Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2022 10:21:57 PM EDT
I’m leaving for Texas in September from LaGuardia for our yearly boar hunt.  Usually we drive but this time the crew decided to book flights.  The airline we are flying accepts firearms and TSA gave me the run down regarding the packing and checking in of the rifle, pistol and ammo.  I’m concerned about bringing my AR and pistol into NYC and getting jammed up when the TSA agent checks the AR and Pistol in.  I do not have a NYC permit (I have a westchester full carry) and I know ARs are illegal in NYC.  I called the Port Authority Police and the officer I spoke to said he “believes” and “thinks” that if I follow the TSA rules I will be fine.  Anyone travel with their ARs and or pistols through LaGuardia or Kennedy?  What was your experience?

My AR is NY compliant, pinned 10 round mag.

Haven’t been on a plane for 24 years now so I’m oblivious to the changes in air travel, especially after 9/11.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Any flights from WC County airport?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I don’t have a NYC permit and flew out of JFK a few months ago with my Glock 19.  No issues at all, PAPD was professional.

AR might be interesting since there is a magazine pinned in the rifle(they make a big deal of ensuring everything is unloaded) but overall I don’t think you’ll have a problem.

Pre-SAFE, I flew out of one of the city airports with two Prebans, Night Vision, 30 rounders etc… with no problems.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any flights from WC County airport?
View Quote

There are but nothing direct.  Stewart has none.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it possible to ship them via an FFL to Texas instead?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#6]
@fis223 & 0612devil, that’s what I’m afraid of, the AR creating problems.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Last I saw in NYC law, you could actually spend 24 hours in NYC while travelling through, even with "assault weapons."

So technically legal (last I saw)...
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't go anywhere near a NYC airport with an AR or Handgun, many do not understand the law & its too easy to get jammed up. I would overnight my firearms to myself at my destination.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wouldn't go anywhere near a NYC airport with an AR or Handgun, many do not understand the law & its too easy to get jammed up. I would overnight my firearms to myself at my destination.
View Quote

Normally a better plan but lately UPS has been disappearing firearms and ammunition, damned if you do and potentially arrested if you don't.  Quite a conundrum OP.   Is there any possibility of someone in TX lending you a lower?  You could ship the upper, etc. to yourself without having to identify it as a "firearm" via UPS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it possible to ship them via an FFL to Texas instead?
View Quote
Why would you use an FFL and go through NICS and a 4473? You can legally ship a firearm from yourself to yourself at another address. As long as a transfer to another individual is not taking place you are GTG.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies fellas.  I'm going to go the shipping to myself route before I leave; seems like the safest way.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why would you use an FFL and go through NICS and a 4473? You can legally ship a firearm from yourself to yourself at another address. As long as a transfer to another individual is not taking place you are GTG.
View Quote

I wasn’t aware of that. I guess it would have to go UPS? I thought that an FFL could ship without having to do a 4473. Either way, shipping it does sound like the way to go.
To the OP, please let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wasn't aware of that. I guess it would have to go UPS? I thought that an FFL could ship without having to do a 4473.
View Quote
I believe (someone correct me) that if an FFL takes in a firearm from someone they have to log it in. Otherwise when the ATF drops in for a surprise audit, they ask what the off-book firearm is doing there. Probably some exceptions but with the way ATF is going after every little paperwork issue these days I would be worried if I were an FFL.

As for shipping to yourself, you have to use whatever carrier allows for shipping of a firearm and follow their rules. On the receiving end, someone can receive the package for you but they MAY NOT open it as that would imply a transfer of ownership. They must hold it for you, unopened,.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Depending on the specific agent you get, the process will vary. They don’t exactly train their employees to deal with this. Print and bring a physical copy of the laws, rules, regulation, processes, etc. from tsa, airline, etc websites.  They will likely first say that you can’t fly with them or something stupid.  Show them their own regulations and local laws that you can. Then they will want the key to inspect it in private.  They are not supposed to do that. They need to inspect it in front of you. If they want to go to a private room with you that may be ok.  Make sure the firearm case has a non-tsa lock and only you have control of the key at all times. This will piss of the agent who thinks you are not “respecting his authority”, so it will add a lot of time to your check-in.  It’s 100% legal and they need to learn and practice the process.  Small cases are usually packed in a larger suitcase - padlock on the case, tsa lock on the suitcase. Large rifle cases I always checked on their own.  Sometimes the airline makes you pick these up in a special room, sometimes they go on the conveyor belt.  Durable hard sided case with padlock hole like a Pelican are a must.  Thin metal cases with their own key can easily be dented and pried open.

Eta: it may be a good idea to breakdown your rifle and pack it as 2 pieces in the case.  That would help with showing that it’s not loaded.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I ended up flying out of LaGuardia with my M4, zero issues from the airline agents or the port authority police.  My AR was pinned, as a matter of fact the port authority officer said that ARs were quite common flying out of LGA.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 1:58:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lots of folks have gotten jammed up at lga and jfk without an nyc carry permit, and forget about an ar in any format.

Even if technically legal, it seems to create problems.

View Quote

He has a Westchester permit. The people that get jammed up are people who dont have a NYS permit. People from CT or from NJ go to JFK or LGA or people that miss their connections and have to check in again. Without a NYS permit (from any county, doesnt matter) as soon as the PAPD Cop sees you with a handgun and no NY permit, hes going to arrest you.

As far as the AR, I would break it down into the upper and lower and leave any ammo at home and buy some when you get there, or ship it. If the AR is obviously compliant, it wont be a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top