Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2022 11:29:46 AM EDT
New bill A-10503/S-9458, Relates to the purchase or taking possession of a semiautomatic rifle; requires a license to purchase or take possession of a semiautomatic rifle; establishes the crimes of criminal purchase of a semiautomatic rifle and criminal sale of a semiautomatic rifle; requires recertification of licenses to purchase or take possession of a semiautomatic rifle every five years, introduced to Assembly and Senate Codes.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Our only hope is for the SCOTUS ruling to halt these in their tracks...otherwise we are done for good.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I think this is the line in the sand for me. I wanted to bail 30 years ago but family and work precluded it.
No way I can replicate what I have in NYS in PA but this package is insane, not that everything that proceeded it wasn't.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]
So a Remington 7400 deer rifle in 30/06 that theoretically was owned since 1984 is now outlawed?  We are living in bizarro world!
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't the session end June 2nd?  Should we be looking for a MON in the next day and then votes?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Screw that. Now they'll know what firearms one owns?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't the session end June 2nd?  Should we be looking for a MON in the next day and then votes?
View Quote

Looks like a vote planned for thursday
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck this fucking state. They will stop at nothing to ruin the economy and take away as many rights as possible until we have nothing left.

Time to move and take my income with me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]
It says purchase or take possession so everything we currently have is automatically grandfathered.(for now)

No exemption for rimfire.

Does not apply to shotguns.

Sounds like an extension of the pistol license but not clear.
Will be amendment for each gun like pistols.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Banning semi autos has been pushed by some gun hating Boston area doctor(s).

That'll stick it to a bunch of Duck and Deer Democrats and Fudds. Course they get permits for Benellis

It's part of the pistol permit law to get a semi auto license. How does that pass constitutional muster ?
View Quote

@Aimless

I've seen some of our politicians calling for a special legislative session in response to the Supreme Court ruling. There's some who said they will appeal the ruling or openly defy the Supreme Court. I have no idea what they mean by that.

I'm bringing up the Supreme Court decision since they might want to use the Pistol Permit system or something like it for semi-automatic rifles.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no definition other than "semiautomatic rifle"

So you can buy a 12g 1100 without a license but not a 10/22

Maybe our stalwart Rs can get "centerfire" added
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Aimless

I've seen some of our politicians calling for a special legislative session in response to the Supreme Court ruling. There's some who said they will appeal the ruling or openly defy the Supreme Court. I have no idea what they mean by that.

I'm bringing up the Supreme Court decision since they might want to use the Pistol Permit system or something like it for semi-automatic rifles.
View Quote

If you read the bill, it actually just inserts "semi auto rifle" into the types of "firearm" licenses in PL400, which is the pistol license / Sullivan law section.

So it will be a shiny new pistol permit type license we will all need if we want to buy a neutered M1 carbine or standard M1 Garand or Fudd semi auto hunting rifle or even a fixed mag AR.

Microstamping is a ban on all new handguns. No manufacturer has any models or will be able to afford to retool all their models to comply. Maybe we will be able to buy 1 or 2 models of handguns in NY moving forward. Nothing else.

And no more Other ARs...soon no more goofy stock or safe act neutered ARs either I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no might.
The bill text is inserting semi automatic rifle into the pistol license law

The way I read it is it would be shall issue for rifles, may issue on cause for concealed carry
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is no might.
The bill text is inserting semi automatic rifle into the pistol license law

The way I read it is it would be shall issue for rifles, may issue on cause for concealed carry
View Quote

I mean...currently you pass a background check to buy a gun...how will jumping through hoops to get this new license do anything more than a background check would do?

Same can be said for the pistol permit system...what does the expensive 1 year pistol permit application process do that an instant NICS check doesn't?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you read the bill, it actually just inserts "semi auto rifle" into the types of "firearm" licenses in PL400, which is the pistol license / Sullivan law section.

So it will be a shiny new pistol permit type license we will all need if we want to buy a neutered M1 carbine or standard M1 Garand or Fudd semi auto hunting rifle or even a fixed mag AR.

Microstamping is a ban on all new handguns. No manufacturer has any models or will be able to afford to retool all their models to comply. Maybe we will be able to buy 1 or 2 models of handguns in NY moving forward. Nothing else.

