Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 3:42:35 PM EDT
A little background first:
I shot Varsity smallbore back in the mid-70's when Lehigh (Bethlehem PA) had a team (pre-NCAA)
Couple years later, I sold my Anschutz and bought a Series 70 Colt Gold Cup and have been shooting pistol since.
Caught BRD in 2005 after my divorce and bought a Bushy DCM off the shelf.
Been competing (made Expert this season) with it since, but as a southpaw, my slow prone suffers from having to break and remake position every shot.
So 6 months ago, I ordered a Stag 6HL upper (24" stainless 1/8 left-handed flattop) which arrived this week.

I need match sights for it.

For the rear, the Phoenix Precision (here) looks like it will fill the bill, and I can add an iris and lens to it.
My problem is the front.
The barrel measures .936" dia all the way to the muzzle.
I can't find anyplace that shows a clamp-on front (like the Tubbs here) to fit this "fat" barrel
Can anyone help?

The other issue, though much more minor, is the freefloat tube.  The Stag came with a Hogue overmold which has a sling stud on it, but no accomodation for a adjustable handstop.
What's involved here?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You can change out the float tube for a competition one that is slotted on the bottom. Several manufactureres. While you have the tube off, pull the barrel and send it to adco or another smith to turn the end of the barrel to .750 so that it will fit all the sights out there. Or you could send the whole upper to compass lake or white oak and have them change the tube and turn the barrel at the same time.
Good shooting to you!

Also, I really like the phoenix rear sight and 30mm "right sight" for the front.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the Right Sight (Stallings Machine).  You will want the larger adjustable aperture. You could ask Mr. Stallings if he would make a base to fit the larger barrel, but having it turned down at the muzzle to 0.750 makes a lot of sense as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always had good luck with Compass Lake Engineering.  This was mostly for Service Rifle.  Good people.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a couple of RPA Trakker rear sights over on US national match
You do have to register.
'Borg
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Medesha sell a match rifle FSB that fits a 0.936 barrel, the model AR-BB.  I have a couple I've been using for a decade with no complaints.  I prefer not to alter the barrel profile after the maker spent time lapping it; the diameter will open slightly when it's turned down, and that's exactly what you don't want to happen.  Resist the urge to tighten the clamp screws on the sight base too much or you'll constrict the muzzle, which isn't good either.  I just get mine snug and the us penetrating (green) LocTite to freeze it in place.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]
My understanding was that rifled barrels were turned down after the bore was made.
This is the first time I have heard concern with the bore expanding after the OD is turned.

Here is how CLE makes their blanks into barrels.
CLE
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Normally the barrel maker bores and rifles the blank, then turns it to the finished profile, followed by finish lapping to produce a uniform bore over the length of barrel.  Turning down the OD will cause the ID to expand slightly, negating the finish lapping done by the barrel maker.  That's why barrel maker offer profiled barrels rather than just straight blanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
May be Frank didn't know

Damn.  Wish I'd none that about 30 yrs. ago.   Wonder if my .45 Buhmiller blank will be any good if I ever decide what to do with.  Wonder why no one else knows about this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top