Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2016 11:55:53 AM EDT
I'm going to search, but since pricing and coverage is volatile,

does anyone have input as to insurance for a person who is going to conduct firearms training, whether as an employee of a company, or on their own as a LLC?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Over the last few years, I have been using and I am currently still using the NRA's endorsed program (Lockton Affinity), but I'm also looking at guninsurance.com as I've heard they're a little more flexible.  You have to list the ranges you use and I think one of them charges extra if you go beyond 2.  I also travel so I'm always looking for options.  I believe both require you to use a range that has it's own insurance, so that leaves out many private ranges.  The other thing is if I have a guy working for me, but I pay him as a 1099 and not an employee, he's not covered.   I have to do more research, but I'm hoping that there's someone out there that can shed additional light.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
See,

I kind of want to be a gypsy instructor, and not tied to one range in a geographical area.

This is already proving to be a problem with the State (they want to inspect and photograph and measure your range and training room), so it kinda knocks out the niche I wanted to carve into the carry permit market.

I read the stuff on the NRA site, but it made it sound a little too... glossy. 'Don't worry, we got you'.

Riiight.

Plus, I just haven't really found any competition, and that's kind of disturbing.

I may ask in GD, but figured more would know in here.

I'll post if I ever learn anything!
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

See,

I kind of want to be a gypsy instructor, and not tied to one range in a geographical area.

This is already proving to be a problem with the State (they want to inspect and photograph and measure your range and training room), so it kinda knocks out the niche I wanted to carve into the carry permit market.

I read the stuff on the NRA site, but it made it sound a little too... glossy. 'Don't worry, we got you'.

Riiight.

Plus, I just haven't really found any competition, and that's kind of disturbing.

I may ask in GD, but figured more would know in here.

I'll post if I ever learn anything!

View Quote

Yeah, Tennessee will only allow the CCW class to be taught at ranges they've inspected.  However, as long as a range is on their list, any approved TN CCW instructor can teach classes there, from my reading of the regulations.  What I need to find out is if Tennessee will license an instructor who lives in another state, I already have one range in Tennessee on my insurance.  I have the NRA instructor insurance, first range covered was free, $25 for each additional range added, I just consider it part of my overhead and factor it into my pricing.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Dunno about that.

I've been calling them; they answer, and have been pretty helpful to me
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going with guninsurance.com since they also cover Simunition FoF training.  Not sure if others exclude that or not.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am going with guninsurance.com since they also cover Simunition FoF training.  Not sure if others exclude that or not.
View Quote

I'm 99% certain that I checked with them back when I was making this decision and they drove me nuts with the requirement that you MUST issue a certificate every time you teach to be covered. I issue certs for formal classes, but when someone pays me for an hour or two of my time (1 on 1 instruction), I only give them an invoice, but no cert. I went with NRA Insurance and found out that guninsurance.com was also using the same Lockton policy.

NRA does NOT require that you issue certs, nor does it require that the place you use has their own insurance (at least nobody has ever asked me about that). Everything is handled online and you almost immediately get your insurance certificate. You can teach anything not just NRA courses. IIRC it does not cover reloading classes. Never checked about Simunitions or any other FOF training as I don't teach those courses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top