Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:09:16 PM EDT
im doing up a service rifle upper for nra and cmp competition.  what rear sight system (gunsmith)  is the one to have right now.  i have the capability to modify parts by machining and welding pinning  if need be for fit.  im also open to appiture and front sight size recomendations.  i milled down some sights to .062 and .052 today
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm running John Holliger's pinned sights, always have. A lot of other sources are available now, but over ten years ago he was the go to guy.

I use 1/4X1/4 which is finer than most people like. I just think 4 clicks equals one minute. Lots of AR service rifle compeitors are old and started out with M1's and M1A's. They stayed with 1/2X1/2 rear sights because they were familiar with them. I just figured finer adjustments is a positive development, I don't know how many times I wished a had it way back then.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:00:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm running John Holliger's pinned sights, always have. A lot of other sources are available now, but over ten years ago he was the go to guy.

I use 1/4X1/4 which is finer than most people like. I just think 4 clicks equals one minute. Lots of AR service rifle compeitors are old and started out with M1's and M1A's. They stayed with 1/2X1/2 rear sights because they were familiar with them. I just figured finer adjustments is a positive development, I don't know how many times I wished a had it way back then.

Sir, FWIW this old competitor that started out with an M1 and M1A quickly grasped the advantage of being more aggressive on the sights when I switched to the AR.  I too use 1/4X1/4 pinned sights that I bought from WOP.  There are other choices available, the name "Carrier" comes to mind but for my purposes WOP is the best available option.  7zero1 out.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I started off with the narrowest front sight available from RRA (0.050?) and just recently went with an 0.070 (aka 'standard' AR size) based on two reasons:

The Mind Over Matter DVD set from the CMP has AMU shooters in it and each one recommends a fat front sight.  They even go so far as to talk about focusing on the center of the top edge of the front sight.

I used a standard size in the Camp Perry Rifle SAFS and it worked great.

It all has to do with focus on the front sight.  Very easy with a fat one, very hard with a thin one (eye fatigue, mental fatigue, etc due to the required concentration)

I'm still working on the .040 rear aperture and whether I want larger.

eta: I have excellent vision
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
For front sight, I agree with the other posters about the .070 blade; it gives you some real estate to center up on the aiming black.  I started with a NM (.040) blade and switched back to the wide post after doing a lot of horizontal stringing.  For a rear sight, you could not go wrong with WOP rear sight. Let the expert pin your sight.  Definately 1/4 X 1/4 too.

Roy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top