly can absorb these people more easily than one that isn't."

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Done, hope more people also write.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Here is my letter. If you like it feel free to copy it and/or tailor it to your congressman. Hope some of you guys don't mind that I borrowed some of what you wrote and incorporated it in there.

Dear xxxxx,

I am sick and tired of seeing our congressmen and congresswomen doing what's in their best interest rather than representing the will of the American people.

Any congressman or congresswoman who is not representing the will of the people, but represents their own interests instead, is in direct violation of the Constitution and the oath they took when they were sworn into office.

Any congressman or congresswoman who supports criminals and criminal activity is in direct violation of the Constitution and the oath they took when they were sworn into office.

I don't think any honorable and sane person would deny either of those things.

Yet, there are many congressmen and congress women who are not only openly advocating defiance against the will of the American people, but also advocating illegal activity and the passage of legislation that would give amnesty to criminals involved in illegal activity.

The criminal activity I am referring to is illegal immigration.

Any congressman or congresswoman who supports passing legislation of amnesty for illegal immigrants is not supporting the will of the American people, as countless polls of American citizens and legal immigrants have shown.

It isn't surprising that the vast majority of American citizens would be against this illegal activity when this country, especially states that border Mexico, have seen vast increases in drugs, gangs, rape, murder, and other violent activity, which is directly related to these illegal immigrants.

It isn't surprising that the vast majority of American citizens would be against this illegal activity when these criminals are offered "free" health care, education, and welfare, which amounts to nothing less than blatant theft from every tax paying American citizen and legal immigrant.

It isn't surprising that the vast majority of American citizens would be against this illegal activity, when these illegal immigrants openly propose to steal our land and claim it for their own territory, as is the case with the Aztlan movement.

Any legislation that does not hold these criminals and those who help them 100% accountable is a slap in the face of every American citizen and every immigrant who came to this country legally and worked long and hard to earn the right to call themselves American.

Any legislation that does not hold these criminals and those who help them 100% accountable is strongly suspect to be nothing more than politicians pandering to the potential votes from illegal immigrants to keep themselves in power, rather than following the will of the American people.

In short, either the illegals go, or YOU go, because the American citizens will vote you out of office.

Regards,

xxxxx

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Done.

Thanks for the links!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, I faxed my 2 liberal Senators, Boxer and Feinstein and my Rep., Dana Rohrabacher...amnesty didn't work in 1965, 1986, 1994 and it won't work now.  Thank you for admitting your failures.. now do the right thing and close the border before you do anything else.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm doing it and all but my "representatives" won't get past the first line before hitting the delete button.

Diane Feinstein
Barbara Boxer
Ellen Tauscher

Friggin' axis of evil. Unholy trio. Three strikes.

I gotta' move.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#35]
tag
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#36]
tag for later
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Done.

Great thread.  Very much deserves a TACK.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Well done Mac !!
My congress critters probably know my name well.  I'm always calling and emailing them on one thing or another.
But this needs daily attention.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#39]
sent. I hope they get their heads out of their asses
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Tagging so I can do this later.....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Here is what I sent to my 2 senators.  With slight wording changes I sent the same to my rep.

rj

Senator Chambliss,

The United States of America and her citizens are under siege by countless numbers of illegal aliens. The estimates run from 11 million to over 20 million. I would not be at all surprised that if a sweeping amnesty bill was passed we would see 25 million or more come out of the woodwork.

These people are part of an industry that is vital to the survival of their nation supplying the major portion of the nation's foreign currency. The industry is illegal immigration and their nation is Mexico. It is by design of the Mexican government that these people are here. Without the remittances the illegals send home Mexico would be in worse shape than it is already. Everyone with any eye for what is happening can see that Mexico needs to modernize it's laws and eliminate corruption so that business can have a chance to thrive and create jobs for Mexicans. This is very hard to accomplish and would take a long time. It is far easier to send millions of Mexicans to America illegally and have them send money back to Mexico to keep the country and it's ruling elite afloat.

I call on you and your fellow Senators to adopt HR4437 and do not dilute it's content or insert any guest worker program. The USA will have to develop the ability to effectively secure it's southern border before any guest worker program can be instituted. Until the border can be controlled our southern neighbor will continue to take advantage of the American worker and taxpayer.

Our leaders should call on the government of Mexico to reform instead of Mexico calling for reforms by the US government. I think it is absurd that a country as lawless and corrupt as Mexico should be calling for the US to change it's laws so as to accomodate Mexican wishes. The images of many thousands of people marching in American cities and waving MEXICAN flags should be enough to make any patriotic American  pause and think before acting to accomodate these individuals.

I think that any perusal of the available information shows that the illegal immigrant does not help the American economy. When you take into account their costs to hospitals, schools, the judicial system [ nearly a third of federal prisoners are illegals ], local law enforcement, etc a person cannot come up with any other conclusion than the illegal alien presence in America is a tremendous burden on the American taxpayer. When you look at the number of deaths directly attributable to illegal aliens it becomes a travesty since these people should not even be here in the first place.

Thank You
 rjay

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#43]
done, and done.  thanks for kicking me in the ass.

sent emails to

Senator Bill Frist TN
Senator Alexander TN
Congressman Jim Cooper TN
Congressman John Boehner (R-OH)

I'll make some phone calls tommorrow too.

sent a rant out to most of the people in my email address book too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:21:57 AM EDT
[#44]
BTT
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
BTT

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Lots of good info here!  I have been calling and faxing our public overlords on this issue for four or five years now.  For some reason they do not want to listen to us, the inferior public.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
If they vote for amnesty, then youll have several million very pissed off citizens ready to start shooting people who dont speak engrish..

works for me lol...I'm having a bacon and tomato sandwich right now because the non english speaker downstairs at the deli haven't figured out that the "L" in BLT stands for lettuce.  

To be honest, though, it was kinda tasty w/o the lettuce.  BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT, DAMNIT!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#48]
I read this post yesterday and contacted my representatives for the first time. Now today, they drag out another amnesty bill in the senate. We need to write again, today to let them know again that we do not want amnesty. I, will get off my ass and write to my representatives again today, please do the same.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I've recieved only 1 reply and it was from Senator Frist.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#50]
BUMP!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top