Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:30:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nvroundman:
That's going to take some time and money to fix.
View Quote

Last time I saw damage like that in Houston was Hurricane Alicia (sp?) in I think 1984.....or something like that.

ETA...beat...and I didn't live there during Ike.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
4 dead and 1M without power. That's insane for a storm that lasted less than an hour
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By OUSooner:
Anyone know if MD Anderson is okay? I go back down there next week!
View Quote

My brother works in the stroke unit, it's all good there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Watching that cunt bitch is like watching dog diarrhea shit dry in hot sun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Listening to the news the damage sounds a lot worse than I first realized.  Parts of Harris county could be without power for weeks!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:
Friend in Cy-Fair/Jersey Village said it was quite frisky and no power as of this morning
View Quote

My son lives in Jersey Village and he couldn't go to work as he had no power and he couldn't get to his vehicles in his garage. The main garage door is the only way to gain access. He said it was incredibly nasty last night.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

My son lives in Jersey Village and he couldn't go to work as he had no power and he couldn't get to his vehicles in his garage. The main garage door is the only way to gain access. He said it was incredibly nasty last night.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Friend in Cy-Fair/Jersey Village said it was quite frisky and no power as of this morning

Still no power, that friend is texting me about setting up a new Gen set a family member dropped off to run the fridge and maybe some fans
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I am about 20 miles from Houston and it got pretty nasty. We never lost power and nothing major happened in my area, thank god.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, I remember a long time ago windows were getting blown out in NYC and one dissected a car like one of those new ninja bombs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
I am about 20 miles from Houston and it got pretty nasty. We never lost power and nothing major happened in my area, thank god.
View Quote

By the time that storm made it over the Beaumont area, it was pretty mild thankfully.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in Katy and the wife and I got home about 6.  The sky was getting very dark quickly and I walked outside to talk to my neighbor in his driveway.  After about a minute, the wind picked up instantly and the rain went from zero to 10 instantly like a shower had been turned on.  We both high-tailed it back into our houses, and I watched the wind start kicking up and the rain started coming down sideways.  Power blinked on/off/on/off then held steady, so I put the salmon in the oven.  Then the power went out.  Just as was getting mad about the salmon, the power came back on.  We all gathered in the bedroom during the worst of it, which lasted about 20 mins.  We are lucky to have power.  Everyone I work with is without power, and some have lost trees and worse.  We dodged that one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By savage1971:
How did Tomball fair? We haven't heard from our daughter since yesterday afternoon before it hit. They were getting prepped for it then, she had a feeling it was going to be bad.
View Quote

@savage1971

I just drove through Tomball west to east on 2920.  About what you'd expect from a thunder/wind storm.  Occasional downed trees, a few damaged roofs and signs, and some traffic lights out.  Power and tree crews out and about.

Nothing crazy at all.

Pretty much business as usual.  All the restaurants and shopping centers had power and were open and gas stations were busy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
4 dead and 1M without power. That's insane for a storm that lasted less than an hour
View Quote

The pics are crazy!  
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Won't be surprised if that goes up quite a bit
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BigHumidity:

Hola from Bridgeland. You're welcome to join my tribe once the power stays off for a week and the soccer mom city here descends into lawlessness.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kmh621:
We’re in the Blackhorse/Bridgeland area. Heard the wife’s phone go off for the tornado warning while me and the kid were eating dinner. She comes running out of her office asking why we’re not moving. We told her no one cares, they send those out all the time. Took a look outside to appease her and our tune suddenly changed. Definitely the wildest weather system I’ve encountered. Very similar to the Derocho that went through the Midwest a few years ago. Now we enjoy the drone of generators all night lol.

Hola from Bridgeland. You're welcome to join my tribe once the power stays off for a week and the soccer mom city here descends into lawlessness.

I'm just south of y'all, around Morton and Fry.

I went to go get dinner from my friendly local hate chicken, and the bottom fell out as I was driving back home. My wife is pretty sure that a small twister passed overhead, especially considering our back fence was bowed over, and the back neighbor's side fence was flattened.