And no more Other ARs...soon no more goofy stock or safe act neutered ARs either I'm sure.
View Quote

Our politicians are going for the whole package of stupidity at this point. The part in bold is really concerning, from what I've heard the Supreme Court has mag ban cases and assault weapons cases on hold pending the current case and there's lower court cases ongoing over the 18-21 purchase ban that some states passed. To my knowledge I don't think there is a current case ongoing over microstamping so who knows how long that will take to get through the courts, I may be wrong though.

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

fwiw - the microstamping legislation is specific to semiauto pistols
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#18]
On the news this morning it was reported that baby killer Hochol up wants to ram this through by Thursday.

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't believe we're going to have to get pistol permit type licenses and amendments for every semi-auto rifle... M1 garands...sks... Everything.

This is basically the end for true gun ownership in New York.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Fuck this fucking state. They will stop at nothing to ruin the economy and take away as many rights as possible until we have nothing left.

Time to move and take my income with me.
View Quote

Pretty late to the party on this aren’t you?

I bugged out 7 years ago, and should have done it sooner.

Lots of opportunities in free states, but real estate market as it is currently means expect to spend a good chunk of change for a new home.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Wouldn't be surprised they make it harder to get a license and tie it to the unSAFE act. Get denied for semi long gun licensed, lose them all. Kinda like all guns must be turned in if pistol license was revoked.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#22]
So pistol permit type crap to purchase a semi auto rifle? What about previously owned semi autos?
What about Registered NYS assault rifles?
I know it's a long long shot but lets hope Justice Thomas Opinion on NY's permitting system Slaps the NY commies, especially the wicked witch of the west lookalike govenor right across the face!
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There's some who said they will appeal the ruling or openly defy the Supreme Court. I have no idea what they mean by that.
View Quote
I suspect the state is finally figuring out that if you have a friendly federal administration in place, you can openly defy the Supreme Court with no consequences. It would be up to DOJ to go after New York and Garland is not going to do that. We mere "citizens" do not have the financial resources to mount a futile never ending challenge to try and get New York to comply. Plus, when SCOTUS eventually flips to the left, it could all be thrown out the window. I give the MacDonald ruling about 10 years of life at this point assuming changes in the makeup of the court.

It's funny that this past weekend, before this nonsense gun control package was announced, I started having very strong feelings to get out over things that kind of came together this weekend. The first issue started last fall when my next door neighbors practically doubled the size of their home and I spent months living next to a construction zone. There is now a huge house there that blocks the morning sun and their two AC units are near my bedroom window Next a town beach I have been going to for years that is rather secluded and off the beaten path seems to be undergoing major development to make it more built up and bring in more people. No longer this nice quiet beach to go to it appears. I think they are putting in a restaurant which will make the place miserable for just sitting on the beach and relaxing with the noise it will bring in. Then there is an old Nike missile site I like to go to that has been a nature park and preserve for many years. Just found out the village that it is in is putting the headquarters of their newly formed police department there. No longer a quiet place to retreat to. And behind this nature park is a beautiful golf course with trees and ponds. It has been sold and will be subdivided for expensive multi-million dollar homes

Within the next two years it seems the urbanization of my area is going through the roof. Throw in these new laws and New York is done for me. I turn 60 soon and need to get serious about my future location.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Question….

So you have to get a license for existing rifles or is this new guns moving forward?

Lol fucking NY.

Also does the ban on “others” make lowers illegal?
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Question….

So you have to get a license for existing rifles or is this new guns moving forward?

Lol fucking NY.

View Quote

Only moving forward...for now.

No, lowers aren't illegal. Only if you configure it with banned features is it illegal.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Is a stripped lower a SA rifle?

Is a complete lower a SA rifle?

Is a straight pull AR technically a SA rifle because the lower is?

Is a normal upper a SA rifle?
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, lowers aren't illegal. Only if you configure it with banned features is it illegal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question….

Lol fucking NY.

Ok, I thought I saw something about moving to ban “others”. Aren’t stripped lowers considered others ?
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ok, I thought I saw something about moving to ban “others”. Aren’t stripped lowers considered others ?
View Quote

You did. In a separate bill.
I think that's two different contexts for the word other.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#29]
There should be a huuuge loophole for ARs.

Buy lower - not definitively SA, no license required
Buy upper - not a firearm at all, no license required
Assemble
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#30]
The federal definition of something that's not a rifle or a pistol is an "other"

This bill doesn't ban "others" as a whole - it just adds "others" to the definition of weapons that are defined in NY law, so they can be covered by the AWB laws.

