Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2012 6:36:34 PM EDT
You have 100 round of 9mm to shoot at a static range. (cant holster or draw, can only stand and shoot slowly).

Best way to train in that environment?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Load all your mags with 2 rounds.

Point at the target, the slide pulled back.
Seat the mag
Rack your slide
Shoot
Shoot
Repeat

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Seat the mag
Rack your slide
Shoot
Shoot
Repeat

Yup.  I would add in one handed shooting, with both strong and weak hand.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Trigger Control and Accuracy drills.

I hesitate to do 50 repetitions of shoot two, reload. You don't know that a threat will stop after 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 rounds. Why train yourself to keep stopping after two shots instead of when the threat ceases.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The shoot 2, reload. Works on your reloading, not stopping a threat. But I do agree, the op just doesn't have that many rounds to load 5-8 rounds to do it.

I'm not really sure what the OP directs his training towards.

I'd also suggest loading a fired round somewhere in the mag and work on clearing it.

It also allows you to see if you're anticipating/ pulling your shots
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seat the mag
Rack your slide
Shoot
Shoot
Repeat

Yup.  I would add in one handed shooting, with both strong and weak hand.

This, but the first 10 rounds should be at 10 yards aiming at a very small spot on the target. Time the shots about 4 seconds apart and between each round think about each part of your stance, shoulder position, grip, sight alignment, sight picture then press, press presss BANG "holy shit it went off". Do the same thing with last 10 rounds
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
33 rounds two handed, 33 rounds strong hand, 34 rounds weak hand.  Low light, not for distance, the mags at two rounds each is good, as mentioned for reloads, but I like to not have the same amount in each mag, so I would do maybe 2, 3, 5 and jumble them up so you don't know which is which.

could always work on FTE, that round gets re-used
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot dot torture once- 50 rounds.

Figure out what areas I did poorly on, use the remaining 50 rounds to practice those problem areas.

Gringop
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Real goal is to practice what is likely on the street and double practice those things that are not your current strengths.  Range session should last abou 1 hour if done clean and right.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I would shoot a President's 100 course.  I would follow that with back to back National Match courses.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on load up every mag you can with two rounds, draw, fire, reload, fire, reload till you're out of mags loaded mags.

Then dry fire a bunch.

Then do the 2 rounds drill again.
100 rounds is NOTHING when it comes to fixing bad habits, or creating (and especially fixing) muscle memory.  
I would keep single handed firing to a minimum, and concentrate more of dry firing in that area until you get more ammo.
ETA-  Sometimes when I'm hurting for ammo and can't find cheap .38 super, I'll load one round per mag, and draw/ fire/ reload just so I can get a ton of draw and fire in.

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#11]
dry fire 5, shoot 1

have friend help you do the dummy drill

dry fire

shoot 1 reload shoot 1

practice drawing and dry firing.

This is what I do when I'm getting low on ammo and/or money.

Buy Paul Howe's dvd about Handguns or his new one with all the drills.

Dry fire.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
everything needs practice from the draw to long strings of fire so I cant say that you should do X or Y, but I can say that I would use the rounds to verify dry fire practice. Dry fire untill you feel like your getting sloppy  and fire a couple of rounds to verify that you are putting the same effort in to the dry fire.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I always do the load 2 rounds in the mag and practice with both hands. But I also put a twist on it. I always practice drawing, loading and reloading with ONE hand.
You never know when you gonna need this skill
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 2:23:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I always do the load 2 rounds in the mag and practice with both hands. But I also put a twist on it. I always practice drawing, loading and reloading with ONE hand.
You never know when you gonna need this skill

It's funny you mention one hand reloads. I was doing some practice the other night, and once again it seems to me personally that one hand reloads are easier. Slower yes, but I think that benefits the smoothness. I either go to the holster or between the knees. It just seems like the likelihood of a bumble is lower.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
One handed and weak hand drills. Get dummy rounds and have a friend load mags for you. Clear the mals as they show up.

Even when restricted like you I still will drill from off the bench in front of me. Empty handed to firing is important.

Repeats of 3s is good practice. 2 chest 1 head at 7 yards.  Do that until it is ingrained in your head.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#16]
The way I look at it is draws, reloads, trigger press can be worked on without ammo. I would be looking for the things that you cant work on with dry fire. (this is assuming you do dry fire right?) I would be working on some strait up accuracy drills, followed by recoil management, and tracking my sights.

My range session looks something like this.

10 rounds slow fire at 25 yards

3-5 Fast Drills

10 rounds strong hand 10 yards

10 rounds weak hand 10 yards

rest of the ammo is spent firing 4-6 round strings at a 6" paper plate, and I might throw in some draw and fire a single shot on a index card.

I try to make it to the range at least twice a month, I shoot IDPA about every week, and try to dry fire at least twice a week.

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 2:06:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Here is a video doing the Hackathorn Standards. It's a great drill to run to see where you need improvement.

