Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2009 4:19:53 PM EDT
After many years away from shooting sports (former PPC shooter) I'd like to give high power and service rifle a go.  Are there any high power shooters in western NC or east TN?  I'm in the Asheville area and seeking information on ranges, matches, equipmnet, etc.  Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:45:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
After many years away from shooting sports (former PPC shooter) I'd like to give high power and service rifle a go.  Are there any high power shooters in western NC or east TN?  I'm in the Asheville area and seeking information on ranges, matches, equipmnet, etc.  Any help appreciated.

Sir, there's alot of highpower competitors that frequently travel 200mi or more to compete in full distance matches.  That said the matches conducted by the North State Shooting Club at Camp Butner are probably the closest full distance high power matches for you.  They have a web site or you can google NSSC and their schedule for the year is on a link.  FWIW they had a match there this past Saturday.  HTH, 7zero1.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sir, there's alot of highpower competitors that frequently travel 200mi or more to compete in full distance matches.  That said the matches conducted by the North State Shooting Club at Camp Butner are probably the closest full distance high power matches for you.  They have a web site or you can google NSSC and their schedule for the year is on a link.  FWIW they had a match there this past Saturday.  HTH, 7zero1.

I know what you mean about travelling for matches having travelled up and down the east coast for regionals years ago.  I've found the North State club website and hope to shoot some of their matches in the comming year.  What I'd really like though is someone local who can help with coaching me during my early practice sessioins.  As a former instructor I know the value of a coach with new shooters.  While I have a great deal of experience with handguns I've never fired a rifle in competition and would like to have someone with experience along on my early practice sessions to coach my efforts.  It's easier to pick up good habits from the start than to unlearn bad habits later.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#3]
There are several reduced course ranges relatively close to Asheville...
Polk Co. GC (Columbus), Watauga GC (Boone), Catawba Valley GC (Conover), Durham Rifle and Pistol Club, and Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club. There are probably more. but these are off the top of my head. I would mention Asheville R&P of which I am a member, but their High Power program is practically dead...
The closest full course ranges are Oak Ridge (Tn.), Riverbend GC (Dawsonville GA.), and Butner.

I'm in Waynesville BTW, and if I can help you out just let me know.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are several reduced course ranges relatively close to Asheville...
Polk Co. GC (Columbus), Watauga GC (Boone), Catawba Valley GC (Conover), Durham Rifle and Pistol Club, and Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club. There are probably more. but these are off the top of my head. I would mention Asheville R&P of which I am a member, but their High Power program is practically dead...
The closest full course ranges are Oak Ridge (Tn.), Riverbend GC (Dawsonville GA.), and Butner.

I'm in Waynesville BTW, and if I can help you out just let me know.

It's looking like that's about it, other than the two forest service ranges near Franklin.  I talked to a gentleman from the Asheville Club and I'm planning to go to their meeting Monday night.  Maybe I can find out a bit more there.  Do you do any reloading?  I'm also looking for a shop that carries a lot of reloading supplies and equipment in the area.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought you meant only ranges that run matches......As for Forest Service ranges, there are a couple more. One in Sylva, and another in Bethel.
Asheville R&P only allows centerfire shooting from a few benches right now. No position shooting is allowed at all, and I wonder if it ever will be again. Something to think about.......
For reloading supplies, try Rex's in Hendersonville. Prices aren't all that great but he has everything.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the responses, I've got some ideas about where to start.

Thanks to all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top