Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2011 9:06:54 AM EDT
I've found a 69 SMK load with Re-15, a 77 Nosler loaded with IMR-4895, and an 80 SMK loaded with Re-15 that work very well in my RRA NM.  For some reason, the 77's (both Nosler and SMK) don't like Re-15 in my gun (grouping about 2-1/2" at 100 yards).

Can I shoot the IMR load followed by the Re-15 load?  I didn't know if there was anything that would affect accuracy if you switch powders like that, I thought I had read a post where someone mentioned that you really shouldn't do it.  And if I shouldn't switch powders in the same match, are the 69's ok for the 300 yardline?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 9:39:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NotMrWizard:
I've found a 69 SMK load with Re-15, a 77 Nosler loaded with IMR-4895, and an 80 SMK loaded with Re-15 that work very well in my RRA NM.  For some reason, the 77's (both Nosler and SMK) don't like Re-15 in my gun (grouping about 2-1/2" at 100 yards).

Can I shoot the IMR load followed by the Re-15 load?  I didn't know if there was anything that would affect accuracy if you switch powders like that, I thought I had read a post where someone mentioned that you really shouldn't do it.  And if I shouldn't switch powders in the same match, are the 69's ok for the 300 yardline?

Thanks for the help!

Some powders are more sensitive then others when switching loads. You will have to find out for yourself. I have heard that Varget doesn't like to following TAC.

You first couple shots after you switch will tell.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:57:01 AM EDT
Agree. Some authors have written that changing powders between strings is negative or that it affects the following string in some way.

Zediker mentions this more than once.

Only way to know is to test. Develop the load for the powders, then try to run a match-like switch and see if the second load was affected by the change.
Cleaning between strings has effects too, so the only way to know if changing powders between yardlines is to test them like you plan to shoot them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 5:18:32 PM EDT
For some reason, the 77's (both Nosler and SMK) don't like Re-15 in my gun

I think you're the only Highpower shooter in the country with this problem. Are you sure you are getting good results from your tests?

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:06:04 AM EDT
You would have to be capable of consistently shooting high master scores to see any effect from switching powders between yard lines.

Even then I would be surprised if the "effect" were more than just-barely-measurable.

How would you measure that anyway?

Does somebody really think that one powder "contaminates" the barrel somehow such that the next powder is somehow crippled by the existence of the residue of the previous powder?

There was a range legend circulating some years ago to the effect that your accuracy would go to hell if you switched between plain bullets and moly-koted bullets from one yard-line to another. I do it all the time, and I can't tell shit. I only shoot master scores, so I'm probably not qualified to make any quality judgment of such things.

Oh, and I switch powders too from short range to 600.

Maybe that's it.
You see I would be screwed by switching from standard to moly bullets, except that by switching powders, I cancel the bullet jinx.
Or maybe the powder jinx is cancelled by switching bullet coatings.

Does it matter if I don't clean my rifle except every other week?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:43:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Collector497:
For some reason, the 77's (both Nosler and SMK) don't like Re-15 in my gun

I think you're the only Highpower shooter in the country with this problem. Are you sure you are getting good results from your tests?

I think you're right.  69's and 80's work great with Re-15, I can keep both right around 0,.80-0.90" at 100 yards.  The 77's open up to about 1-3/4", and it's not just one flyer giving me that number, it's the whole group.  This is shooting rested on the bench, with a scope.  With the IMR powder, they groups are back down below an inch.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:53:11 AM EDT
W_E_G,

Thanks for the info.  Being fairly new to the sport, I wasn't sure, which is why I asked.  I have heard, though, that heavy sarcasm can increase group size, so that might also be what's affecting yours.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:35:56 AM EDT
Oh, this is the internet.
Somebody will be along presently to inform you that I gave you really bad advice.

Really, I didn't clean my rifle for a couple of weeks when I was shooting a lot and otherwise very busy.
It was 1996 or 1997.
About 400 rounds without cleaning.

Last 20 rounds at 600 yard line were my best 600 ever.
Shot a 198(can't remember x-count) at 600 yards.

AR15 service rifle with (dirty) Krieger barrel.
Mild overcast conditions.
23.5 grains Vihta Vuouri N135 with an 80-grain SMK that I coated with moly and carnauba wax in my tumbler.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:18:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Oh, this is the internet.
Somebody will be along presently to inform you that I gave you really bad advice.

Really, I didn't clean my rifle for a couple of weeks when I was shooting a lot and otherwise very busy.
It was 1996 or 1997.
About 400 rounds without cleaning.

Last 20 rounds at 600 yard line were my best 600 ever.
Shot a 198(can't remember x-count) at 600 yards.

AR15 service rifle with (dirty) Krieger barrel.
Mild overcast conditions.
23.5 grains Vihta Vuouri N135 with an 80-grain SMK that I coated with moly and carnauba wax in my tumbler.

Interesting.  Not to change topic, but I had always noticed that with a clean bore, my first 1-2 shots are always off-target.  Last year was my first time at 600 yards and the first year I shot the P100, NTI and HD matches.    We shot the squadded practice, and I didn't clean my gun until after the matches, just because I figured if we didn't get sighting shots, then my first couple would be off again for each match.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:48:41 PM EDT
I'm shooting the board matches this year.

Unless it rains on my rifle, I won't be cleaning it after 30 shots and 50 shots.

If I make the team, I might clean it before the team match - or at least I'll say I did if I'm questioned.
Top Top