Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2015 1:02:14 AM EDT
I'm taking a training class In a few weeks outdoors, and it's gonna be cold.

My question, any recommendations on specific type of head gear, or balaclava type clothing item to keep my head and neck warm?
Gonna be wearing standard ear pro, and baseball cap, not sure if a old school ski mask type would let my ear pro work well, and quiet down the gunfire.

Not worried about the rest of my body, I have gear and base layers, prepping for 7 or 8 degree days...
Tia.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Under Armor ColdGear Balaclava.

Works well for me at work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Like this one? ua site
Would ear muff type ear pro work well with it?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I like my Schampa 100% polyester balaclava thats designed for cold weather motorcycle riding. If its really cold I add a ski hat over my head and ears. Then if absolutely necessary a hood.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like my Schampa 100% polyester balaclava thats designed for cold weather motorcycle riding. If its really cold I add a ski hat over my head and ears. Then if absolutely necessary a hood.
View Quote

Ha vent found any of these yet, but I did end up ordering the UA one that was mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
A ski cap?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A ski cap?
View Quote

Just wanted something that ear pro would still work well on, I figure ski caps might be too think
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:29:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Like this one? ua site

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Like this one? ua site

Yes.  That's the one.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Watch cap.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ha vent found any of these yet, but I did end up ordering the UA one that was mentioned.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Schampa's are usually found in the cold weather gear on motorcycle/atv/ski machine sites or stores. They are thin enough to wear ear protection over. The ski hats that I wear to the range in the cold are usually a size or two larger than I normally wear to fit over my ear pro. If all else fails you can use the foam type ear plugs under anything. I know its a hassle popping one in and out when talking but at least you will be warm.

http://www.schampa.com/Balaclavas_s/1.htm

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be the first to admit they look a little gay, but the Outdoor Research Transcendent Beanie is super warm.  

It's like a goose down sleeping bag for your head.

Blackrock Gear also makes down hats.

I own both an original Blackrock hat and the OR hat.  I can't tell the difference in warmth.  Both are warmer than they need to be.

Obviously, neither of these will work well with a baseball cap (unless you wear it over the cap).  I have worn mine with eyes and ears, though.

You might also consider  a Merino Wool Balaclava
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't go to crazy with down sleeping hats.  I just spent the last 2 weeks outdoors at the rifle range.  I survived 7 hours a day.  Snowed one day and rained another.   The balaclava doesn't work for me because the moisture from breathing always freezes on the front and the eye opening is hell getting your eye pro to stay in place.   I just run a regular fleece watch cap. I put foam soft ears in and Howard Leight hard ears on the outside because with eye pro on under the cap the hard ears don't seal at well.  In single digit cold my fingers and toes freeze long before my head.  David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top