Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2007 2:19:15 PM EDT
Today was the first day of the Georgia Rifleman's Cup match, run by the Chattahoochee Rifle Club at Easley Range on Ft. Benning.  If anyone hasn't shot a match done by CRC, you need to do so.  Everything went smooth as silk (except my shooting ) and always does.  James, Gus, Hopp and the others always put on a great match.

This is a 1300 point aggregate match, with a full course 800 aggregate with no sighters and no shooter alibis on Saturday, and a 500 aggregate Director's Match/CMP Leg match on Sunday with no shooter alibis for folks shooting the Director's Match (to comply with CMP rules, Leg match shooters will get alibis if needed).

I brought my camera but I was a little occupied so I wasn't able to get any pictures.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Being on Benning, the Who's Who list of AMU shooters was there too, and I've never seen those guys shoot.

They are that freaking good.  Scary good.  Grant Singley shot a 10X clean 200 rapid.  There were quite a few other clean rapids, and quite a few high 190 slow fire scores.  Those guys are awesome.  

A few of my own observations:
-I desperately need to work on my offhand if I want an inkling of a chance at Leg points, especially in this neck of the woods.  I guess I'm gonna have to break down and get that .22 LR upper this fall.

-Going to a no-sighter match without solid zeros = bad idea.

-The new scoring system works.  I had never scored targets with the new system, but it's faster and easier to use IMO, especially given the height of the targets at Easley (you'd need a step ladder to mark the top of the target with the old system).

-My Ray-Vin quick detach mount for my spotting scope loosened up.  Never had a problem with it before.  By the end of the day, my scope was flopping around like a fish out of water.  Might be something y'all want to check if you use the same setup.

And the important safety tip part - It's that time of the year again, y'all.  The thermometer in my truck read 101 degrees when I left, but in reality it was probably mid 90s or so.  I was sipping on water and Powerade all day, but apparently it wasn't enough.  After a painfully long string at 600, I came off the rifle to get out of position and started seeing white spots.  I had to brace myself against my cart for a few minutes before I could gather my gear up and get off the line, and hours later I still ain't all there yet.  I think it's Camelback's slogan - Hydrate or Die.  Drink plenty of fluids out there.

ETA - The first day's scores haven't been posted yet, but the top three are:

Dement - 788-16
Pace - 787-26
Lawton - 785-29
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't need to take wizz every hour or so, you should be drinkin' more water. One of the first things that dehydration impairs is your vision....bad juju for rifle shooting.

AS far as your problem with scope head, Ray Brandes was on the line Saturday....you should have mentioned it to him. He has the best customer service in the business. If there is something wrong with it, he'll make it right.

Regards,
    Bo
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in much better shape Sunday.  Only time I wasn't drinking was when I was shooting.

My scope mount really loosened up at 600 on Saturday, and at the time I think Ray was down in the pits.  You're right though, he's a great dude.  I fixed it when I got home with a quarter turn of an allen wrench, no big deal.

Nice shooting this past weekend, BTW.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:31:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top