Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2021 9:10:14 AM EDT
I'm a born and raised NYer, but got the hell out of there almost 15 years ago.
Much has changed when i was there last in 2018. I've always flown into JFK, but this is the first time I am driving in.

Going over state lines with Texas plates in a lifted pickup - am I going to garner any additional attention from state troopers, etc?
Is it ok to cross state lines with a disassembled firearm (locked in box, etc)?

Any advise is helpful.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you going to the NYC area?
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you going to the NYC area?
View Quote

No, no plans to go to NYC, period.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
No handguns, no mags over ten rounds, no semis that meet NY's definition of an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
We have such an international community here due to the universities that out of state plates only get noticed if they're  from relatively rare places like Hawaii or Alaska, or from foreign nations.
Don't bring a handgun, disassembled or not
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We have such an international community here due to the universities that out of state plates only get noticed if they're  from relatively rare places like Hawaii or Alaska, or from foreign nations.
View Quote

i figured. ive seen plates from all over when i lived there, but times have changed, so thats why i ask.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

North of Syracuse (Watertown/Ft. Drum you'll see plates from every State & Territory....last couple years there have been a LOT of Texas and Florida Plates.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Gad I see at least one Texas plate every other day here on Long Island. Nothing unusual at all though now that I think about the one thing that has been missing on these vehicles has been the Confederate Flag sticker that was so common in the past

As other posts have noted, a lot of out-of-state visitors and students here. Especially because this is the New York City metro area. Florida plates are VERY common due to all the snowbirds.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Handguns are a no go, no matter what.

if its a rifle, is it an EBR?? It doesn't matter if its taken apart or together. If it has any *gasp* evil features, you may get loved tenderly by the police, regardless of NYC or anywhere else.

Something like a lever action Winchester or a bolt action? no worries. An AR platform? Most likely going to be a huge problem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks all for the replies. i know the concept of private ownership of an object is not recognized or respected in your state, but I wasn't planning on bringing an AR or anything.

I will plan my trip accordingly based on above. thanks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I lived most of my life in NY including a couple years post safe act before I got out. At no point outside of NYC region, is there a requirement for a long gun to be disassembled or in a locked container.
Most of the time I went to the range I just tossed long guns on the back seat Orin the trunk
I have always for some reason hated using gun cases, can’t logically explain it.
The long gun must be unloaded however during transport.
( conservation law violation )

Some will argue, but as long as a magazine is not in the gun it could be loaded as well.

I had someone go so far as to argue a bolt lever or pump with a cartridge holder on the stock was considered loaded and would get you in trouble, which is completely false.

If I had to travel through communist territory ( other than going back to help my wife clear out a house after the death of a relative I haven’t been back)
A pump or lever with a cartridge cuff in the trunk would be my choice
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Some will argue, but as long as a magazine is not in the gun it could be loaded as well.

I had someone go so far as to argue a bolt lever or pump with a cartridge holder on the stock was considered loaded and would get you in trouble, which is completely false.
View Quote

Environmental Conservation Law Section 11-0931

2. No crossbow or firearm except a pistol or revolver shall be carried or possessed in or on a motor vehicle  unless  it  is uncocked, for a crossbow or unloaded, for a firearm in both the chamber and the magazine,

Penal Law Section 265

15. "Loaded firearm" means any firearm loaded with ammunition or any firearm which is possessed by one who, at the same time, possesses a quantity of ammunition which may be used to discharge such firearm.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I had to travel through communist territory ( other than going back to help my wife clear out a house after the death of a relative I haven’t been back)
A pump or lever with a cartridge cuff in the trunk would be my choice
View Quote

pump action 12 guage? i have one in stock config.

what on earth is a cartridge cuff?
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link to peaceable journey law.  As stated above, no pistols, no semis that accept a detachable magazine and have a pistol grip, flash hider/muzzle brake, bayo lug, grenade launcher, no detachable magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.  Hot link to peaceable journey laws  Firearm doesn't have to be disassembled, just unloaded with ammo separate from the gun to get around the ECL misdemeanor for having a loaded weapon in a motor vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Be sure to leave your tow mirrors flipped up if you got a Ram, you'll fit right in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top