Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2009 8:16:10 PM EDT
Building my own 1" scope stand and was wondering what scope mount/ head is the one of choice for you DCM'ers.
I have picked a few and made a poll. Please vote and post pros and cons or why you have decided to stick with a particular brand.

Thanks USMC223!
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Building my own 1" scope stand and was wondering what scope mount/ head is the one of choice for you DCM'ers.
I have picked a few and made a poll. Please vote and post pros and cons or why you have decided to stick with a particular brand.

Thanks USMC223!

Wow,, 100% for Ray-Vin,, oh, wait, I was the only one that voted so far.
I love the way that Ray's head can be used one handed, the ease of adjustment, the ability to reverse the scope for either side is the biggest pro.
That way I can have the scope on my strong side for OH, then loosen the head, turn the scope around, and use it for sitting and prone on my weak side.
'Borg
ETA, the head is a very simple style, but very functional.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 5:00:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Voted.  Ray-Vin here.  When I got started in HP last year it seemed most recomendations on here were "Ray-Vin" for product & support.  Bought the 60" with removeable head mount and haven't looked back.  No issues and no problems.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Ray-Vin all the way. I got the 48" classic scope stand and it works fine with my Kowa 661. Since then, I've also gotten his smoker and range cart. All worked great at my first trip to Camp Perry last year. The stand will attach to the cart with the proper kit, and be used as a handle for towing. I've had nothing but great service and fast delivery from Ray.

If I'd already had a stable 1" stand, I would have gotten the Ray-Vin. My previous stand was light and wobbly, and smaller than 1". Unless you absolutely have to build your own stand, save time and get the whole deal. It works great for me. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#4]
i like the ray vinn
i have the champions choice articulating head great but found i really don't use the adjustment knobs
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Freeland saddle head mount and stand and that is what I voted for.  It works great for me, and you can't beat the durability of the saddle mount.  Being an engineer and pretty much automatically analyzing every mechanical system I see, the ones that use the itty bitty little (1/4 - 20 I think?) screw to mount the head to the scope scare the tar out of me.  All it takes is one good fall to break that little screw or strip the threads out of the scope band and you're done.  I've seen scopes go over at Camp Perry and other matches and I just don't want to take the chance with my expensive scope.

That's just my take on it...

Matt

ETA: Anything is an improvement over the home-made stand I started wtih!  We welded up a base from scrap after work one day, I bought a piece of 5/8" OD pipe and machined a little crummy mount out of aluminum.  It worked OK for a year, but I'm glad its packed away in the attic and not in my shooting gear anymore!
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Ray-Vin stopped offering scope head separately, it only comes with his stand now, but you can always ask.
Link Posted: 5/16/2009 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ray-Vin stopped offering scope head separately, it only comes with his stand now, but you can always ask.

Ordered one last night. Maybe they started offering them again.

Thanks for the input folks!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2009 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used the Ray-vin and the Freeland.... and have a pile of Champions Choice stands and heads at the office.  Last year I bought two complete Big Blue sets for the staff to test and use.    This season I ordered 10 big blue scope heads for the freeland stand we have.   Buy once cry once.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2009 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]
once again go Ray-Vin!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I voted other because I don't have one yet, but there's no see results link!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I received an IM for some pics of my  version of a scope stand. So I figured that after getting guidance here for a scope head choice I should post the finished product here. My home made scope stand is finished  in some left over OD Cerakote, then topped with a Ray-Vin head ( based on the poll) and a Vanguard scope. FYI  Ruby over at Ray-Vin is a wonderful woman.

Thanks folks!!

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks good man.Question is, how does it perform for ya? I'd buy one!!! Thanks for posting pics,great inspiration.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks good man.Question is, how does it perform for ya? I'd buy one!!! Thanks for posting pics,great inspiration.

Thanks!
Performance? Well........ I injured myself and have not been able to shoot a match with it as of yet. However it worked great standing next to me as I did some hand load testing from the bench! I am looking forwart to shooting some matches within the next month or two, so a report will follow. A short season is better than no season!

Happy shooting folks!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top