She also said there was a telltale howl from outside, and being from Oklahoma, I believe she knows what to listen for.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I appreciate the offer. Just got home from being on shift. Luckily, power was restored to us in Black Horse last night. Our call volume for the day was 3x that of normal. We got a break around 9:30pm, just long enough to eat, before heading back out again. In my travels, Hwy 6 and West Rd. seemed to have been hit pretty good. RIP to the taco truck that was parked in the parking lot by the old Sweet Mesquite. We always grocery shop the morning of for that days meals and yesterday it was astonishing to see how many people were in the grocery store that didn't seem to have a day's worth of food in reserves.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#18]

I appreciate the offer. Just got home from being on shift. Luckily, power was restored to us in Black Horse last night. Our call volume for the day was 3x that of normal. We got a break around 9:30pm, just long enough to eat, before heading back out again. In my travels, Hwy 6 and West Rd. seemed to have been hit pretty good. RIP to the taco truck that was parked in the parking lot by the old Sweet Mesquite. We always grocery shop the morning of for that days meals and yesterday it was astonishing to see how many people were in the grocery store that didn't seem to have a day's worth of food in reserves.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-How-Long-Would-Society-Last-During-a-Total-Grid-Collapse-/5-2654396/?page=1
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#19]
The neighbor behind us lasted maybe an hour without power before they had to fire up the genny to run their 72" flatscreen or whatever it is. It's so big we can watch it through our back windows. Could get interesting if he forgets it's on Screen Cast lol.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#20]
The neighbor behind us lasted maybe an hour without power before they had to fire up the genny to run their 72" flatscreen or whatever it is. It's so big we can watch it through our back windows. Could get interesting if he forgets it's on Screen Cast lol.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#21]

that's gonna take a minute to repair, ouch.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By smokie:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148098/IMG_5288-3217241.jpg

that's gonna take a minute to repair, ouch.
View Quote

Pop in some tall woodies and crosses, hang the lines from insulators and use those while the steel towers are replaced.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

The Texas Medical Center made it through with little or no damage.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Hell yeah!

Got to fly through the storms taking off from DFW. After sitting on the ramp for 45 minutes, we're rolling down the runway, and some old dumbshit runs to the lavatory, with the F/A yelling at his ass to stay in the lav. One helluva turbulent ride, but fun which reminded me of the Bawk helicopter days.

Got to Conroe a few hours ahead of the storm. Very windy and a lotta rain. Brother lost power but has a whole house generator.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Sad for the people affected and especially those who lost their lives. I pray to the good Lord for their families and safety to all.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if The Woodlands, aka The City in the Trees, got slammed. Those people like big trees close to their houses.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#27]
What's the situation around Minute Made Park?

The wife and I are going to a concert there next Sunday. And then maybe Johnson Space Center on Monday. Worried about the availability of hotels now.

Anyone have a take on what those areas are going to be like?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
I wonder if The Woodlands, aka The City in the Trees, got slammed. Those people like big trees close to their houses.
View Quote

I thought that was Kingwood lol
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

So far as I can tell, no, but a lot of traffic lights are still out today.  With the traffic results you'd expect.  Maybe 0.87% of people know what to do at a 4-way stop.  Some people I know are still w/o power. We never lost ours.  Lina Hidalgo is that fucking incompetent.  Ed Emmitt is probably laughing and asking if we miss him yet.

My building downtown is shut for awhile as they replace glass.  Thankfully I'm remote.

Pretty day outside right now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By NorthBridge:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NorthBridge:

Kingwood is now the City In The Water, after the last weeks' rain...  

I think the attractions in Houston will be open, but I'd lock down a hotel now if I didn't already have one and I were visiting.  Maybe try Galveston?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

They always fear better when it comes to power issues because most of their lives are buried. Most of our lines up here are the older style and they're above ground
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

We're those people running outside in that crazyness?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

You should teach your son about the release that every single garage door has built into it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Blade_Runner79:

I went to go get dinner from my friendly local hate chicken, and the bottom fell out as I was driving back home. My wife is pretty sure that a small twister passed overhead, especially considering our back fence was bowed over, and the back neighbor's side fence was flattened.

She also said there was a telltale howl from outside, and being from Oklahoma, I believe she knows what to listen for.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blade_Runner79:
We’re in the Blackhorse/Bridgeland area. Heard the wife’s phone go off for the tornado warning while me and the kid were eating dinner. She comes running out of her office asking why we’re not moving. We told her no one cares, they send those out all the time. Took a look outside to appease her and our tune suddenly changed. Definitely the wildest weather system I’ve encountered. Very similar to the Derocho that went through the Midwest a few years ago. Now we enjoy the drone of generators all night lol.

