Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2011 9:04:33 AM EDT
Greetings all.  I do not believe this is against any rules (posting your own article).  I wrote this article about some of the methods I use and teach to beginning/novice/intermediate shooters.  We have received a lot of positive feedback from both male and female readers stating that it was very easy to understand and full of great information that many other 'Instructors' failed to teach.

I thought some of you may enjoy the read.

Maximizing Your Range Time: http://missionspec.com/articles/maximizing-your-range-time/
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Good, easy to follow guidelines.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Good Read

Under "Practice the Entire Sequence" did you consider the different action types?  DA/SA v SA.  ie: run the gun the way the manufacture intended.  Sig & Beretta first round DA then SA; followed by a decocking then back to the start v Glock, XD, M&P taking finger off trigger is the safety; v 1911 disengaging the safety, firing then reengaging the safety.  What about adding a Tactical Reload at the end of the sequence?  Reason I ask it it seems 90%+ of the people out there want to only run DA/SA, and Revolvers in SA only; okay get a different gun IMO and MO only.

The following may be covered in a different article (or an idea for your next one) how to increase training time at the range.  Set up a type 1 malfunction (Failure to fire; empty chamber loaded mag or download a cylinder one round)  point in squeeze, click no bang, clear malfunction continue.  Yes, this is artificially set up but gives you one repetition per loading.  

Add a tactical reload after a string of firing.

Every time you pick up a magazine from the bench out of your bag (or back) have the mag indexed properly.  Hey it is more Proper Practice and building of muscle memory.

Keep Score/Don't fool yourself.  Fire your string, mag, iteration, etc.  Bring the target back and score it.  If using paper plates, index card etc this is easy how many hits, write that on the upper side of the target, tape it up/hang a new one and continue.  Your example of 18 million holes, yeah when when do you fire that one right there?

Holy target backers.  If you can't get a clean target backer hang a great big one backwards so you have a clean surface for practice.  No sense in jerking rounds low right all day long and not being able to diagnose what you are doing because there are a billion holes before you got there.  A $2 target for a clean backing gives you more feedback so you can improve.

Depending on the range you are using, and what skill you are trying to improve ASK IF YOU NEED SOMETHING.  I desired a chair when working on simulated long range for long guns as going prone was not allowed.  The range was more than willing and happy to loan me a chair from the class room so I could use their benches.  It was not perfect but it is what could be done at that range.

Just some thoughts

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagged
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Good article, thanks. Forwarded it on to several other friends.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I am glad that you are all enjoying the article.  Working on another as we speak.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Great article, plus it led me to your website and that badass IAS Sling - looking forward to putting one through the paces!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent article. The dry-firing between magazines (cylinders) has really helped me improve my DA revolver shooting. I also practice the entire sequence of draw, fire, reholster when dry firing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Excellent article. The dry-firing between magazines (cylinders) has really helped me improve my DA revolver shooting. I also practice the entire sequence of draw, fire, reholster when dry firing.

That is great!  It always feels good to know that the info has helped someone out.  Helps fuel me to write another article.  Don't forget to check out my other article specifically regarding Dry Fire Practice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Great write up.  I especially appreciated the advice about staying "cool' /calm while at the range. For whatever reason I get "keyed" up at the range.  It's something I realized is messing up my progress.  Nice to see I may not be the only one!

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top