So an other / stripped lower is legal...but if you add banned features it's not.

I think.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah don't advertise that. Maybe delete it.

But it'll still cover Garands, Carbines, and lots of other fun semi autos. Even 100 year old guns. Really crappy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

But it'll still cover Garands, Carbines, and lots of other fun semi autos. Even 100 year old guns. Really crappy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much for the SCR / mini 14 / SKS crowd
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So a Remington 7400 deer rifle in 30/06 that theoretically was owned since 1984 is now outlawed?  We are living in bizarro world!
View Quote

Not only that, but now it's "registered" al-la Safe Act II
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not only that, but now it's "registered" al-la Safe Act II
View Quote

This bill has no impact on anything currently owned.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody's going to buy anything like those anymore when they find out they have to wait a year and go through the pistol permit process. And criminals will just go the black market or illegal route anyway... Like they always have.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

No shit...  I am an SKS guy.  I have two and am debating ordering another one very soon.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
New bill A-10503/S-9458, Relates to the purchase or taking possession of a semiautomatic rifle; requires a license to purchase or take possession of a semiautomatic rifle; establishes the crimes of criminal purchase of a semiautomatic rifle and criminal sale of a semiautomatic rifle; requires recertification of licenses to purchase or take possession of a semiautomatic rifle every five years, introduced to Assembly and Senate Codes.
View Quote

Sent you a message/ question.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think this is the line in the sand for me. I wanted to bail 30 years ago but family and work precluded it.
No way I can replicate what I have in NYS in PA but this package is insane, not that everything that precluded it wasn't.
View Quote

You and me both. I've been building my own business for 16 years here. I won't be able to take it with Mr, but my girlfriend amd I decided we are going to south carolina so I'm starting from scratch. Better than facing prison here
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#39]
  §  8.  This  act shall take effect on the ninetieth day after it shall
have become a law and shall apply only  to  purchases  or  transfers  of
ownership made on or after such effective date.

A10503 (ACTIVE) - DETAILS
See Senate Version of this Bill:S9458Law Section:Penal LawLaws Affected:Amd §§400.00, 400.01, 265.00 & 265.10, add §§265.65 & 265.66, Pen L
A10503 (ACTIVE) - SUMMARY
Relates to the purchase or taking possession of a semiautomatic rifle; requires a license to purchase or take possession of a semiautomatic rifle; establishes the crimes of criminal purchase of a semiautomatic rifle and criminal sale of a semiautomatic rifle; requires recertification of licenses to purchase or take possession of a semiautomatic rifle every five years.

A10503 (ACTIVE) - BILL TEXT
DOWNLOAD PDF

S T A T E   O F   N E W   Y O R K

I N  A S S E M B L Y

May 30, 2022

Introduced  by COMMITTEE ON RULES -- (at request of M. of A. Jackson) --
  read once and referred to the Committee on Codes

AN ACT to amend the penal law, in relation to  the  purchase  or  taking
  possession of a semiautomatic rifle

THE  PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM-
BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

Section 1. Subdivisions 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 14 of section  400.00  of
the  penal  law,  subdivisions  2 and 8 as amended by chapter 189 of the
laws of 2000, paragraph (a)  of  subdivision  3  and  subdivision  9  as
amended by chapter 1 of the laws of 2013, paragraph (b) of subdivision 3
as added by chapter 778 of the laws of 1985, subdivision 6 as amended by
chapter  104 of the laws of 2019, and subdivision 14 as amended by chap-
ter 195 of the laws of 2005, are amended to read as follows:
  2. Types of licenses. A license for gunsmith  or  dealer  in  firearms
shall  be  issued to engage in such business.  A LICENSE FOR A SEMIAUTO-
MATIC RIFLE, OTHER THAN AN ASSAULT WEAPON OR  DISGUISED  GUN,  SHALL  BE
ISSUED TO PURCHASE OR TAKE POSSESSION OF SUCH A FIREARM WHEN SUCH TRANS-
FER OF OWNERSHIP OCCURS ON OR AFTER THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE CHAPTER OF
THE  LAWS  OF  TWO  THOUSAND TWENTY-TWO THAT AMENDED THIS SUBDIVISION. A
license for a pistol or revolver, other than  an  assault  weapon  or  a
disguised  gun,  shall be issued to (a) have and possess in his dwelling
by a householder; (b) have and possess in his place  of  business  by  a
merchant  or storekeeper; (c) have and carry concealed while so employed
by a messenger employed by a banking institution or express company; (d)
have and carry concealed by a justice of the supreme court in the  first
or second judicial departments, or by a judge of the New York city civil
court  or the New York city criminal court; (e) have and carry concealed
while so employed by a regular employee of an institution of the  state,
or of any county, city, town or village, under control of a commissioner
of  correction  of the city or any warden, superintendent or head keeper
of any state prison,  penitentiary,  workhouse,  county  jail  or  other
institution  for  the detention of persons convicted or accused of crime
or held as witnesses in criminal cases,  provided  that  application  is
made therefor by such commissioner, warden, superintendent or head keep-

EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets
                      [ ] is old law to be omitted.
                                                           LBD16020-02-2
A. 10503                            2

er;  (f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place
of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for  the  issuance
thereof;  and (g) have, possess, collect and carry antique pistols which
are  defined as follows: (i) any single shot, muzzle loading pistol with
a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap,  or  similar  type  of  ignition
system  manufactured  in or before l898, which is not designed for using
rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; and (ii) any repli-
ca of any pistol described in clause (i) hereof if such replica--
  (1) is not designed or redesigned for using  rimfire  or  conventional
centerfire fixed ammunition, or
  (2)  uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is
no longer manufactured in the United States and  which  is  not  readily
available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
  3.  Applications.  (a)  Applications shall be made and renewed, in the
case of a license to carry  or  possess  a  pistol  or  revolver  OR  TO
PURCHASE  OR  TAKE POSSESSION OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE, to the licensing
officer in the city or county, as the case may be, where  the  applicant
resides,  is  principally  employed or has his or her principal place of
business as merchant or storekeeper; and, in the case of  a  license  as
gunsmith  or  dealer  in  firearms,  to the licensing officer where such
place of business is located. Blank applications shall,  except  in  the
city  of New York, be approved as to form by the superintendent of state
police. An application shall state the full name, date of  birth,  resi-
dence, present occupation of each person or individual signing the same,
whether  or  not he or she is a citizen of the United States, whether or
not he or she complies with each requirement for  eligibility  specified
in  subdivision  one  of  this  section  and  such other facts as may be
required to show the good character, competency and  integrity  of  each
person  or  individual  signing the application. An application shall be
signed and verified by the applicant. Each individual signing an  appli-
cation shall submit one photograph of himself or herself and a duplicate
for  each  required copy of the application. Such photographs shall have
been taken within thirty days prior to filing the application.  In  case
of  a license as gunsmith or dealer in firearms, the photographs submit-
ted shall be two inches square, and the application shall also state the
previous occupation of each individual signing the same and the location
of the place of such business, or  of  the  bureau,  agency,  subagency,
office  or branch office for which the license is sought, specifying the
name of the city, town or village, indicating the street and number  and
otherwise  giving  such  apt  description as to point out reasonably the
location thereof. In such case, if the applicant is a firm,  partnership
or  corporation,  its  name,  date and place of formation, and principal
place of business shall be stated. For such  firm  or  partnership,  the
application shall be signed and verified by each individual composing or
intending to compose the same, and for such corporation, by each officer
thereof.
  (b)  Application  for an exemption under paragraph seven-b of subdivi-
sion a of section 265.20 of this chapter.  Each  applicant  desiring  to
obtain  the exemption set forth in paragraph seven-b of subdivision a of
section 265.20 of this chapter shall make such request in writing of the
licensing officer with whom his application for a license is  filed,  at
the time of filing such application. Such request shall include a signed
and  verified  statement by the person authorized to instruct and super-
vise the applicant, that has met with the  applicant  and  that  he  has
determined  that,  in his judgment, said applicant does not appear to be
or poses a threat to be, a danger to himself  or  to  others.  He  shall
A. 10503                            3

