Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2022 3:22:01 PM EDT
Totally new one on me today - was told by a large online retailer that they could not ship me (my FFL) a common handgun because it was "on NY's banned list" because the melting temperature of the receiver was below 800 degrees.  They also yelled at me a bit for placing an illegal order, and when I told them to send the damn thing anyway kept reiterating that I was going to pay all sorts of restocking fees.

I said, "I'm sorry, but I think you have us confused with California or some other state" whereupon they insisted that I was doing something illegal and while they 'appreciated' my comments, I was most certainly wrong.

I also ordered a handgun with 17rd mags, assuming the FFL would just keep them because the 10 round package was listed as out of stock.  To my surprise, the online retailer offered to take the mags out before sending, when I asked if that would result in a discount, they said "we don't give discounts because you placed an illegal order."  They then determined that they in fact had the 10rd package in stock, swapped it out and price matched it (it was more expensive for some reason).

What a cluster.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
New to me too. Like a Saturday night special kind of law?

What handgun is this that falls into this low melting point category?
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer my LGSs for reasons like this.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Hi Point?  Pretty sure they use zinc (pot metal) frames.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, Saturday Night Special Law - very 1997 of them.  I do believe this was considered in a few states, including NY, and a handful have or had laws, but I don't believe NY ever did?

Gun was a Walther PPK
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I prefer my LGSs for reasons like this.
View Quote
If they ever had anything popular in stock, I would shop there...if I want something, I usually go and put a deposit down to get the next one that comes in, and if it doesn't happen in 2-3 months, then I have to go somewhere else.  I'm not waiting forever.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#6]
What dealer was this so I can avoid them?  

I’m tired of dealing with idiots who think they know more than someone who lives here.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What dealer was this so I can avoid them?  

I'm tired of dealing with idiots who think they know more than someone who lives here.
View Quote
Impact
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
There might be more but the only state I know for sure that has a melting point law is Hawaii
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
3D printers are really gonna blow their minds
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
NY has a melting point law but it seems to only apply to guns manufactured in state.
I would think that's a moot point because they've run them all out.

Section 482.5 - Specifications as to materials and parts in the manufacturing or assembling of firearms

All firearms manufactured or assembled pursuant to this Part shall meet the following material and parts specifications:
(a) Basic structural component. A basic structural component shall not be made of any material having a melting point (liquids) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, and any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, and no less than eight percent minimum elongation in accordance with standardized metallurgical testing procedures.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NY has a melting point law but it seems to only apply to guns manufactured in state.
I would think that's a moot point because they've run them all out.

Section 482.5 - Specifications as to materials and parts in the manufacturing or assembling of firearms

All firearms manufactured or assembled pursuant to this Part shall meet the following material and parts specifications:
(a) Basic structural component. A basic structural component shall not be made of any material having a melting point (liquids) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, and any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, and no less than eight percent minimum elongation in accordance with standardized metallurgical testing procedures.

View Quote
Well slap my tits and call me Shirley
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd guess a data entry error in the restrictions data that will remain gospel forever.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#13]
You should have said fine and then asked if they had any carbon 15s in stock
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd guess a data entry error in the restrictions data that will remain gospel forever.
View Quote
Not that different from vendors imposing New York City rules on the entire state:

Vendor: "Sorry, we cannot ship that to you because it is banned in New York"
Buyer: "Umm, that is banned New York City, not (insert name of upstate community)"
Vendor: "New York is New York. Sorry."

Of course with New York City pretty much dictating state laws these days, the difference is blurred.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, Saturday Night Special Law - very 1997 of them.  I do believe this was considered in a few states, including NY, and a handful have or had laws, but I don't believe NY ever did?

Gun was a Walther PPK
View Quote

Blued or Stainless
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Blued or Stainless
View Quote
In new production .380, I've only seen stainless recently available, so, stainless.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In new production .380, I've only seen stainless recently available, so, stainless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blued or Stainless
Kewl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top