Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2008 5:27:37 AM EDT
After using my Jewell trigger for about seven years, I finally saw the need to re-tune the beast.  It is simple, now that I kinda understand the trigger.

On the other hand, my RRA trigger is really funky now, it is too light, about 3 - 3 1/2 lbs.  I pulled out my trigger scale gauge and tested it numerous times.  Hey, she used to be 5 1/2 lbs!
This trigger is kinda simple, no adjustments, not much can go wrong.  Or is there?  something I don't know about???  I only have about 2K rounds on it.   Spring shot?  
anything I can look at really quickly to diagnose this guy?  I would like to get it back to approximately 4 1/2 lbs.  (Yes, I store the trigger up, not back).  What up?
thanks
Billy boy

Link Posted: 5/22/2008 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Use real weights, spring and electronic gauges are useless.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I am with Lenny on this one! Real NRA weights are accurate. Expensive to own but your club's match director should have them.

If your RRA or any trigger similar to it, for example the K/M MKII or Armalite, the trigger spring legs need to be bent downward to add weight. Be sure to bend them the same exact amount. Place the spring on a piece of glass to check them. Bending them just a tad will add weight real fast. Keep in mind, if you bend them too much, then bend them back again, you have now weakened the integrity of the wire. It will not hold weight for very long. If you do bend a spring too much, best to start off with a new spring. Most dealers offer them for $2 or less.

BTW, the Jewell you have could probably use a set of new springs by now. They will slightly improve the lock time and with the Jewell, you need all the lock time you can get! They have the laziest hammer in the AR today!
If you order new springs from Jewell, save the old ones for spares. They have been known to break. Then your SOL until the mailman delivers you a new set.

Hope this helps.

Dave McGrath

Link Posted: 5/29/2008 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Wrangler:
I wrote to RRA for new springs and they said I could buy a new trigger!  i.e., they do not sell springs.  I am not too happy about this.
Do you know anyone who does?

thanks

billy boy
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Billy;

Everyone sells new trigger springs. The gun show vendors and even MidwayUSA. They cost about $2 or less.

If your certain your trigger is light, you can also bend the trigger legs down equally about 1/16" inch. It will bring the weight up.

RRA does sell springs! I don't know if they hired a flunky to answer you but give them a call and talk to a person with a pulse! Preferably the owners Mark or Chuck Larson. They will ream someone out!

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
David Tubb's website sells springs http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/ar15_images/cs_trigger.html
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
OK Billy, what did you find out?

www.rockriverarms.com/

1-866-980-7625

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When I shot Jewell triggers I changed springs out every season on them after having one break at Perry.  I always carried spares too.

Good advice from an experienced rifleman!

There was a time when I used a Jewell. After I learned of John's problem, I too bought new springs from Jewell. Then I kept my old ones for spares in a small box in my shooting stool.

Another word of advice I would give is this. If your running a Jewell or a Giessle, you would be wise to carry spare springs because these triggers use special springs, unlike the GI type (available most anywhere) used in the RRA, Armalite or Milazzo.

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Dave:

very strange indeed.  I called both the sales and the customer services group.
they indicated they dont sell 'parts' and that I could send in the trigger group and they will fix "the part" and charge me for it.  (Did they really understand my question/ problem?) (say what)  this is weird.
Can I use a 'standard' available hammer spring?  Will the Tubb springs on the Midway site work?  

thanks for your help.  You guys are a great resource!
Bill D
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I have bought small parts from Rock River in the past??  Have you tried ADCO, they are a RRA outlet.  I will give you another option:  Call White Oak Armament and send it to them for a tune-up.  John does a heck of a job on RRA NM 2-stages.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#11]
RRA sells parts! They have everything available at Perry. They build their products from parts! Hey, I don't know what the problem is but you got a $2.00 problem at the worst!
Call them and ask to speak to Mark Larson. It's a toll free number. I don't know what the big deal is here but if I had your trigger/lower, I could fix it with the spring you have and in a 10 minute time frame. This isn't "rocket science". Bend the legs of the trigger spring down about 1/16" or buy a new $2 trigger spring. Are you sure your trigger is light? What are you asking them to do?
Your the first I know of having a problem with their warranty service. Something isn't right here!
Come on Billy!

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:20:11 AM EDT
[#12]
AG:
thanks for the tip!  
ADCO handled the RRA springs in a jiffy!

(Are you in western or eastern PA?  I plan to move to the Allentown area)

Yes, I bought some other stuff too, like RRA back up sights that I needed.  good prices, good quality, something rare these days.

hey, I am happy now.
billy boy
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Dave:

very strange indeed.  I called both the sales and the customer services group.
they indicated they dont sell 'parts' and that I could send in the trigger group and they will fix "the part" and charge me for it.  (Did they really understand my question/ problem?) (say what)  this is weird.
Can I use a 'standard' available hammer spring?  Will the Tubb springs on the Midway site work?  

thanks for your help.  You guys are a great resource!
Bill D

Billy Boy;

From RRA's web site:

www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=287

Part #92 $1.00 each

Realizing your plight, I have come to this assessment of your problem
A few years ago, two brothers (Mark & Chuck Larson) started RRA after they left Armalite. From their very humble beginning they have grown into a very large company.
Now here is probably what had to happen. If Illinois is anything like Pennsylvania, they had to hire people from the welfare roles. Lucky you, you got to talk to them.

Dave McGrath
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top