Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2022 9:01:35 AM EDT
Just to be on the save side? Not due till October but will NYS kick in the new requirements starting Sept. 1 for sure?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I did mine in July to buy more time to recertify in the future.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I know people that have never done it. And never heard anything. In mexico of course.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I did mine today.  I don't think the counties are talking to the state at all.  I had a corrected serial number and some new pistols that are on my permit but the state doesn't have record of them.  I suspect it is just a something to catch you when you screw up.  The computer system is garbage and looks like it was written by a high school kid and that is an insult to high school kids. Probably written by some company owned by Cuomo's cousin.

It did make me realize I haven't put a few new pistols on my wife's permit yet.  Need to get to that.  Wish we didn't have to do this crap at all.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just to be on the save side? Not due till October but will NYS kick in the new requirements starting Sept. 1 for sure?
View Quote

If they do, you will still have to go through the new requirements. It doesn't matter when you recertify, It's the when the license was issued. You will still have to go through the new requirements by September 1 2023.

"For licenses issued prior to the effective date of this paragraph that were issued more than three years prior to such date, or will expire in less than one year from such date shall be recertified or renewed within one year of such date."
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did mine in July to buy more time to re certify in the future.
View Quote

Same here.

Unless I'm mistaken (and this IS New York) IF you do not re-certify your Handgun Licenses it becomes Void and any Handguns you have in your possession are now illegal, and if the State Revokes said Licenses then ALL you're guns are to be collected up by Law Enforcement Agencies.

Bottom line: If you don't comply, you loose all your Guns.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If they do, you will still have to go through the new requirements. It doesn't matter when you recertify, It's the when the license was issued. You will still have to go through the new requirements by September 1 2023.

"For licenses issued prior to the effective date of this paragraph that were issued more than three years prior to such date, or will expire in less than one year from such date shall be recertified or renewed within one year of such date."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's Sept 2023 not this Sept. Got time then.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So it's Sept 2023 not this Sept. Got time then.
View Quote
Current permit holders only have to take the safety course and qualify correct? Or will they have to have an in person interview and all the other new things needed? Read like just the safety course at renewal but was confusing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Current permit holders only have to take the safety course and qualify correct?
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Correct.
View Quote

Logistically impossible. There aren’t enough ranges and instructors to handle the demand of what, a million people needing to take the course and qualify in a year? And it will be less than a year because it will probably take them until At least January 2023 to develop the course and standards for the live fire.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Logistically impossible. There aren’t enough ranges and instructors to handle the demand of what, a million people needing to take the course and qualify in a year? And it will be less than a year because it will probably take them until At least January 2023 to develop the course and standards for the live fire.
View Quote

I was speaking with a trainer client of the office on Monday and he indicated that the State Police are supposed to have the training course requirement available next month.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

As of August 2021, about 196,000 out of a population of about 20 million. About 1% of the population. They haven't even decided who is qualified to be instructors yet. They did decide you need to get 80% or better on a written test they haven't created yet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As of August 2021, about 196,000 out of a population of about 20 million. About 1% of the population. They haven't even decided who is qualified to be instructors yet. They did decide you need to get 80% or better on a written test they haven't created yet.
View Quote

196,000 sounds very, very low. I thought there were 1.4 million names in the pistol permit database.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I thought there were 1.4 million names in the pistol permit database.
View Quote

Probably, considering the database was never purged since its creation and still included people like Eleanor Roosevelt who died in 1962.

Edit: I just checked the "new" database (from 2010) 312,463 names listed.

"old" database (also from 2010) which includes the above-mentioned Eleanor Roosevelt, 898,575 names

https://sites.google.com/site/nymasterpistoldb/

Concealed Coalition puts the number at the 196,000 figure.

https://my.concealedcoalition.com/reciprocity-maps/new-york-concealed-carry/
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
NYS cant void your license, it was issued by the County which you reside.
NYS police can only provide information to the County... do you really think the Counties are prepared to nullify permits?

My father who is elderly hadn't renewed his permit twice (required in his locale) recently transferred them to my license.

He had these in his possession for years mind you, nobody came looking.

Current Recertification. FAQ

Q: What happens if a permit holder does not recertify before the deadline?

A: According to the statute, failure to recertify shall act as a revocation of the permit. At the same time, until we have had an opportunity to process every submission, we will be unable to confirm who has not recertified and will be unable to transmit that information to the local licensing authorities.

We do not set policy for local law enforcement, but can confirm that the State Police will not take criminal enforcement action against individuals who have unknowingly failed to recertify.

Q: Will permit holders’ guns be confiscated if they can’t prove they recertified?

A: To be clear, the State Police will not be confiscating weapons from those permit holders who fail to recertify by January 31st. This provision was never intended to be a “Gotcha” for pistol permit holders.

It was included in the law that was passed by the legislature and signed by the Governor in order to update the accuracy of both state and local records. To that end, the State Police will continue to accept recertifications and continue to update the database.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Logistically impossible. There aren't enough ranges and instructors to handle the demand of what, a million people needing to take the course and qualify in a year? And it will be less than a year because it will probably take them until At least January 2023 to develop the course and standards for the live fire.
View Quote
That's what I was thinking about. Couldn't imagine everyone already holding a permit getting the training and range time in less than year let alone also have to interview with someone, go through their social media and everything else. On top of that all the new permit applications being submitted.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Update: I re certed today, just to be on the safe side.  https://troopers.ny.gov/Firearms/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top