Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2007 6:50:04 PM EDT
HI All,  I am trying to find away to use AR500 10 inch plates with shotgun slugs.

Currently, I am using 10 inch circles with a base welded on the bottom, so that the plates can be set on top of a 4x4, or wooded round rod.  This way, when hit, they simply fall to the ground.  The plates are great, no damage what so ever, HOWEVER, the weld keeps breaking,   AARRGGHH  

Does anyone know of a good manufacture, or a process so the weld doesn't keep breaking?

OR, does anyone know how to balance the round plate vertically, without the need of a welded base?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how to do this.

Be careful shooting slugs at steal.  The slugs invert and shoot a projectile back towards the shooter.  It is about the size of a 22 LR bullet, and if too close can do the same damage.  Be at least 20 yards away.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I use targets from metal swinging targets They work real well

like these

Mike
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Be very careful shooting slugs at steel, stay back a safe distance.

AR500 is difficult to weld well, in my experience.  I would suggest burning a couple of holes in the bottom of your circle and bolting a piece of angle in place to use as a base.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to run your root pass with 6010 this is strong but brittle. Then use low hydrogen 7018 for your cover passes 7018 is more flexible. See the diagram below.

Any other questions IM me.

Also heed the warnings about turning your adventure in to a two way affair slugs hurt when they come back.

Sean
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Also how about using a dado blade and cutting slots is say a 4x4 post. that might work for ya.

Sean
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top