Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2008 6:12:53 AM EDT
My brother in law sent me this add from Front Sight.  Any opinions on this?  Is Front Sight a good school?    It offers a free Springfield XD45, training manuals and a 30 state CCW for $2,000.00

https://www.frontsight.com/newsletter/html/04-free-gun.asp

2,000 seams kind of expensive for this package.  The gun is less than 600 bucks and the Florida permit is not too expensive.  I believe you can get an NRA basic pistol course which runs about 150.00or less.  Actually  for Florida non resident  you take your state hunter safety course you can get a Florida Non Resident CCW permit.  I guess the bulk of the dollars is for the training but I don't know anything about Front Sight.

I would like to see the Dry Fire manuals though. I love to dry fire and if someone has a better practice method I'd like to see it
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My brother in law sent me this add from Front Sight.  Any opinions on this?  Is Front Sight a good school?    It offers a free Springfield XD45, training manuals and a 30 state CCW for $2,000.00

2,000 seams kind of expensive for this package.  The gun is less than 600 bucks and the Florida permit is not too expensive.  I believe you can get an NRA basic pistol course which runs about 150.00or less.  Actually  for Florida non resident  you take your state hunter safety course you can get a Florida Non Resident CCW permit.  I guess the bulk of the dollars is for the training but I don't know anything about Front Sight.

I would like to see the Dry Fire manuals though. I love to dry fire and if someone has a better practice method I'd like to see it

There are alot better school's/traveling instructors available. If you still live in NJ, factor in another $2k for traveling/lodging/food/time off work

Thats an expensive $4k weekend for a average to below average institution when factoring what other options are available.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 4:39:56 AM EDT
[#2]
if you just want to attend the handgun class get a certificate from ebay for $100.00
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

FS seems to be into the hard sell mode.  I never liked it and don't respond well to pressure to buy, spend, etc.

If you do the math, it's not a good deal.  Buy the gun for $600, take a course for $100 and get the FL permit yourself for less than $200.  Even rounding upto 1K, there is plenty of $ left for ammo, range time,even one on one instruction if you want.  That doesn't take into account the cost of the time you are traveling/off work.

Anvil Arms give a basic course free with the purchase of a lower rifle

I'm sure you could negotiate a better deal with FS, but I don't want to spend my time there with them trying to sell me something.

The whole tone of their pitch turns me off.

EDIT - Anvil Arms training correction.
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
a FREE gun for $2,000! SWEET!

fuck that! join the army, they pay YOU!
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been getting their emails as well.  Sounds almost too good to be true.  DR. IP seems to be just a bit brag happy about this " 4 combat master" blah, blah, blah.  Almost sound like a religious cult offering, similar to the PTL Club and Jim and TAmmy Baker.  Anybody from ARFCOM actually attended or can comment firsthand?
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've been getting their emails as well.  Sounds almost too good to be true.  DR. IP seems to be just a bit brag happy about this " 4 combat master" blah, blah, blah.  Almost sound like a religious cult offering, similar to the PTL Club and Jim and TAmmy Baker.  Anybody from ARFCOM actually attended or can comment firsthand?

Me and two buddies attended the 4 day practical rifle course. Paid $85 each for first timer certificates. Worth ever penny. Great fundamental training, no brainwashing, and a week with my buddies. As far as the $2000 deal no way!
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I took the same 4-day defensive handgun course in that offer. Great class although the beginning of it is focused on basics as to get everyone, from novice to seasoned veteran,  up to par. The 3rd and 4th day are what make this course worth the money.  Besides practicing presentation (the draw), reloads, and malfunction clearing, we learned low-light and night shooting and corner/doorway tactics applied to one of their killing houses. Last day we had a steel plate competition which everyone had fun doing. I took this course last November when it wasn't hot. Triple digits are common especially this time of year.  Its fun as long as you're not baking under the Nevada Sun.  

This course turned me into a better shooter.  I joined my first handgun competition in April and got 1st place in my division - something I couldn't have done without proper training.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2008 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

not sure about the $2000 price tag, but if you look at their site, this is what you'll see as the packaged deal:

Yes Dr. Piazza! Sign me up for your Greatest Course Offer... Ever! I understand for a single payment of $1,199. I will receive the following Courses, Knife, Gun, Gear and Bonuses valued at $4,000:

Four Day Defensive Handgun Course ($2,000 Value), the 30 State CCW course ($500 Value), All 7 Dry Practice Manuals ($280 Value), Limited Edition Stainless Steel Folding Knife with Front Sight Logo Etched in it ($300 Value), Front Sight Armorer's Bench Mat ($40 Value), Front Sight "Any Gun Will Do-- If You Will Do!" Shirt ($30 Value), Front Sight logo hat ($20 Value), Front Sight Instructor Belt, Holster, Mag Pouch, Flashlight Pouch and Flashlight ($230 Value) Plus Your Choice of brand new in-the-box, Springfield XD Handgun in 9mm, .40SW or .45ACP ($600 Value)
link  

value of the 30 state ccw is too high, obviously, not sure about the rest.

it looks like the deal is only for 5000 people and he states they've had over 2000 take it so far.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]
IF you want an XD,  the package price seems more than reasonable to me.  The gun is worth $500-$600,  the class is worth $800 or more IMO,  the CCW class is worth $150-$200,  and belt, pouches, etc. are worth $150 or so,  and the dry fire manuals are actually pretty decent - I would have no problem paying for them, particularly if I had not had much formal training before.

The place does have a hard sell mentality,  but you won't see it on the range or in the classroom - only at the introductory lecture and at "graduation" - and in the mail, of course.

Front Sight's 4-day handgun class is superior to other introductory tactical handgun classes I have attended.  They pack more in,  where a lot of places will answer questions with "that's covered in the advanced class."  Very few basic classes out there incorporate a night shoot,  room-clearing tactics, etc.

I disagree with the Weaver stance,  but the rest of their training is sound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top