Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2022 2:26:26 PM EDT
So we are taking a trip up there . Going to the falls on a day trip .

Anything else up there to see or food spots ??

Gun stores?

Anything to worry about ? Safe area ?

Thanks .
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Why Batavia if you are going to the Falls?  Are you going to the Canadian side?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
If it were me when I made the trip, Batavia was where I would catch the Thruway after taking NY-63 from I-390 Geneseo. I would stop at Dunkin in Batavia to get some caffeine to carry me to the Rainbow Bridge
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

We were going to some event that got canceled in bativia . I all ready booked the trip so i was like f.. it lets see some of ny .

We are doing a day trip to niagara falls on the ny side . Figured it would be cool for the family.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Batavia isn’t too far from Letchworth state park….I’d see that as well

Batavia is…..well…..kinda a shitshow
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
What should i know about bativia ? Is it safe ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends……if you are outside of the city then you are in basically rural territory and would be fine.

Lots of shitbags in the city itself.  It’s a poor rundown shithole of a little city
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool thanks for letting me know . I had no idea of the place .
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cool thanks for letting me know . I had no idea of the place .
View Quote

It’s not exactly a destination….it’s a small forgotten city.

If you go to Niagara Falls on American side just go to the state park…..park is nice…..city of Niagara Falls is like Detroit Lite…..total shithole.

Letchworth state park is very nice and worth going to
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#9]
You will be happier to stay home and take the loss.  The meat cutters union hall in Batavia is no longer active.

This video was amazingly accurate.

The Simpsons - Upstate New York (Song)
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't go to the US side!  You can't unsee all the disappointment and decay.

The only non-boarded up building is the police station and its probably been burned down by now.

Nobody but owners of Pakistani restaurants made out of condemned pizza hut buildings left.

Literally non-English speaking people pooping in the open on the way to Maid of the Mist.

Never get on the boat.  Just never go to Niagara Falls.  Charles Cyphers said at his high school reunion it has become an open air insane asylum where nobody speaks English.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Never get on the boat.  Just never go to Niagara Falls.  Charles Cyphers said at his high school reunion it has become an open air insane asylum where nobody speaks English.
View Quote
I am sure Canada is secretly grateful there is a huge river with only a few guarded bridges crossings separating them from it all. The Canadian side is so much nicer. I think it is a lot like the southern U.S. border in that the northern side is better than the southern side
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know I'm late, but I used to work in Batavia, loved getting paid 120 miles for the drive, too (back in the early 2000's).  Never had an issue with crime there.  Still drive thru from time to time.  Couple decent diners, and a great cookie/cake/pastry shop there.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:16:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Well there's Attica State Prison about 12 miles south of Batavia on RT. 98. I'm familiar with the area if ya wanna gimme a phone number or email.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Update .i made it back . Bativia was ummm.. different. Im not going to bad mouth it. It was a good trip because it got me away from down state for a bit . Family had a good time.

We stayed at la quinta and it was ok (room smelled like Indian food and b.o.)

The town is a little run down but not to bad . I never felt undafe .

What shocked me was niagara falls city . Holy shit what a shit hole . Filthy, rundown , people looking at you like they want a problem. Was caught  off guard with that .

All in all it was a good time .

Thank you all again!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What shocked me was niagara falls city . Holy shit what a shit hole . Filthy, rundown , people looking at you like they want a problem. Was caught  off guard with that .
View Quote
I sometimes wonder if the Canadians, looking south to Niagara Falls, NY, have the same feeling that Americans in El Paso have looking south into Juarez

I remember when one could stop at the HOJO's in Niagara Falls, have lunch and walk around the city without much issue. The last 20 years I just stop at Duty Free and continue from there. On return, after Customs, head to a BJ's station in Tonawanda to fill up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Update .i made it back . Bativia was ummm.. different. Im not going to bad mouth it. It was a good trip because it got me away from down state for a bit . Family had a good time.

We stayed at la quinta and it was ok (room smelled like Indian food and b.o.)

The town is a little run down but not to bad . I never felt undafe .

Thank you all again!!
View Quote

Indian family owns that hotel. Used to have an indoor waterpark (may still be there actually).

My wife is from that .... city.. if that's what you want to call it. Did a whole lot of hunting over there
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thank you all again!!
View Quote

Guy on my first police mentor team in Afghanistan was an officer in Niagara Falls PD. He made it through a year in Helmand province, got back to work back home and was shot
Another guy from the same year was a Statie and survived his tour just to die from falling off his roof a while after he got back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top