Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2017 9:24:32 AM EDT
My ShootSteel Stati 12X20 targets stated that I need to shoot the 223/556 from 100 yards due to if shot closer, it will damage the steel and possible splash back.  Yet, there are tons of YouTube videos from reputable trainers and reviewers shooting the steel much closer. I saw one guy shot AR Pistol at the 5-yard range.  Are they using specialized frangible ammo?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The distance stated is from their legal dept.

Use at your own risk if less than the recommended distance. I would go as little as 50 yards and I would not use steel core ammo.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I think this is one of those. “There is always a chance” issues.  The one that makes me think is the repeat shots on a falling popper.  If it’s on the way back the following ones are liable to skip up and over the berm especially with fmj.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot steel for years... take it from me... bullets and fragments will do unbelievable things when they hit steel.

SPEED kills and damages steel. I punched a hole CLEAN THROUGH my MGM AR500 IPSC size target at 100 yards with a .22-250 and a Sierra 52gr SMK... I knew better.

If you shoot at closer ranges two things are a guarantee... 1) you will dimple the targets; and 2) sooner or later you're going to see or feel splash-back. I once had a ricochet go over our heads and hit the tin roof of our farm house almost 100 yards away.

I still have a piece of .40 S&W bullet jacket in my right wrist from shooing a plate rack at 20 yards with standard velocity ammo.

We shoot steel at SWAT Training twice a month, 18-20 shooters, several hundred rounds each, so I see A LOT of steel vs. bullet reaction.  I give classes where we shoot steel at less than 100 yards and we've had pieces come back w/o causing injury... EYE PRO ALWAYS no matter what.

Frangible ammo is a different story, no issues that I've ever seen, albeit I've shot VERY LITTLE of it over the years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top