Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2014 9:30:44 AM EDT
Hi guys

I need some help planning out some equipment.

I have a rifle which is basically an 20 inch A4 flat top with a Sabre Defense Chrome lined barrel and an A1 length butt-stock.

I have used this rifle many times in practical rifle competitions.

I want to free float it, get a NM rear detachable handle, and see what it can do as a hi power rifle.  I was thinking a DD AR15 Lite Rail II rail in 12 inches... if it was legal per the rules.  

Obviously the weapon is not up to par accuracy wise with much of what I anticipate to encounter on the line, but as a test of myself and my equipment will it have enough legs to run with the other guns?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is some info on accessories for setting up your service rifle.  Hope fully it has a 8" or 7" twist.

IMHO this is one the best NM detachable carry handles you can get:

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17880&cat=278&page=1

A less expensive carry handle alternative:

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17720&cat=278&page=1

Service Rifle free float tube:

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17658&cat=256&page=2

WOA equipment is top of the line, and their service is great.  You can still use this equipment if you decide to upgrade your upper.

My WOA Service Rifle upper is extremely accurate with 55 & 69 gr bullets.  Haven't tried anything heavier yet, but I expect it should handle 77 gr fine.

Given the amount of time one has to invest in shooting CMP matches, IMHO a bit more investment in equipment is justifiable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

1....I have a rifle which is basically an 20 inch A4 flat top with a Sabre Defense Chrome lined barrel and an A1 length butt-stock.

2.,,,,I want to free float it, get a NM rear detachable handle, and see what it can do as a hi power rifle.  I was thinking a DD AR15 Lite Rail II rail in 12 inches... if it was legal per the rules.  

3.....Obviously the weapon is not up to par accuracy wise with much of what I anticipate to encounter on the line, but as a test of myself and my equipment will it have enough legs to run with the other guns?

View Quote

I labeled your post into 3 seperate pieces.

1. Great start, nothing wrong with that at all. DO NOT be discouraged by people that are hard core HP shooters saying you need more gun. you don't.

2. The lite rail is within the rules for CMP or NRA. Don't let people tell you its not. It is. I however would recomend an old school M4 12 in rail, or an SWS rail. I have seen the lite rails break under sling tension. It can be more force than you think. The rail to be legal has to meet some criteria, but that is in the rule book. check www.odcmp.com You just need a regular A1 or A2 FH, and a regular FSB. ( make sure its an "F" marked one or you will get frustrated when you zero. Use the FS to zero your elevation, and if you do not have the adjustable FSB, no biggie. Zero at 50 yds if you cant get to a 200 yd range. try to be 10 1/4 min clicks or 5 1/2 min clicks off the bottom on your rear. The RRA NM carry handle in 1/4x1/4 is great and works out to 600. Keep your regular FS post. you don't need a narrower one. You want a big one to focus on. Also, you need a regular A1 or A2 grip and regular trigger guard.

3. Its enough gun. The ten ring is generally 2 MOA. I would bet your barrel/rifle to be .75-1moa with good ammo ( 77's mag length, shoot them all the way and you will be fine.) The best AR out there will not be that much more accurate. From a bench the best out there are 1/2 MOA for ten shots. Nobody is holding that so don't worry.
Its going to be the shooter that is the limiting factor. Not being harsh or personal, but it is. I don't know you and I mean no harm, just be prepared to see what you see. If you have sensitivities to poor performance, do not compete. Alot of egos get crushed when rounds go from "bangin steel" to on paper for score. If you can deal, then you will be fine. I see alot of people get all hyped up and get dissapointed with themselves and never show up again, and some show up and see where they can improve and try again, and again and again. They all get better, the quitters never do. Don't quit! You might be the next SR champion, thats up to you, not your rifle. Listen to everyone, and try everything for yourself. there are 100 ways to shoot every position, only 1-2 will work for you. All that being said, you will absolutely have a good time if you want to, and you will learn a ton of things that will carry over into all other shooting you do in some way or another. You will also have a new appreciation for what a decent AR15 and rifleman are capable of.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
From my recent experience with a flat top service rifle upper, be aware that there are different heights of carry handles.
The one with the shorter sight base height is the ideal one, along with an "F" marked FSB.
I discovered that with a carbine carry handle (taller height) and an F marked FSB, the front sight sticks a tad bit higher that the protective ears when zeroed at 100 yards and my rear sight is at its lowest setting. The post is still retained by the detent and the flange is not high enough for light to pass through.
I'm sure the WOA carry handles are the correct height.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Give it a go. After you shoot a few matches you might want to try something else but it's fine for starters. (Old thread but it might be useful for someone else).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top