Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 9/3/2009 11:18:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2009 7:23:13 PM EST by Callahan]
ETA: I thought I was in the review thread if a mod could please move this thanks
This AAR was originally posted in Illinois HTF so if somethings don't make sense that's because it is something only fellow Illinois Arfcomers know.

Just last weekend I returned from and outstanding and extremly affordable class at Centerline range of Battle Creek Range just 3 hours from Chicago. The class was hosted by MDFI Website and taught by Steve Fisher.

I first heard about MDFI from the August 2009 issue of Swat Magazine where they did an article on MDFI's Carbine courses. Since coming back from Magpul Dynamics in July the usual classes offered by local instructors just didn't appeal to me anymore and I need something more challenging so I went out on a limb and signed up for a 1 day handgun course. Steve is well known in the industry and his reputation was enough for me to at least sign up for a class. On a side note for those of you who went to MD Carbine 1. both MD and MDFI recognize each others training and are good for the next class up from each school. Steve and the whole Magpul Dynamics staff are good friends.

Instructor

Steve Fisher knows his stuff. One of his best trait's as an instructor is the ability to read the class and the shooters something a lot of instructors lack. One thing that I learned is when you go to big name school's like Frontsight, Gunsite, and LFI everything is done on a schedule. If it is time to do time drills then they do time drills regardless of what the class level is at; this is where safety starts lacking and accidents happen. When students start trying to make time or complete complex drill before they are ready basics are lost and the overall learning experience is diminished. Steve does his best to work with individuals and not just the class getting everyone up to speed. If you attend a lot of classes like I do then you know that there is no super Navy SEAL ninja techniques to shoot well. Most instructors teach pretty much the same things. Everyone has there own slant to the industry standards and Steve is no exception Steve's drills and teaching ethic make it interesting and at least for me kept my attention even during the most basic of drills. Steve really makes his students think during drills and has them work through and solve problems on there own this to me is a tale tale sign of a good instructor and class. there is no hand holding no commands to tac-reload this is left all up to the shooter. simply put big boy rules. Overall he is a Class A instructor on par with Chris Costa for those of you who took Magpul Dynamics. Steve did and Outstanding job!

Students

We had 23 Shooters and 4 Instructors
The experience levels ranged from training junkies to fresh meat.
We had 4 women, 2 husband wife teams and of course the rare mother son team

My experience and Gear

I have been shooting seriously for 5 years know and have been to Multiple classes at Frontsight, I graduated LFI 1 and 2, and more recently Magpul Dynamics carbine 1 as well as alot of other local trainers and some IDPA, IPSC, and 3 gun . I was using my well broken in Springfield TRP which has a bit more then 26,000 rounds through it in a Bladetech holster (waiting on a Raven). I had one malfunction that required tools to fix which was a first in 26k rounds other then that she ran flawless as usual. There was a lot of 1911 hate from the instructors always bragging about there plastic toys it would be a real shame if one of there grenades ended up going off. I guess it is common from people who can't handle the awesomeness that is the 1911. Anyway if you rock a 1911 bring your GD flame suite along with you.

The Course
$125
500 rounds of ammo

The course started off slow with the usual accuracy drills which is expected from a basic handgun course. The basics where taught on an individual bases which is something you don't see many instructors do. Steve took the time to evaluate every shooter and then work with them and get everyone up to speed. This lasted up till lunch time which was served in the Club house which is a nice treat for my group who is use to the usual bag lunches. After lunch things started speeding up, with more complex drills like failure to stop drills on the move as well as various other moving and pivoting drills. he also talked about mindset and breaking the habit of firing 2 shots to stop a threat as well as throwing in scenario's that made us think. As stated above Steve makes you think and solve your own problems, big boy rules. Overall it was a great class and I am going back the 19 and 20th of September for more.

Pictures
Me blasting some paper

Faye and I. Note where her hand is, she was very upset about that.

Steve

Julie blasting some paper

Faye on a pivot drill

My meat paws

Steve giving Faye some one on one instruction

Steve demoing a drill

Steve talking to the class

Steve giving Julie some Motivation

Me

Faye

My life ending malfunction

Steve demoing

Class Picture

More pictures and Info can be found here
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:10:55 PM EST
I've taken four courses with MDFI and will be taking more in the future.

Steve and his crew are rock-solid guys and you WILL shoot better when you are done with their classes.
Top Top