Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2022 1:17:18 PM EDT
So if one has a concealed carry permit now can they exchange it for a hunting/target (restricted) permit and not have to go through all this stuff? Just the normal on-line recertification?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So if one has a concealed carry permit now can they exchange it for a hunting/target (restricted) permit and not have to go through all this stuff? Just the normal on-line recertification?
View Quote

I think you mean the other way around? If you have a hunting / target permit you can now get a full concealed carry permit.

It's all unknown. Who knows some counties may make you go through all the new requirements to get your restrictions removed...

But in my opinion that's not right.

You were issued a full carry permit, that was restricted administratively because you couldn't demonstrate sufficient proper cause...

Proper cause was deemed unconstitutional.

So your restrictions were placed on your permit based on an unconstitutional standard.

I'm no lawyer but it sounds like restrictions are just gone to me...
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I am understanding your question correctly, I would say no.  The new requirements (training, live fire, frequency of re-certifying, etc.) will apply to everyone whether their license has restrictions or not.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I called the NYS gun hot line. The hunting and target is a restricted form of concealed carry. So if you have a concealed carry or hunting/target permit you have to go trough the training and the 3 year recertification process. I found that one could get an amendment to the concealed carry and get a premises permit that one could have a hand gun at home and target practice but would still have to re-certify every 3 years but no special course. The premises permit would be OK for a target shooter and collector. It is a way to keep your guns but give up your carry rights.

1-855-LAW-GUNS  (1-855-529-4867)
Questions? New Yorkers should call 1-855-LAW-GUNS for SAFE Act questions or assistance with form submissions.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I called the NYS gun hot line. The hunting and target is a restricted form of concealed carry. So if you have a concealed carry or hunting/target permit you have to go trough the training and the 3 year recertification process. I found that one could get an amendment to the concealed carry and get a premises permit that one could have a hand gun at home and target practice but would still have to re-certify every 3 years but no special course. The premises permit would be OK for a target shooter and collector. It is a way to keep your guns but give up your carry rights.

Questions? New Yorkers should call 1-855-LAW-GUNS for SAFE Act questions or assistance with form submissions.
View Quote

Sounds to me like they're just making shit up as they go along.  None of that makes any sense.  Better off asking a magic 8 ball.

Oh, and fuck all that.  /Steve Buscemi
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
With all those "NO CCW areas (parks, gubmint bldgs, etc.) I am not doing anything until my renewal comes around in a couple of years.   I survived 20 years of working alone and unarmed in all the city housing projects
and really have no need for CCW for what, Walmart or BJs in Farmingdale (Lawnguyland?)
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

CC is why I got a permit in the first place.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
With all those "NO CCW areas (parks, gubmint bldgs, etc.) I am not doing anything until my renewal comes around in a couple of years.   I survived 20 years of working alone and unarmed in all the city housing projects
and really have no need for CCW for what, Walmart or BJs in Farmingdale (Lawnguyland?)
View Quote
Never knew rights were based on "needs".    

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I moved from NY 4 years ago and was thinking about moving back so I was looking at the new laws. I can not get a premises permit because I do not own a property there and I am not sure if I could even go to shooting range with that permit. I do not feel like getting rid of my stuff so it looks like going back to NY is out. Plus property taxes on a decent home are out of the question.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I am starting to remember some of the things that encouraged me to leave to begin with.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am starting to remember some of the things that encouraged me to leave to begin with.
View Quote

It's like finding the milk in the fridge has gone sour and instead of pouring it in the sink, you come back every few days and see if it's now good.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's like finding the milk in the fridge has gone sour and instead of pouring it in the sink, you come back every few days and see if it's now good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can not think of anything that could get me moved back to New York period.

I say this with total honesty, someone could offer me a million dollar a year job with the stipulation I had to live in NY, and my answer would be no without even a blink
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I do not think I will move back at this point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top