Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/9/2017 3:14:55 PM EDT
For those that have shotgun for home defense - what kind of loads you using for that purpose?
I don't care about the reach out and touch someone at 200 plus yards, but for real home defense.
Pellet Spreads at 10-15 yards.

Which types of loads for this do you all recommend?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 3:57:25 PM EDT
I have my M4 stoked with alternating 00 buck and slug loads. I figure the buckshot is good for 10-15 yards, and the slugs are good to at least 50, if necessary. But I have the slugs more for penetration than for distance. Shotgun is for in-home defense only. If I ever have a situation where I need to leave the confines of my house, I'll have a rifle slung over my shoulder, not a scattergun.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 5:14:01 PM EDT
#4 Buck,,, gets the best coverage. on TGT,, as OO you might not get all 9 on tgt,, at any distance,, 15 yds,,, or more,, Slugs and #4 Buck,, a good combination but serious over penetration,, who knows how far a slug will go?? See truth in a BOX,, they have done lots of testing,,
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:42:46 PM EDT
Federal Flight Control groups very well at those distances. Their reduced recoil 1 buck is my preferred load if I can find it. Otherwise, the 00 buck is good too.

#4 buck does not meet the minimum FBI penetration standards. 
Top Top