Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2011 3:42:21 PM EDT
Pistol and Rifle combative courses that are legit to the point that they could be applied to your resume. Anybody?
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably only ones offered by teh US Gov't (Army, USMC, FBI, etc.).  Or by your local community college's police academy.  

Neither of which are very impressive to anyone who knows much about training.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably depends on where you're submitting your resume.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Probably depends on where you're submitting your resume.

This.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Resume detail aside, who offers the best pistol and carbine combative courses for the money? Not just line up shooting at paper real fast, but stuff that engages you like barriers, kill houses, team movements, stuff like that?

I looked into DARC, but for all the awesome courses they have offered, they don't say what's open to civilians and what isn't (I'm LEO, but my friend who would be joining me isn't, and I want to include him.)

We've looked into USTC, but their courses take five days for things That take 2-3 days elsewhere, and for a high cost, so we aren't sure if we're paying a majority of that money for the Blackwater label.

Any further input or recommendations in regards? We're moreso focused on the knowledge learned and the experience to be had rather than resume matters at this point.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Resume detail aside, who offers the best pistol and carbine combative courses for the money? Not just line up shooting at paper real fast, but stuff that engages you like barriers, kill houses, team movements, stuff like that?

I looked into DARC, but for all the awesome courses they have offered, they don't say what's open to civilians and what isn't (I'm LEO, but my friend who would be joining me isn't, and I want to include him.)

We've looked into USTC, but their courses take five days for things That take 2-3 days elsewhere, and for a high cost, so we aren't sure if we're paying a majority of that money for the Blackwater label.

Any further input or recommendations in regards? We're moreso focused on the knowledge learned and the experience to be had rather than resume matters at this point.

Darc is doing a civilian open enrollment carbine course in September. I dont think a pistol course is scheduled till next year, but if you get 6 or more ready, Rich will be happy to discuss something sooner if he has time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Independence Training offers one day courses on handgun, carbine and shotgun that encompass all the things you are looking for. The company is based in Prescott Valley, AZ, but are willing to come to you. If you contact Rizzo1318 here on ARFCom he can give you more information about the courses and travel requirements.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Have no idea about programs in new york, but firearms training associates (FTA) here in CA is doing some great training through the surefire institute.  Magpul dynamics courses are picking up a lot of steam in LEO circles here, and they will come to you to train, but they are costly.  If you get enough people together, talk to Bill at FTA, www.ftatv.com.  he is a good guy and he travels all over the world, so he may be able to help you out.

BTW, all of the weapons training staff, tactics staff, and SWAT members on my (large) department have taken classes with Bill, so I say he is legit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
For resume builders, it's the traditional FLETC, NTOA, S&W Academy, KOGA Institute and such for you. Although not always the best for the money, they do add to your training jacket. For best value on rifle/pistol...Lamb, Vickers, Howe are worth the price. Their names are well known as speak for them; no question about the level of training you get with them (notice: all former CAG with VERIFIABLE combat experience). The problem with finding a non-LE only course that covers team movements & shoothouses is that most places will not teach that to civilians. Without getting on a tangent here, do you, as a LE officer, want every wantabe thug with a gun to know YOUR entry tactics & techniques???? If you want that type of training, you're gonna have to ditch the baggage and take a LE/mil course. In your position, I'd beg for a slot to an FBI course at Quantico. Good training & their certficates carry good weight as well. Again, your badge is needed to get in.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Without getting on a tangent here, do you, as a LE officer, want every wannabe thug with a gun to know YOUR entry tactics & techniques????

I don't think they can afford the weapons, the equipment for the weapons, the ammo, or the courses, so the thought never occurred to me.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Without getting on a tangent here, do you, as a LE officer, want every wannabe thug with a gun to know YOUR entry tactics & techniques????

I don't think they can afford the weapons, the equipment for the weapons, the ammo, or the courses, so the thought never occurred to me.

First, they can afford the weapons, equipment, and ammo.  In many cases, they are better armed than we are.

Second, they already have our entry tactics and techniques.  First, many gangs are sending representatives to the U.S. military to learn tactics that they then take back to the gangs.  I have many documented examples of this in my files at work.

Finally, I do not want to deny the LAW-ABIDING armed citizen access to the tactics they need to defend themselves, their families, and their homes, especially when many attackers will already be skilled in some sort of tactics.

I know I am getting off on a big tangent here, but I have a little story that takes place in a Southern California city.  For opsec, I will not give too many details on how I have this info, but a cartel leader was preparing to make a weapons trade in California.  His vehicle was loaded with machine guns, RPG's, full auto shotguns, and the like.  When some patrol units drove by, someone asked him if he wanted to do it another time.  He said "F**** the cops, if they have a problem, we will deal wth them."  The point being . . . as an American citizen or LEO, we are already outgunned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top