Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2018 8:58:27 PM EDT
I started with bolt action, 7 round mag fed, peep sight Mossberg (60 years ago.)  I still have it.

Granddaughter wants to learn to shoot.  What .22s are out there now?  I'd like something well built that she can give to her daughters someday.

Also, peep vs open.  I'm a peep guy but willing to listen.  She will start with irons and won't get a scope until she can group constantly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger American Rimfire Compact or CZ Scout would be my top picks. There should be a rear peep available to fit the scope mount dovetail if you want a peep. I think Savage offers a Target sight model that might be an option too.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a single shot, lever action 22 for my son. he's 3 so we're a ways off. I also have an AR lower for him.

but if he likes to shoot and takes an interest in it, I will get a henry lever gun in 22, with regular iron sights. they are easy to shoot, pretty safe, and I still enjoy an iron sighted lever gun as a grown up, so I doubt he can outgrow it.

You may also look into the Cricket mini tactical bolt actions. I hear good things about them, and under $200 seems tough to beat.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Just bought my son an M&P 15 22. He loves it.

Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
MARLIN MODEL 60.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I am going to snag a T/C R22.  They have a $50 rebate and I see them as low as $280 before the rebate.  Already threaded for a can, peep sight rear with fiber optic front sight, and pic rail on top.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I learned with a lever action 22 when I was about 7.

However a marlin 60 would be a good choice or a mossberg plinkster
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
S&W M&P-15/22

Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I started with bolt action, 7 round mag fed, peep sight Mossberg (60 years ago.)  I still have it.

Granddaughter wants to learn to shoot.  What .22s are out there now?  I'd like something well built that she can give to her daughters someday.

Also, peep vs open.  I'm a peep guy but willing to listen.  She will start with irons and won't get a scope until she can group constantly.
View Quote
my 10 year old daughter shoots a pink Savage Rascal bolt action, I use .22 shorts in it, no recoil at all and the gun is driller for a scope mount in you want one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top