include  a copy of his certificate as an instructor in small arms, if he
is required to be certified, and state his address and telephone number.
He shall specify the exact  location  by  name,  address  and  telephone
number  where  such  instruction will take place. Such licensing officer
shall, no later than ten business days after such  filing,  request  the
duly  constituted police authorities of the locality where such applica-
tion is made to investigate and ascertain any previous  criminal  record
of  the  applicant  pursuant  to subdivision four of this section.  Upon
completion of this investigation, the police authority shall report  the
results  to the licensing officer without unnecessary delay. The licens-
ing officer shall no later than ten business days after the  receipt  of
such  investigation,  determine  if  the  applicant  has been previously
denied a license, been convicted of a felony, or  been  convicted  of  a
serious  offense,  and  either  approve  or disapprove the applicant for
exemption purposes based upon such determinations. If the  applicant  is
approved  for  the  exemption,  the  licensing  officer shall notify the
appropriate duly constituted police authorities and the applicant.  Such
exemption  shall terminate if the application for the license is denied,
or at any earlier time  based  upon  any  information  obtained  by  the
licensing  officer  or  the  appropriate  police authorities which would
cause the license to be denied. The  applicant  and  appropriate  police
authorities shall be notified of any such terminations.
  6.  License:  validity.  Any  license  issued pursuant to this section
shall be valid notwithstanding the provisions of any local law or  ordi-
nance.    No  license shall be transferable to any other person or prem-
ises. A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, OR TO PURCHASE
OR TAKE POSSESSION OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE, not otherwise limited as to
place or time of possession, shall be effective  throughout  the  state,
except  that  the  same  shall  not be valid within the city of New York
unless a special permit  granting  validity  is  issued  by  the  police
commissioner  of  that  city.  Such license to carry or possess shall be
valid within the city of New York in the absence of a permit  issued  by
the  police  commissioner  of  that city, provided that (a) the firearms
covered by such license have been purchased from a licensed dealer with-
in the city of New York and are  being  transported  out  of  said  city
forthwith  and  immediately from said dealer by the licensee in a locked
container during a continuous and uninterrupted trip; or  provided  that
(b)  the  firearms  covered by such license are being transported by the
licensee in a locked container and the trip through the city of New York
is continuous and uninterrupted;  or  provided  that  (c)  the  firearms
covered  by  such  license  are  carried  by armored car security guards
transporting money or other valuables, in, to, or  from  motor  vehicles
commonly  known  as armored cars, during the course of their employment;
or provided that (d) the licensee is a retired police officer as  police
officer  is  defined pursuant to subdivision thirty-four of section 1.20
of the criminal procedure law or a retired federal law enforcement offi-
cer, as defined in section 2.15 of the criminal procedure law,  who  has
been  issued  a license by an authorized licensing officer as defined in
subdivision ten of section 265.00 of this  chapter;  provided,  further,
however,  that if such license was not issued in the city of New York it
must be marked "Retired Police Officer" or "Retired Federal Law Enforce-
ment Officer", as the case may be, and, in the case of a retired officer
the license shall be  deemed  to  permit  only  police  or  federal  law
enforcement  regulations weapons; or provided that (e) the licensee is a
peace officer described in subdivision four of section 2.10 of the crim-
inal procedure law and the license, if issued by other than the city  of
A. 10503                            4

