Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2011 4:23:41 PM EDT
i was wondering if it is safe to shoot steel targets with regular 9mm FMJ ammo. saw a person at the gun club  shooting a steel target and he left before i could ask him about it so basically is it safe to shoot under 20ish yards and also with regular FMJ ammo. also how thick of steel is good to use. i was thinking of making one myself( have a buddy with lots of scrap steel)

thanks
chris
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
about 30-35 feet min for hanguns at steel. 100 yards for rifle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 4:53:23 AM EDT
[#2]
It is going to depend on the target.  Both what it is made of and how it is mounted.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
FMJ and most conventional bullets are fine to shoot steel with.  Most places around say not to shoot it less than 15 yards but I am comfortable shooting plates as close at 10 or so yards.  Design of the steel and the area which it is placed is an important factor.  Basically you get a 20 degree splatter off steel.  Designes such as the porta target hi power set up that has its plate angled down work great.  The target should be on loose gravel or something similar, not sitting on concrete. Your ammunition should be traveling faster then 700fps and aviod the cheap bimetal ammo that uses copper coated steel jackets.  Rifle ammunition requires rifle grade steel and longer ranges.  Alway be careful shooting mulitple rounds at reactive steel such as pepper poppers.  If you hit the steel as it is at a different angle it is possible to skip of bullet off it.  Take a look on you tube for slow motion bullet impacts on steel.

Link Posted: 6/9/2011 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#4]
10 yards is min safe distance - don;t use just any old steel watch for cratering.  Frankly it is just way easier to buy the prefab pieces from Wideners. IMO
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i was wondering if it is safe to shoot steel targets with regular 9mm FMJ ammo. saw a person at the gun club  shooting a steel target and he left before i could ask him about it so basically is it safe to shoot under 20ish yards and also with regular FMJ ammo. also how thick of steel is good to use. i was thinking of making one myself( have a buddy with lots of scrap steel)

thanks
chris

I shoot IPSC and this weekend we had a pistol "all steel" match,..there were 8 stages with some steel as close as 10 yards some 35...we had to shoot each stage 5 times, so it was like shooting 40 stages in reality, some were shooting .40, .45, 9MM and .38 Super...all the steel is AR500 and not one had barely a noticeable dent.... we shot almost 500 rounds ourselves and nothing but a repaint now & then needed...now..the only thing that did happen was a bullet fragmented and a pc went sideways and hit a guy sitting next to me on the temple he was not hurt, just alarmed,...occurs when the steel got crooked and was not promptly corrected by angle...and we were over 90 degrees and 30 yards to right of that particular stage...rare but it happens...anyway if your are using this type of steel you should have zero problems...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top