Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2012 6:39:54 PM EDT
What do you personally end up doing when you decide to do a little weapons training? I don't mean what high speed shit you do with your tactical team, or what drills you'd like to do - I mean what do you naturally gravitate to as a training routine?

When I'm on a solo trip to the range to do a little training, I usually start with quickly confirming my zero, I warm up with a few offhand shots at 25m, I begin to practice rifle reloads, then pistol reloads. Eventually I'll start placing 1 or 2 rounds in my rifle and pistol, and 1 or 2 rounds in all of my mags. I'll fire and reload with the rifle, then transition to pistol and fire and reload that. I'll do this dozens of times until I feel extremely comfortable and warmed up.  This way I use a minimal amount of ammo while getting in a lot of reloads/transitions.

If I have time, I'll shoot in non-traditional positions and do malfunction drills. If I still have time, and it's a training bay/open area, I'll do moving and shooting, cross shoulder stuff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what platform I am training. Rifle, always start with zero, then onto the days schedule of drills. Ususally some type of malfunction drill to work thru, shoot some steel, always transitions, unusual prone/sitting shooting positions. Handgun, pretty similar with out the zero. In the end, I tend to focus hard on shit not working right....ie malfunction drills and weak hand shooting. Bascially stuff I need work on.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you have a very good idea.  I recommend spending about 50% of your live fire shots on weak hand barricade shooting.  Whatever you are worst at, spend some time doing.  Another suggestion is to start out with cold shots from concealment and from the holster on timer on the pistol.  This will be the closest to where you will be if the balloon goes up.  If you can hit a couple of shots to high center mass on demand cold in less than 1.5 seconds from the buzzer, you are in the top 10th percentile easily.

Use both the cold shots from rifle and pistol to gauge where you are at in your training.  I like that you keep the # of rounds low on the magazines.  Most don't.  When they get on target they blaze away.  This is ballistic masturbation.  It may feel good, but it doesn't do much for your training.

Remember to practice dry fire quite a bit in between your range sessions.

Stay safe!
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
FAST
El Pres
Triple Nickel
Gunfighter
Walk backs
Induced failures/ refunction drills
Transitions to secondary from dead primary
single press from draw
Bilateral variations of drills (weak side/strong side)
Dry fire reps.
Dry weapons manipulations
Slow fire at distance

Not all in the same outing, obviously, but either focus on one or a few depedning on time, ammo and company.  Most drills are done under timer or at least prompted by a timer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I try not to build a routine but rather change it up week to week. Sometimes I only do pistol, sometimes only carbine. The one constant I keep is some form of accuracy drills each time towards the begining of the session and again at the end.

I like to do certain quals and drills without a warm up to really gauge my progress and skill level.

Complacency is born from routine and we all know that complacency kills.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
All i would ad to the op is to put 1, 2, 3, or 4 rounds in mags randomly so as not to develop a habit of reloading after two.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#6]
weapon presentation
dry drills (including dry fire)
live fire: cold drills (no warm ups)

malf, FAST, and moving
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#7]
on our Police range I always start folks with the draw and presentation at 3 yards.
Then draw and present with 1rnd COM.  Then Draw, present 2 rnds COM. Then draw present and 1 rnd head.  Then same with 2 rnds head.
Then we start moving back 3 yrds at a time to the 25.  This helps them gain or regain confidence.

I will also have them place 1 mag in the pistol loaded with one or no rounds.  When they shoot the gun will lock back empty and they do an empty gun reload from their belt.  Then they replace the empty or 1  rnd mag in the gun, holster and start over.  This obviously works weapon manipulation and reloads along with draw and presentation.  With traditional guns like Sig and Beretta this also helps work DA trigger pull and SA trigger pull.  Maximum training with minimum ammo spent.

also work non-standard response with 3,4,5 up to 8 rounds. also work on moving laterally while drawing and moving after shooting.  

Lots of different drills and techniques depending on how everyone is shooting.  

On a public range where I can't draw or change distance easily I work the same presentation from a low ready, 2 rounds double then single action then reload, decock and start over. That is my favorite drill,  I shoot at 3x5 note cards or various color, shape, number targets at 10 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top