Each stage is shown in the video. Scoring is on IPSC target. A Zone = 5 pts. B Zone = 3 pts. C Zone = 2 pts.

Youtube - Hackathorn Standards

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_4/232002_Hackathorn_Standards___Glock_19.html

Link Posted: 8/21/2012 2:18:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I would recommend doing accurate draw-fire exercises and practicing reloads. draw-fire is going to be the most practical. Dont get lulled into shooting only 2 rounds per GO though. Most pistol calibers wont subdue a threat with just 2 rounds. Shoot 2 rounds, then 4, then 3, then 5. Mix it up because a 5'4 120lbs man NOT on meth will probably go down with 1 round, where a 6'7" 250lbs man on meth will take much more. Just my 2 cents from combat experience.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#20]
15 rounds slow fire at least 15 yards to get the trigger, sights, and grip working...
36 rounds fired in 18 round increments (2 triple Bill Drills, 15,10,7 yards)
18 rounds in a 3 target Bill Drill (15,10,7 yards)
12 rounds strong hand at 10 yards
6 rounds weak hand at 7 yards SLOWLY
12 rounds slowfire at least 15 yards to re-enforce the first drill.
99 rounds

save the last round for yourself.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#21]
good tips, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#22]
anymore ideas?
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Shoot dot torture once- 50 rounds.

Figure out what areas I did poorly on, use the remaining 50 rounds to practice those problem areas.

Gringop

This. Took the words out of my mouth.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#24]
OK here's another route.

Use 25 rounds to shoot the CSAT Standards.

Use the remaining 75 rounds to work on the areas that you failed.

Same concept as mentioned above with dot torture.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#25]
What ever drills you plan on doing: Dry firing fifty rounds first before every drill and then ACTUALLY shooitng the drill.  Dry fire slow and deliberate.  Speed'em up, then time and then the actual drill with live rounds.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Seat the mag
Rack your slide
Shoot
Shoot
Repeat

I do a mag with 1 round, reload mag has 2 rounds.

Start with slide DOWN, no round in chamber.
Aim, pull trigger, click.
Tap and Rack
Fire
Reload
Fire
Fire.

Repeat.

with 3 rounds you get to simulate a failure and a reload then getting 2 round on target.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#27]
25 rounds in as close approximation of my dept qual course.

50 rounds targeting a specific area or areas I feel need the most work (say 10 draw fire 2 at 15, 10 draw fire 2 at 25 and 5 draw fire to at whichever range needed work or 35yrd  or 50yrd if possible if I wanted to work on "long" range pistol shooting.  Alternately, all stages or just the last 5 pairs could be worked by adding moving to cover/using cover).

I recommend alternating what you work on each range trip, but it is important to track changes and vary what you are training on.  I have seen too many people focus on a specific area or limited set of areas.  While they do those things well, any range drill out side of that area tends to fuck with them.

Repeat department qualification, note differences(positive or negative).  

Also, the most important thing is tracking your results.  DON"T fall into the trap of doing the same thing over and over and blowing off the stuff that isn't as cool, "important", or that you don't do as well.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Lately, I've been dry firing about twice what I used to. Now I would probably shoot 20 rounds, dry fire 1000 and keep the rest! lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Dryfiring a lot.

First 50 rounds would all be 1 rd./magazine drills

Second half would be 2 rd./magazine drills

I would allow as much of a time interval inbetween these drills as possible. I would even mix up the 1-2rd. order
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:47:33 AM EDT
[#30]
100 rounds to train

1. Load 2 mags with 5 rounds shoot at 3 yards.

2. Load 2 mags with 10 rounds shoot at 7 yards

3. Load 3 mags with 10 rounds shoot at 15 yards.

4. Load 2 mags with 10 rounds shoot at 25 yards.

5. Load 2 mags with 10 rounds and practice one hand shooting with both hands at 3 yards.

That is what I am going to do next range trip.

Link Posted: 1/27/2013 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I always try to maximize the "mileage" of my ammo with interspersing dry-firing with live fire shooting, and by drawing and shooting only one or two at a time mostly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Print this:

Dot Torture

Repeat until you run dry.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I would use old cases and load them into the mags for malfunction drills. Load your mags the night before or have a buddy at  the range load them for you. Load each mag with different amount of rounds and with cases in different spots. I would stay at 7yrds if available and slow fire all rounds at a single point. Draw fire from a holster and reload from mag holders. I know it's a static range but while you clear the malfunction take a step left or right.
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seat the mag
Rack your slide
Shoot
Shoot
Repeat

I do a mag with 1 round, reload mag has 2 rounds.

Start with slide DOWN, no round in chamber.
Aim, pull trigger, click.
Tap and Rack
Fire
Reload
Fire
Fire.

Repeat.

with 3 rounds you get to simulate a failure and a reload then getting 2 round on target.

Wise route while also concentrating on basics...Grip, stance, trigger control, sight picture, and mechanics.....

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Search the Clint Smith 100 round course.  Best variety of drills I have found if you only have that many.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Stay home and dry fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top