Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2017 10:50:57 PM EDT
I just joined a gun club that has an area where I can practice drawing from holster, mag changes  shooting on the move ect. The only limitation is it has to be a pistol caliber no high power rifles but 22LR is ok. So I have my M&P15-22 that I have converted to have all the same controls as my standard AR and a similar red dot.

Is there any disadvantage to using a 22 to practice?

IVe been able to practice my reloads and some movement but what else should/could I work on using a 22 in place of a 556?

I just started looking at ideas to build a small barricade to practice with also. Might take one of my current target stands and make it taller and cut some holes in it to shoot through

Here is what the range/bay looks like.  Its 25 yards deep 15 yards wide
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I have nothing against 22lr but here's why I don't like it for training:

-Get you used to a different recoil impulse
-Forgives loose grip
-Encourages bad ear-protection habits
-Mag weights different for muscle memory

Where I'd be cool with 22lr:
-Teaching my 8yr old marksmanship basics
-Youth rifle for my 12yr old
-Introducing new shooter in casual setting
-Rabbit hunting
-Survival Rifle aka "food getter"
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a 15/22 regularly for training.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#4]
yes. i credit mine for getting me really solid with a rifle. I ran a conversion in my3 gun rifle(s) so I had:
Same trigger
same optics
same weight
same magwell
same recoil (comped 223 does not recoil)

only thing different was the noise and the price. I paid my conversion kit off in ammo savings the first day I owned it, and that was a decade ago.

you can train most of the same stuff that makes you good. Trigger control, transitions, reloads, multiple targets, etc. But you can't train distance or longer range. 22 and 223 drop much differently after like 25 yards. Same with windage
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have:

Things to practice
Multiple targets
Small Targets (hostage rescue and the like)
All of the shooting positions
Anything you are having an issue with

Use reduced size targets

It gets you to the range, and is more fun than dry practice.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm on the fence of doing this myself. With the reliability of 22 ammo, you'll probably have more dud rounds allowing for more malfunction drills. Reloads, clearing chamber, FTE of FTF.

The recoil might be different but the function is the same.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a CMMG conversion bolt.  Ill split my training sessions half 22lr and half 5.56.  Comes in handy for some ranges that don't allow 5.56 ammo.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have used both and MP15 and a CMMG bolt in a rifle for practice. I would not consider taking one to a training class but use them all the time in the local clubs' pistol pits where they are allowed and a 5.56 is not. It allows me to practice snaps etc....regularly. I shoot Jeff Gonzalez's Naval Qual at 25 yards on reduced targets at least once a week. It's a good way to stay sharp and doesn't cost a whole lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top