Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2010 4:19:08 AM EDT
I was wondering if someone had any experience with knee pads that don't slid down your leg and stay were you put them!!!  I have hatch but I think they suck, I'm going to a tactical course and want to know what brand makes a good quality pair?  Thanks Cam
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 4:39:28 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife likes the Blackhawk brand
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 5:08:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What you did there, I see it.

HATCH for the win!  Don't forget the elbow pads, more important than the knees, really.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you did there, I see it.

HATCH for the win!  Don't forget the elbow pads, more important than the knees, really.

I disagree on that point.

Ever kneel down on an upright piece of spent brass?

Link Posted: 6/27/2010 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
for 3 gun, uspsa and idpa (even if its against the rules) I use Alta brand knee pads.
Alta

the elbow pads i used once was like shooting on ball bearings.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
for 3 gun, uspsa and idpa (even if its against the rules) I use Alta brand knee pads.
Alta

+1 - I've been using them for over a year and my sucky knee is grateful every time I kneel wearing them vs nothing
http://www.altaindustries.com/tactical.shtml

or from a site sponsor, where I got mine, SKD Tactical
http://www.skdtac.com/Alta_Superflex_Knee_Pads_p/alt.602.htm

I've heard positive things about the Arcteryx ones also from two guys I took a class with, but I have not personally used them

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Climbing_Gear/Knee-Caps
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Clip-on knee pads

http://www.dextermeadows.com/

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 5:38:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Balckhawk - alta - any kneepad that has a HARD plastic surface will be just fine.

I rarely wear them but have some hard plastic Blackhawk pads.  They've been fine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the blackhawk ones, they aren't the most comfortable, but they work fine.

FYI 5.11 pants have a foam knee pad you can insert into pockets in the knees of the pants.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 4:30:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I have used the Dexters for years they are great
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 for more opinions.  Also interested in glove opinions... Mechanix the way to go?
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#12]

or from a site sponsor, where I got mine, SKD Tactical
http://www.skdtac.com/Alta_Superflex_Knee_Pads_p/alt.602.htm

+1, ordered my superflex knee pads them from skd, very quick shipping.  I've injured my knees in the past, and these worked well for a shoot I did this past weekend.  Stayed where they were supposed to, and felt comfortable the entire 5 hours I had them on.  Forgot they were there after the end of the day.   Would definitely recommend the Alta Lock system, makes removal quick and easy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with the Hatch X-Tacs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Used the Blackhawk knee pads for 8 hours while walking rapidly/light jogging, in multiple shooting positions, and kneeling on gravel and they functioned fine with minimal readjustment.  I also used the Blackhawk elbow pads which will fit fine if you are of average size or small .  However if your arm diameter is 16" + then you will have to buy extra velcro as these will be too tight.  With the extra velcro in place I found these comfortable when shooting prone.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 5:25:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
+1 for more opinions.  Also interested in glove opinions... Mechanix the way to go?

you might have gotten your answer or started another thread i didn't see, but per someone's suggestion (arfcom member), I went with batting gloves and found them to be the best for me.  I've tried Mechanix types and even those nomex flight ones and am happiest with batting gloves.  I have a set of UnderArmour ones.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I went with the Hatch X-Tacs.

Either these or Arc'Teryx Knee Caps.  

I can no longer recommend the Altas as I have had many sets separate the nylon from the hard caps, right at the grommets.  You can fix it with tape criss-crossing it in a St. John's Cross pattern.

I also got tired of having gravel and dirt build up between the nylon and the hard shell.
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Arc Teryx by far.  I have worn many different kinds, most issued.  But I used my own money and went with the Arc Teryx knee pads.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Just rocked a pair of Arc'teryx knee pads I scored for $25 from the EE.

ran then in a 3 day Carbine class and liked them quite a bit. easy on/off and not as heavy or bulky as my Alta's..

I doubt I would have got them if I had not scored a good deal on them.. the list price is a bit much for knee pads..

and I rarely run elbow pads... the comment about kneeling on brass is spot on....
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you might have gotten your answer or started another thread i didn't see, but per someone's suggestion (arfcom member), I went with batting gloves and found them to be the best for me.  I've tried Mechanix types and even those nomex flight ones and am happiest with batting gloves.  I have a set of UnderArmour ones.

These are the best of both worlds IMO.  http://www.rangerjoes.com/gloves-lightweight-chemical-resistant-p-3627.html
They're made by Franklin (the batting glove guys), they're really durable, chemical resistant, and they offer great dexterity.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Altas for the win
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top