Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 6:54:43 PM EDT
I've been meaning to do a video on this for a while.  It's a common discussion that I've had especially with competition guys and ranges that ban steel cased ammo.  A video I stumbled across from INRANGE spurred me to do it.  I'll link the INRANGE video as well.

Steel Damage Ammo Test: 5.56 TulAmmo vs M193

BIMETAL AMMO VS STEEL PLATE MYTH
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Ifs it ar500 or 550 steel it does not matter, We have 6 plates that for over the last 8 years have seen greater than 50% wolf steel shot at them and they are still working fine for our club. On average 20 people @ 80rds, twice a month divided between all the plates. And most of it is between 100 and 50 yards, we have to occasionally turn the steel around to un concave it. The current old batch is finally at the end of its use full life at 8yrs old.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Like the post above me, I've let students pound away at my quality MGM steel targets with bimetal ammo with no additional ill effect. Like you state in the video, distance is key to long target life.

I recently shot one of my MGM steel targets with a 40gr bullet form a .22-250... bad mistake, went clean through the target at 100 yards... I knew better... speed kills.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]
M193 is actually a really nice round all around.
never agreed with the .mils switch to M855.

Incidentally I recently shot some Wolf Military Classic 62 gr HP at a 1/4 inch non armor steel and it went thru like a hot knife thru butter.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 1:18:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't worry about my targets at all.

I do however avoid bimetal jackets any time there is a fire risk due to dry weather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top