Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2007 8:30:37 AM EDT
I'm interested in learning about IDPA shoots. I looked at their website and the type of pistols used seem a little vauge. What type can you use? I saw that you use the factory sights but I see shows that some of the competitors use some type of optics on their guns. IDPA stands for Iternational defensive pistol association. Well my defensive pistol I have doesn't have optics on it. Can someone in "Blue Collar" terms shed some light on this? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt you saw a TV show with IDPA shooters having optics on thier guns. Optics are not allowed for IDPA competition.

Conventional post and notch type sights are legal for IDPA.

I hope this clears things up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#3]
any servicable "normal" gun can be used for IDPA: in the rule book it requires a minimal production run for the pistol and any normal gun will meet this, for shooting idpa i would recomend either a 1911 or a springfield xd model (ive shot my 9mm and .45 and both are good). if you want optics find a USPSA event and shoot a open gun, limited might allow optics but im not sure
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
USPSA/IPSC in Open division is where optics reign.  EVERY other division in USPSA/IPSC does not allow optics.

IDPA is a completely different game, but the nice part is that with certain pistols, holsters, etc. you can shoot both.

A 1911 in IDPA can be used in either CDP or ESP (depending on the caliber).  The same pistol, mags, holster, pouches, etc. can be used in Singlestack division.  A Glock/XD or similar pistol can play in ESP or SSP in IDPA.  Same everything in Production Division in USPSA.

Gotta love it.  If you have any questions, feel free to write and I'll do my best to assist.

Rich
Link Posted: 3/26/2007 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#5]
not to oversimplify, but if you have "regular" style iron sights, you can shoot in IDPA or USPSA/ipsc. it just puts you in a certain class. dont be put off by the complexity of the "rules". if you can contact someone in your area who runs the shoots, a quick 5 minute conversation can get you going. once you attend a shoot your set. in general you wont find better people. most are there for pure fun and even the most "competitive" folks are more than willing to divulge the tricks of the trade.  be safe and have fun. vutvut
Link Posted: 3/26/2007 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all of your info. Now I just have to find a match that my calander will allow.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:30:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Another question. I have trijicon night sights on my carry pistol, are they allowed?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Another question. I have trijicon night sights on my carry pistol, are they allowed?

Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top