Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/26/2010 6:30:53 AM EDT
I'm looking for some Krav Maga or possibly Systema training. Knoxville is pretty close, and I've Googled up a few shops that teach Krav Maga.

Anyone have good places to check out, or terrible places to avoid? Or even other recommendations. I know that BJJ is pretty popular, but the quick application of Krav Maga appeals to me. The relaxed posture and "Hey, everyone can do this" look of Systema has me mildly interested in it, as well. I'm finding way less offerings for Systema training though.

I have ZERO training. I'm overweight, but dropping it quickly by jogging/running. I would like to make a self defense class part of my cross-training.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:34:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wintermute:
I'm looking for some Krav Maga or possibly Systema training. Knoxville is pretty close, and I've Googled up a few shops that teach Krav Maga.

Anyone have good places to check out, or terrible places to avoid? Or even other recommendations. I know that BJJ is pretty popular, but the quick application of Krav Maga appeals to me. The relaxed posture and "Hey, everyone can do this" look of Systema has me mildly interested in it, as well. I'm finding way less offerings for Systema training though.

I have ZERO training. I'm overweight, but dropping it quickly by jogging/running. I would like to make a self defense class part of my cross-training.

SouthNarc/Shivworks is based out of Memphis, I believe.

Jay
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:28:42 PM EDT
If you're looking for a great all around school, one of the best in the country is Mark Hatmaker. www.extremeselfprotection.com He's
authored several books and videos, and is an Amazing MMA/BJJ teacher. He's in Knoxville, but I can't remember the address at the moment.

He teaches several different systems, many reality based, and is well versed in what works and what doesn't. He also understands the
difference between street and ring fighting.

I don't know him personally, but we sit on the board of directors of a few organizations together, and the man is well deserving of his
reputation.
Top Top