Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2010 1:48:27 PM EDT
I just started shooting Production in USPSA and was curious if using 147 grain flat points 9mm would help in knocking down steel poppers.  Last match I kept hearing it them ping, but they weren't falling.

Also, should I be concerned with using them with a stock G17 barrel?

What differences between AE 124 grain and AE 147 grain flat points can I expect (if any).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are sure you hit the popper in the circular part in the middle and it didn't go down ask for a calibration.  By USPSA rules poppers must be set to go down when hit with sub-minor (115-125) power factor ammunition.  To ask for a calibration challenge the popper must not have fallen.  Also make sure you aren't just hitting them low.

I've only run across a handful of poppers that wouldn't go down with minor PF ammo.  That doesn't mean the guys that set up your local matches might be overlooking the calibration of the poppers when they set up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive herd the same steel hit with factory 45 cal 230 fmj and the steel did not fall. But my hits were way way low.

You got to hit the popper in the circle (or higher) with any ammo 125pf or higher in order for it to fall.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always aimed to deliver my shot in the upper 1/3 of the round portion and into  the head area of the popper- never a problem knocking them over with 9mm.like all else shot placement is the solution
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top