Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2009 8:48:16 AM EDT
I've been to my 3rd IDPA match and one of those was a classifier. I missed my classification by 19 piont's. I dont expect to make it for awhile. I still need alot of practice. So I ask how long did it take you to classify?
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#1]
What division and classification are you looking to make? CDP, SSP, ESP?  Novice, Marksman, Sharpshooter?

I started USPSA in Feb 07 and when I shot my first IDPA classifier in Summer 08, I just slid into SSP Expert. But honestly, I don't think it means much as I've seen several Sharpshooters that shoot better than I do but they can never classify anything higher than Sharpshooter.

IMHO, they should do away with the whole classification system and everyone just competes in one large bucket.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
ESP. I did awful. My score was a 209 and I needed a 190. As much as I've been practicing my aim, unholstering and the whole works I've still havent got it down. I know it wont happen over night but it just gets to me that I'm missing so much.

ETA= as for your classification, it can be any. Just want to know how long it took as I know it is less or more time for other's.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If you take the time to dry fire 5-10 mins per day, you'll see drastic improvements in your gun handling abilities.  The formula I use is 10 dry fire snaps for every live round.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Well technically you are classified as a Novice. My first classification was Marksman in ESP. The key to the IDPA classifier is to not kill yourself with points down on the 3rd stage. Take your time and get your hits.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
That's the stage I tanked on. I think I was down 22 point's on that stage.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
If you make GM or Master in USPSA they will automatically make you a master in IDPA, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you make GM or Master in USPSA they will automatically make you a master in IDPA, no questions asked.

Wrong. A GM should not have any touble making Master but you still have to shoot the Classifier.

To the OP look at this sticky on M4 carbine.net, lots of good info on the Classifier
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8176

Gringop
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#8]
My first IDPA classifier I think I missed Marksman in CDP by >30 seconds.  It was ugly.  IIRC the next year I made barely made Marksman in CDP, but easily shot Sharpshooter in SSP... that was when I decided to get rid of my lousy 1911 and concentrate on Glocks full-time.  

The long-distance portion kills most people's times because they do not spend any time practicing at distances greater than 10 yards.  You've got to go into it already knowing you can make those shots... and if you can't confidently say that, you've got to practice until you can.

This page has a lot of good advice on shooting the classifier: http://www.ccidpa.org/clastips.html
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#10]
2 years ago the first Match I shot was a classifier; the Second was the Postal Match, Talk about luck.

On a side note I have shot 2 Classifiers in the last 3 months (SSP & ESP two differnt clubs) and neither of them are showing up in my IDPA member area, anyone else seeing the lack of updates?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#12]
This will be just my second year shooting the classifier.  Last year I classified Expert for SSP.  The question I have is, if I only classify SSP SS this year, I'm still classified as an Expert, correct?  The club I plan to shoot my classifier at will send in the results to IDPA HQ, so will my SSP class. show up as SS or remain EX?

Also, would like to get my CDP done this year too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top