New York, is marked "New York State Tax Department Peace Officer" and in
such  case  the exemption shall apply only to the firearm issued to such
licensee by the  department  of  taxation  and  finance.  A  license  as
gunsmith  or  dealer  in firearms shall not be valid outside the city or
county, as the case may be, where issued. Notwithstanding any inconsist-
ent provision of state or local law or rule or regulation, the  premises
limitation  set  forth  in  any  license to have and possess a pistol or
revolver in the licensee's dwelling or place  of  business  pursuant  to
paragraph  (a)  or  (b)  of  subdivision  two  of this section shall not
prevent the transport of such pistol or revolver directly to or from (i)
another dwelling or place of business of the licensee where the licensee
is authorized to have and possess  such  pistol  or  revolver,  (ii)  an
indoor or outdoor shooting range that is authorized by law to operate as
such,  (iii)  a  shooting  competition at which the licensee may possess
such pistol or revolver consistent with the provisions of subdivision  a
of  section 265.20 of this chapter or consistent with the law applicable
at the place of such competition, or (iv) any other location  where  the
licensee  is  lawfully  authorized  to  have  and possess such pistol or
revolver; provided however, that during such  transport  to  or  from  a
location  specified  in  clauses (i) through (iv) of this paragraph, the
pistol or revolver shall be unloaded and carried in a locked  container,
and  the  ammunition  therefor  shall  be  carried  separately; provided
further, however, that a license to have and possess a pistol or  revol-
ver  in  the  licensee's dwelling or place of business pursuant to para-
graph (a) or (b) of subdivision two of this section that is issued by  a
licensing  officer other than the police commissioner of the city of New
York shall not authorize transport of a pistol or revolver into the city
of New York in the absence of written authorization  to  do  so  by  the
police  commissioner of that city. The term "locked container" shall not
include the glove compartment or console of a vehicle.
  7. License: form. Any license issued pursuant to this  section  shall,
except  in  the  city  of New York, be approved as to form by the super-
intendent of state police. A license to carry or  possess  a  pistol  or
revolver  OR  TO  PURCHASE  OR  TAKE POSSESSION OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE
shall have attached the licensee's photograph, and a coupon which  shall
be  removed  and  retained  by  any person disposing of a firearm to the
licensee. [Such] A license TO CARRY OR  POSSESS  A  PISTOL  OR  REVOLVER
shall specify the weapon covered by calibre, make, model, manufacturer's
name  and  serial number, or if none, by any other distinguishing number
or identification mark, and shall indicate whether issued  to  carry  on
the person or possess on the premises, and if on the premises shall also
specify  the  place  where  the licensee shall possess the same. If such
license is issued to an alien, or to a  person  not  a  citizen  of  and
usually  a  resident  in the state, the licensing officer shall state in
the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of  the
persons  certifying  to the good character of the applicant. Any license
as gunsmith or dealer in firearms shall mention and describe  the  prem-
ises for which it is issued and shall be valid only for such premises.
  8.  License:  exhibition  and display. Every licensee while carrying a
pistol or revolver shall have on his or her person a  license  to  carry
the  same.  Every  person  licensed  to  possess a pistol or revolver on
particular premises shall have the license for the same  on  such  prem-
ises.  EVERY PERSON LICENSED TO PURCHASE OR TAKE POSSESSION OF A SEMIAU-
TOMATIC  RIFLE  SHALL HAVE THE LICENSE FOR THE SAME ON HIS OR HER PERSON
WHILE PURCHASING OR TAKING POSSESSION OF SUCH WEAPON. Upon  demand,  the
license  shall  be exhibited for inspection to any peace officer, who is
A. 10503                            5

acting pursuant to his or her  special  duties,  or  police  officer.  A
license as gunsmith or dealer in firearms shall be prominently displayed
on  the  licensed premises. A gunsmith or dealer of firearms may conduct
business  temporarily at a location other than the location specified on
the license if such temporary location is the location for a gun show or
event sponsored by any national, state, or local  organization,  or  any
affiliate  of  any  such organization devoted to the collection, compet-
itive use or other sporting use of firearms. Any sale or transfer  at  a
gun  show must also comply with the provisions of article thirty-nine-DD
of the general business law.  Records  of  receipt  and  disposition  of
firearms transactions conducted at such temporary location shall include
the  location  of  the sale or other disposition and shall be entered in
the permanent records of the gunsmith or dealer of firearms and retained
on the location specified on the license. Nothing in this section  shall
authorize  any  licensee to conduct business from any motorized or towed
vehicle. A separate fee shall not be required of a licensee with respect
to business conducted under this subdivision.  Any inspection  or  exam-
ination  of  inventory  or  records under this section at such temporary
location shall be limited to inventory consisting of, or records related
to, firearms held or disposed at such temporary  locations.  Failure  of
any  licensee  to  so exhibit or display his or her license, as the case
may be, shall be presumptive  evidence  that  he  or  she  is  not  duly
licensed.
  9.  License:  amendment.  Elsewhere  than  in  the city of New York, a
person licensed to carry or possess a pistol or revolver OR TO  PURCHASE
OR TAKE POSSESSION OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE may apply at any time to his
or  her licensing officer for amendment of his or her license to include
one or more such weapons or to cancel weapons  held  under  license.  If
granted, a record of the amendment describing the weapons involved shall
be  filed by the licensing officer in the executive department, division
of state police, Albany. The superintendent of state police may  author-
ize that such amendment be completed and transmitted to the state police
in  electronic  form.   Notification of any change of residence shall be
made in writing by any  licensee  within  ten  days  after  such  change
occurs,  and a record of such change shall be inscribed by such licensee
on the reverse side of his or her license. Elsewhere than in the city of
New York, and in the counties of Nassau and Suffolk,  such  notification
shall  be  made  to  the executive department, division of state police,
Albany, and in the city of New York to the police commissioner  of  that
city,  and  in  the  county of Nassau to the police commissioner of that
county, and in the county of Suffolk to the licensing  officer  of  that
county,  who  shall,  within  ten  days after such notification shall be
received by him or her, give notice in writing of  such  change  to  the
executive department, division of state police, at Albany.
  14. Fees. In the city of New York and the county of Nassau, the annual
license fee shall be twenty-five dollars for gunsmiths and fifty dollars
for dealers in firearms. In such city, the city council and in the coun-
ty  of  Nassau  the Board of Supervisors shall fix the fee to be charged
for a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver OR TO PURCHASE OR
TAKE POSSESSION OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE and provide for the disposition
of such fees. Elsewhere  in  the  state,  the  licensing  officer  shall
collect  and  pay  into the county treasury the following fees: for each
license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver OR TO PURCHASE OR  TAKE
POSSESSION  OF  A  SEMIAUTOMATIC  RIFLE, not less than three dollars nor
more than ten dollars as may be determined by the  legislative  body  of
the  county; for each amendment thereto, three dollars, and five dollars
A. 10503                            6

