Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2009 11:42:55 AM EDT
I’m looking for some good MOLLE magazine pouches for a carbine class to attach to my vest I have been looking at the 5.11 from LA poice gear but I’m not sure if I like the  Velcro flap or would it be better to have the bungee strap any suggestions would be great. How many of each rifle and pistol magazine do most of you carry on your vest?
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
what kind of vest are you running right now? how many mags do you think you will normally use (in a non-training environment)––that would be a good start on what to run with in your training regiment

I tend to prefer bungees if possible, esp those that are adjustable up and down for diff length mags; velcro, as i found out, works fine only in the best situations, but when it gets muddy and crap, the velcro stops ''sticking'' as the hooks are clogged

as to how many mags, that imo tends to be situationally dependent––if its an all out  carry load out, at least 10-12 spare rifle mags and 2 or so pistol mags, or if its a light/active shooter pack, it might be 3-6 rifle mags and 2 or so pistol mags in addition to what is on your belt

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with ALPHAGHOST on this one.  I have one of the double mag pouches that came with a 5.11 rifle case with the velcro flap & they would be tough to use with gloves &/or under stress.  They seem to be decently built, but I'd go with the bungee version.  You might have to buy more bungee/shock cord if it's too tight & there isn't enough cord to slack up the tension some & replace the stock stuff, but that’s easy & cheap to do.  The mounting system on the 5.11 pouches is pretty slick.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The VTAC bungee shingles from LAPG are good to go - the short ones are a bit tight for anything but a 20rd mag, so get the tall ones unless you're using short mags.
If you need a dump pouch, the VTAC/5.11 ones are the best I've encountered - right on par with the Maxpedition Polies, but a lot cheaper.  The silkstick attachment is a bit funky, but the pouches themselves are exemplary.

If you're stuck with the velcro-over-top designs, it's not so bad to just tuck the flap in behind the magazines.  Our issue gear is set up like that, but with the flaps tucked in there's adequate retention, but easy access with the addition of a Ranger plate.

I personally run an excessive 9 Rifle and 4 Pistol magazines.  I'm accustomed to SAPIs, but it's still far more than necessary.
On a chest rig, 4-6 Rifle and 2-4 Pistol is a good goal.  Belt rigs, 2-4 Rifle, ditto pistol is a good goal.  Whatever your setup, make sure you're willing to run it the whole day, otherwise you're better off practicing with a lighter kit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
NO MESH - NO VELCRO

http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/005.html

And 90% cheaper at your local surplus store...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top