Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2010 11:39:53 PM EDT
I searched.  My cold bore shot landed 6" right at 100 yards.  I thought cold shots land higher.  DPMS AP4 308.  Remington hunting ammo.  Is this highly unusual?  My warm groups are about an inch wide and 1.75 inch high.  New rifle, shitty trigger, 20* f, and at night.  Plus I suck.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Since no one else has taken a stab at helping...

I am pretty certain as your barrel warms your shots should string upward.  Left and right cold bore I wouldn't know.  My focus is reduced course high power.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#2]
cold bore... was it clean? or had a fouling shot been used?...  

6" off at 100yards seems excessive for any gun for a cold bore shot. 9 times out of 10, when i have a 'cold bore' mistake, its usually an inch or 2 @100m off, and 90% of those i can attribute to not fouling a clean gun...
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 4:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Not to pick on you but could it be a cold shooter and not a cold bore issue?  6 moa shift is huge.

Next trip out, try warming up your trigger squeeze with some dry fire and/or shooting another rifle first.  This will help you and assist you in figuring out if it's the gun or you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
6MOA is a pretty big shift, most of what I have seen is within 1 MOA.  Try some dry fire drills before you send your cold/clean bore shot, it might help you with the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I searched.  My cold bore shot landed 6" right at 100 yards.  I thought cold shots land higher.  DPMS AP4 308.  Remington hunting ammo.  Is this highly unusual?  My warm groups are about an inch wide and 1.75 inch high.  New rifle, shitty trigger, 20* f, and at night. Plus I suck.

I wouldn't be so hard on you.  6" is a huge shift. Maybe you just pulled one a little?  Try it again and see if your first shot isn't alot better.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#6]
There is no way.....   Is the shooter not the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems like a long time since I started this.  My cold bore shots are more like 2" off now.  I don't suck quite so bad.  I sent the trigger to Bill Springfield and learned a thing or two here and on the Hide.  I've also found I need to spring for better ammo.  

New question, then:

Why does one kind of ammo shoot 2" left from another.  Up and down is easier to understand.  Barrel whip?  Should I be looking for a new bbl on my AP4?  
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
There are a lot of factors at work here but start with identifying which bullets and weights are doing what.   This will allow you to gather some Intel beyond what you have given out thus far
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Barrel harmonics.  Simply put your barrel reacts differently to different ammo.  Depending on when the bullet leaves the barrel during the "flexing" stage of the shot depends on the difference in POI.  

Hope that helps.

MAHA

ETA:  Link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top