in the county of Suffolk; and for each license issued to a  gunsmith  or
dealer  in  firearms, ten dollars. The fee for a duplicate license shall
be five dollars. The fee for processing a license transfer between coun-
ties  shall be five dollars. The fee for processing a license or renewal
thereof for a qualified retired police officer as defined under subdivi-
sion thirty-four of section 1.20 of the criminal  procedure  law,  or  a
qualified  retired  sheriff, undersheriff, or deputy sheriff of the city
of New York as defined under subdivision two  of  section  2.10  of  the
criminal  procedure  law, or a qualified retired bridge and tunnel offi-
cer, sergeant or lieutenant of the triborough bridge and tunnel authori-
ty as defined under subdivision twenty of section 2.10 of  the  criminal
procedure  law,  or  a  qualified retired uniformed court officer in the
unified court system, or a qualified retired court clerk in the  unified
court system in the first and second judicial departments, as defined in
paragraphs  a  and  b  of  subdivision twenty-one of section 2.10 of the
criminal procedure law or a retired correction  officer  as  defined  in
subdivision  twenty-five  of  section 2.10 of the criminal procedure law
shall be waived in all counties throughout the state.
  § 2. Subdivisions 1 and 3 of section 400.01 of the penal law, subdivi-
sion 1 as amended by chapter 511 of the laws of 2014 and  subdivision  3
as  added  by  chapter  210  of the laws of 1999, are amended to read as
follows:
  1. A license to carry or possess a firearm  OR  TO  PURCHASE  OR  TAKE
POSSESSION  OF  A  SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE for a retired sworn member of the
division of state police shall be granted in the same  manner  and  upon
the same terms and conditions as licenses issued under section 400.00 of
this  article  provided, however, that applications for such license may
be made to, and the licensing officer  may  be,  the  superintendent  of
state police.
  3. The provisions of this section shall only apply to license applica-
tions made or renewals which must be made on or after the effective date
of  this  section. A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver OR
TO PURCHASE OR TAKE POSSESSION OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE issued  pursuant
to  the provisions of section 400.00 of this article to a person covered
by the provisions of this section shall  be  valid  until  such  license
would  have expired pursuant to the provisions of section 400.00 of this
article; provided that, on or after the effective date of this  section,
an  application or renewal of such license shall be made pursuant to the
provisions of this section.
  § 3. Subdivision 9 of section 265.00 of the penal law, as  amended  by
chapter 189 of the laws of 2000, is amended to read as follows:
  9.  "Dealer  in  firearms" means any person, firm, partnership, corpo-
ration or company who engages in the business  of  purchasing,  selling,
keeping  for  sale, loaning, leasing, or in any manner disposing of, any
assault weapon, large capacity ammunition feeding device,  pistol  [or],
revolver, OR SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE.
  §  4.  Subdivision 7 of section 265.10 of the penal law, as amended by
chapter 189 of the laws of 2000, is amended to read as follows:
  7. Any person, other than a wholesale dealer, or gunsmith or dealer in
firearms duly licensed pursuant  to  section  400.00  OF  THIS  CHAPTER,
lawfully in possession of a firearm OR SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE, who disposes
of  the same without first notifying in writing the licensing officer in
the city of New York and counties of Nassau and Suffolk and elsewhere in
the state the executive department, division of state police, Albany, is
guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
A. 10503                            7