I’m close to you. Barker Cypress and Clay. Power is still out but we can drive a couple miles west or south and it’s completely normal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:

View All Quotes

And hospitals are required to have backup power.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:

View Quote

People around here were caught completely off guard by the speed at which this storm came thru.  All the weatherman were predicting strong thunderstorms and rain, but nothing like what happened.  As a result, several deaths came from trees falling on vehicles.  Others were the elderly.  One 90+ year old man died while outside, probably a heart attack.  Another went out to his car to run his oxygen machine after the power went out, and he was found outside dead.

I don’t have the video handy, but there’s footage from inside the Wells Fargo building downtown, and it looks like a hurricane outside, then wind is so strong.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Paul:
900,000 without power?

I hope they get the power restored by dark because no power in Houston on a Friday seems like a bad idea.
View Quote

The NRG stadium parking lot is almost entirely filled with utility trucks from all over right now. They must have put out the call to anyone that can respond.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Sounds like the derecho that hit us in 2020. The tornado that hit us in 2018 was more violent but didn't last as long as the derecho.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

View All Quotes

They moved them from the basement to the roof after Allison.
The engineers there missed school the day they explained that water runs downhill.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mancow:

The NRG stadium parking lot is almost entirely filled with utility trucks from all over right now. They must have put out the call to anyone that can respond.
View All Quotes
900,000 without power?

I hope they get the power restored by dark because no power in Houston on a Friday seems like a bad idea.

I worked today in college station and I saw around 40-50 orange bucket and telephone pole drill trucks heading toward Houston.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RinsableTick:

People around here were caught completely off guard by the speed at which this storm came thru.  All the weatherman were predicting strong thunderstorms and rain, but nothing like what happened.  As a result, several deaths came from trees falling on vehicles.  Others were the elderly.  One 90+ year old man died while outside, probably a heart attack.  Another went out to his car to run his oxygen machine after the power went out, and he was found outside dead.

I don’t have the video handy, but there’s footage from inside the Wells Fargo building downtown, and it looks like a hurricane outside, then wind is so strong.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RinsableTick:
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:

That may be the video in the post I quoted. A hurricane is exactly what it looked like.

Whats really sad about this (aside from the loss of life) is that I hear power may be out for weeks and there's a heatwave on the heels of this storm.

That's going to suck for anyone in the area who isn't prepped pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By BattletweeteR:

I worked today in college station and I saw around 40-50 orange bucket and telephone pole drill trucks heading toward Houston.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BattletweeteR:
900,000 without power?

I just a long line coming into the stadium from Riverside, MO.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:

The wife and I are going to a concert there next Sunday. And then maybe Johnson Space Center on Monday. Worried about the availability of hotels now.

View Quote

Minute Maid Park itself is operational, Astros are in the middle of a 10 game home stand and been on each night.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#44]

You should teach your son about the release that every single garage door has built into it.
View All Quotes

You mean the release INSIDE the garage? Sure, he knows about that one but he wasn't stuck in the garage.

Maintenance actually came down and there is a keyed [they don't give out the keys] barrel that opens an access port to the outside so they can manually crank up the door when there isn't power.

He got power back late yesterday afternoon just before he was going to fire up his little alki stove and cook dinner. His solar charger took care of his small charging needs but he got lucky with not losing any foods save for his milk in the freezer/fridge.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:

View Quote

Drove by it last night. Honestly looked fine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#46]
We were in the middle of it in Cypress.  We just got power last night about 10pm.

It got hit yesterday so the window unit went in my master and I piled all the kids in there to sleep.  Upstairs was 85-86 degrees.  No way the kids were gonna sleep up there.

I already loaned out my spare small generator.  I am gonna check on some others and see what I can do.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Granted this was all south of I-10, but every area I’ve been to looks like a normal day. Hope all y’all north of I-10 get handled soon, Centerpoint has an action plan map they put out last night.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#48]
It looked pretty good out by and past Katy to the 99 yesterday. A couple of signs down, but power was on at all of the rv places out there.

It was dicy as hell at MInute Maid Park during the storm. Crazy wind and rain. It went through pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

@savage1971

I just drove through Tomball west to east on 2920.  About what you'd expect from a thunder/wind storm.  Occasional downed trees, a few damaged roofs and signs, and some traffic lights out.  Power and tree crews out and about.

Nothing crazy at all.

Pretty much business as usual.  All the restaurants and shopping centers had power and were open and gas stations were busy.
View Quote
Appreciate the update. Finally got a hold of her friday evening. They lost power for a good bit, but that was about all.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Looks like a microburst or derecho kinda thing.  We've seen a few those where you hit 80MPH winds over a line.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top