Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2008 2:51:22 PM EDT
InSights Training Center Presents:

RECONDO School

This course will encompass how to patrol, recon, ambush, and raid, and will involve individual and small unit tactics, leadership, planning, operations orders, warning orders, and rehearsals.

One of the ultimate expressions of this was done during the Vietnam War and was know as MACV-RECONDO school . This school was set up by Project Delta (yes, the guys who later founded Delta Force) and then turned over to 5th SFG. This was the basis for LRRP/Ranger type operations in Vietnam. This course will be modeled after that school but with a modern backdrop and modern planning procedures.

There will be instructors from the actual Vietnam Recondo school along with modern experienced Rangers and Special Forces personnel. Outside of the military nothing like this has ever been offered before. Others have done fantasy camps, no one has run the real deal. Most active duty infantrymen never get a chance for this level of training!

This course will be a 24/7 immersion conducted out of a "fire-base" with large military tents and cots, in a training area of more than 800 acres. Food will be provided. The missions will go from very small unit recons, to two-element ambushes, to multi-element raids, with QRF or "hatchet force" operations as well. Basically, 5-6 man to full-class operations. All students will be involved in leadership and planning. This class is not just about tactics-the leadership and planning portions are as important as tactics, as is working as a team. Stress will be induced through the rapid pace: this is a learning tool for leadership and teamwork that cannot be overemphasized.

The course will have plenty of live role players to include "civilians" and each patrol will have an observer/controller/lane-grader with them at all times. Every student will have a chance to work in every role on a team and all of it will be "graded".

This is not a "yell at you and do pushups" course, this is a professionally run course for people that want to learn real skills. Come push yourself and find your limits and what you are still capable of at the ends of your limits. This class will be physical but anyone of reasonable fitness is encouraged to attend. Each mission will include a mile or two total of movement in the woods. The intent is not to "smoke" you with physical skills but to give you enough that you can learn the lessons. Also anyone that needs to take a mission off or suffers some minor injury that does not allow them to continue a patrol will be working in the company HQ helping do the intel fusion, company-level planning, and giving OPORDs to the teams, a learning experience in and of itself. All-in-all over 120 hours of training!

Topics Include:
The concept and history of LRRPs
Individual movement techniques
Small unit tactics/battle drills
Duties of the individual LRRP team members
How to call for artillery fire
How to call for air support
Combat aid and casevac
Area reconnaissance
Point reconnaissance
Ambush
Prisoner snatch
Heavy team raid
Company raid
Combat search and destroy
Combat search and rescue
Quick Reaction Force operations
And much more than can be listed here!

Aug 23-31
Continuous from 12p Saturday until 12p Sunday of the following week so people can fly without taking extra days off. Eight full days of training!

$2,200.00 USD

EQUIPMENT
Basic field gear. Detailed list issued at registration.

http://www.insightstraining.com/us/view_course.asp?courseID=143&categoryID=4
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Some info on a couple of the instructors. There are a few Vietnam guys coming also, I will post their bios later. Recondo school instructors, and LRRP team members, SF survival instructors, combat trackers, etc. Hopefully a few special guests as well.

Greg Hamilton has served as an US Army Ranger and currently serves as a Special Forces soldier. Among other qualifications Greg is a Master Parachutist, Freefall Jumpmaster, Scout Swimmer Instructor, Special Forces Mountain Leader, and a Terminal Attack Controller. Greg has served with the Army’s most elite Reconnaissance unit to exist post-Vietnam, the 75th Ranger Regiments, Regimental Reconnaissance Detachment. Greg has served operationally in Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Iraq.

J.W. is a former Army Ranger, having served over 4 years with 2nd Ranger Battalion during GWOT. He has served over 17 months in Iraq and Afghanistan conducting combat operations, starting as a fireteam member (M203 gunner and M249 gunner), and serving three tours as a team leader (both as a M240 and Carl Gustav AT team leader). JW earned the SGM Robert Spencer Leadership Award from Ranger School, is a Combat Lifesaver and a Combat Tracker. JW is an experienced instructor and leader and is currently in his last year of ROTC and will be returning to the military.

B.C. started his military career as a Force Recon Marine. As a Force Reconnaissance Team member he attended U.S.M.C. Amphibious Reconnaissance School, U.S. Army Parachutists School, U.S. Navy Dive School, U.S. Army Ranger School, and earned his Marine Corps Gold Wings. BC recently served a tour in Afghanistan as an 18B, Special Forces Weapons Sergeant, conducting and leading reconnaissance and combat patrols on the Afghan/Pakistan border in support of GWOT. The USMC Force Reconnaissance Company’s contain one of the only unbroken chains of recon knowledge and people from Vietnam to the present day.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Any way you guys would be able to coordinate a MTT to Fort Polk LA. I'm a light infantry scout squad leader and I think your Recondo course would be vital to this platoon. Any info would be great and I'm sure we could set up some training sites with ease.

my POC is [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Where is the class? Maybe I missed that info...sorry Im tired
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive been a fan of MACV-SOG forever. Anyone new to this info should read John L. Plaster's book "Secret Commandos". The stuff these guys did and were the first ones to do will floor you. They had the highest success rate of any unit in the history of the U.S. military, and are the most decorated, including the most medal of honor recipients, that still stands today Im sure. They also had a 100% fatality rate in 1968. Meaning every guy in it in '68, died.

The MACV recondo training in vietnam ended with the students going on an actual combat mission, unheard of in US military training. Given that, a few guys died in training, whole units went MIA. Bad-assess to the bone. When you hear stories of guys taking out NVA colonels with a compound bow, it sounds too crazy to be true. Also, the chain of command was different than other US units, as you had to earn the respect of the men, regardless of rank. Sorry I could rant about this all day. This course sounds awesome. To learn what these guys knew, at this course, would be amazing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2009 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link went dead - wonder why?

I'd love to go to something like that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the difference from Marine Force Recon?
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Probably because it was from a year ago.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is the difference from Marine Force Recon?

Difference of what?
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd love to go to something like that.

You can get to it from their website.... copy and paste this one.  I checked it out but 2200 is too much for me.

http://www.insightstraining.com/view_course.asp?courseID=155

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top