§ 5. The penal law is amended by adding a new section 265.65  to  read
as follows:
§ 265.65 CRIMINAL PURCHASE OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE.
  A  PERSON IS GUILTY OF CRIMINAL PURCHASE OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE WHEN
HE OR SHE PURCHASES OR TAKES POSSESSION OF  A  SEMIAUTOMATIC  RIFLE  AND
DOES NOT POSSESS A LICENSE TO PURCHASE OR TAKE POSSESSION OF A SEMIAUTO-
MATIC  RIFLE  AS  PROVIDED  IN SUBDIVISION TWO OF SECTION 400.00 OF THIS
CHAPTER.
 CRIMINAL PURCHASE OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE IS A CLASS A MISDEMEANOR FOR
THE FIRST OFFENSE AND A CLASS E FELONY FOR SUBSEQUENT OFFENSES.
  § 6. The penal law is amended by adding a new section 265.66  to  read
as follows:
§ 265.66 CRIMINAL SALE OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE.
  A  PERSON  IS  GUILTY  OF CRIMINAL SALE OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE WHEN,
KNOWING OR HAVING REASON TO KNOW IT IS A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE, HE OR  SHE
SELLS,  EXCHANGES, GIVES OR DISPOSES OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE TO ANOTHER
PERSON AND SUCH OTHER PERSON DOES NOT POSSESS A LICENSE TO  PURCHASE  OR
TAKE  POSSESSION OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE AS PROVIDED IN SUBDIVISION TWO
OF SECTION 400.00 OF THIS CHAPTER.
  CRIMINAL SALE OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE IS A CLASS E FELONY.
  § 7. Subdivision 10 of section 400.00 of the penal law is  amended  by
adding a new paragraph (c) to read as follows:
  (C)  A LICENSE TO PURCHASE OR TAKE POSSESSION OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE
AS DEFINED IN SUBDIVISION TWO OF THIS SECTION SHALL  BE  RECERTIFIED  TO
THE APPLICABLE LICENSING OFFICER EVERY FIVE YEARS FOLLOWING THE ISSUANCE
OF  SUCH  LICENSE.  FAILURE TO RENEW SUCH A LICENSE SHALL BE A VIOLATION
PUNISHABLE BY A FINE NOT TO EXCEED TWO HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS,  AND  SUCH
FAILURE  TO  RENEW  SHALL  BE  CONSIDERED  BY THE LICENSING OFFICER WHEN
REVIEWING FUTURE LICENSE APPLICATIONS BY THE LICENSE HOLDER PURSUANT  TO
THIS CHAPTER.
  §  8.  This  act shall take effect on the ninetieth day after it shall
have become a law and shall apply only  to  purchases  or  transfers  of
ownership made on or after such effective date.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Paragraph 9:   Following passage of this law, 2000 families must leave NYS, pay their taxes to a different state and spend their millions of retirement dollars outside of NYS.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Paragraph 9:   Following passage of this law, 2000 families must leave NYS, pay their taxes to a different state and spend their millions of retirement dollars outside of NYS.
View Quote

2 million families
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#42]
2030... or earlier.  Gotta start cleaning up, downsizing, and getting things ready.  Gotta move out before they kill me or I'm arrested and put on suicide watch.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#43]
So when are the lawsuits coming?? ??
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So when are the lawsuits coming?? ??
View Quote

After Thomas cockslaps NYS in the NYSRPA case, hopefully.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

After Thomas cockslaps NYS in the NYSRPA case, hopefully.
View Quote
NYS has an *ignore* button for things, too.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like there is no family exemption so you can't give your kids a .22 rifle.  Your 14 yo needs to apply for a rifle permit?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Looks like there is no family exemption so you can't give your kids a .22 rifle.  Your 14 yo needs to apply for a rifle permit?
View Quote

The bill as is regulates ownership.

It does not regulate immediate physical possession like handgun law does.

There is a ginormous loophole / grey area for loaning.

Living in the same house you should be able to let a kid use your AR all day everyday like any other rifle.

Even a year long 'loan' should be ok by the letter of the law.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Living in the same house you should be able to let a kid use your AR all day everyday like any other rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately we've been through this with the SAFE act when it banned private sales.  It made loaning a rifle to anyone other than a spouse or child (note: your household my not be limited to those people) a dicey proposition.  Also with the safe storage laws that were passed guarding physical access with minors in the house comes in to play.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top