Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2016 2:44:48 AM EDT
I work security at a VERY low-activity post. I'm wondering if there are things I can do to improve some skills.

I'm unarmed, but I have considered a SIRT pistol as one idea. I've also thought about grip strength workouts and that sort of thing. Obviously I have a laptop and plenty of books and documentaries

Actual workouts like lifting and running are out, but I'd appreciate any other ideas to keep me from just stagnating here.

I do a lot of reading (currently on Ultimate Sniper) and have a lockpick practice kit I use now and then, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a link to a Reddit sub-reddit for guards:

https://www.reddit.com/r/securityguards/

Improving your skills: Can you bring a laptop to work? Do you have WiFi there? If so, I'd suggest you work on office skills: Word, excel, etc. Study report writing. There are very few skills that will impress a hiring supervisor more than good writing skills.

Study for your ham radio license.

Contact Dept. of Homeland Security for online courses they can offer. There's lots of stuff that may help you when you try to upgrade your job. "Officer MadMonkey, why should we hire you instead of that other officer?" "I've taken several offerings from the DHS site, such as Active Shooter training..." See what I'm getting at? If you show that you're improving yourself, you have a much better chance of getting that next job than does the guy who works at the local Stop & Rob.

https://www.dhs.gov/how-do-i/find-training-opportunities

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:26:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Already a HAM and an aspiring novelist... my report writing always results in shocked supervisors

Excel could use some work though. Always have a laptop.

I don't have Wifi (unless I manage to snag a guest password somehow) but the DHS training stuff is actually a good idea.

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone else have some ideas?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:43:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Excel could use some work though. Always have a laptop.
View Quote

If Excel/MS Office costs too much, Open Office is free, has virtually the same functionality, and teaches the same skills, if not the same techniques.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Been there, done that.

Depends on your contract, really. If you wanna talk offline, I'd be happy to.

I am always 'that guy' on a guard contract.

Many people are just fine picking their nose and dozing for months at a time.

Not me.

I always try to find a way to incorporate tactics into whatever post I might be at. Obviously, these things need to happen when the clients, visitors and mockers aren't around, but I do them.

For instance, one post I was at had a building next door they bought. Old doctors building, three stories tall. We needed to check it once a night to make sure hobos weren't building condos and the pipes hadn't burst.

The others didn't go in because it was 'scary'.

I bought a blue pistol and blue carbine and spent about an hour a night working corners and hallways and clearing rooms. Slow and deliberate. Lights on, low light, no light. It was some of the best time I've ever spent.

Hotels? Play what if. Can you put out a car fire? Can you rescue a drowning victim? How would you break up an out-of-control party?

Factories? More clearing. Stalk employees. (Don't get caught). Point being, learn how to surveil. How does the camera system work? What does the plant do in an evacuation?

Driving in a parking lot? I learned how to drive like the mailmen do. I practiced parallel parking. I practiced car stops on empty vehicles at 3 in the morning. I got out, and just listened in the dark... it's amazing how far sound and light carry.

Does your guard company offer any online training? Is there a company that does? Does the local community college offer any security or self defense courses?

It's like being in jail. You can sit there and rot, or you can make the best of your time whenever the bulls aren't watching.

And, go ahead and tease me. I don't care. Training is where you find it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's like being in jail. You can sit there and rot, or you can make the best of your time whenever the bulls aren't watching... go ahead and tease me. I don't care. Training is where you find it.
View Quote

Word.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]

I've been learning how to use Excel and it's paid off big time.

I'm the go-to guy for all things spread sheet where I work.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top