Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2021 5:38:06 PM EDT
I have a sister and Brother in law with several permitted pistols planning on leaving Staten Island area for Florida permanently. Is anyone aware of any legal requirement that they notify anybody of the NYC authorities of what they are doing because of the permitting?
My sister is indicating that they think they need to transfer the weapons out of the state via an FFL.
I think they should be able to pack their bags, pack up their home goods and wave goodbye. They is no intention of going back to New York City or State. Not as a resident, and likely not even to visit.
I can read about moving to New York State and City. I can not find anything about leaving permanently.
I'd appreciate any input.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The NYPD will probably tell them they have to transfer it out of the city via an FFL...because they aren't technically allowed to take the guns our of their apartment unless it's for target shooting in nyc or hunting...

But that is total bullshit.

Just tell them to transport unloaded and locked up and don't look back.

If they really want to they can mail their permit back with a note saying they left the city just so the NYPD doesn't throw a fit when the permits expire...

The NYPD will probably want their new address but you can tell them to fuck right off.

Long story short...they don't need to use an FFL to take them out of NYC especially since they are moving permanently.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
When I left western NY ( different animal than NYC I know)
I carried them with me to free America.
After arrival in Arizona I sent a letter with my pistol permit enclosed stating I had relocated out of NY and no longer owned property there. So surrendering my permit to them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 2:07:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The NYPD will probably tell them they have to transfer it out of the city via an FFL...because they aren't technically allowed to take the guns our of their apartment unless it's for target shooting in nyc or hunting...

I thought that was part of the case the Supreme Court looked at a few years back, where in NYC you could not even take your guns to another house you owned in state, or to another state for practice, matches, etc, the stated idea being that people were going to drive around with their guns, claiming they were going someplace out of the city, and then if they got cut off making a turn, a once law abiding citizen suddenly runs back to their trunk, unlocks the trunk and locked case, loads the gun, and commits murder.  

After the SC took the case up, New York did the Cheat and Retreat move, where they suddenly changed that law to allow for transport of your guns away from your home, to avoid the SC reaching a ruling in the case and striking down other crap laws.

So I think you are allowed now, even in NYC, to travel out of the city with firearms and not just for hunting or to the few ranges in the City.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Pack them up, leave and never look back.  I left WNY 7 years ago and still have my NY permit in my safe somewhere, lol.  Not that there's a single gun on it that remains in my possession and not that I'd ever go back.  Also, I know it's expired by now.  I keep it as a reminder or what I escaped, basically.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]
What they dont know wont hurt them(or you)...
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Nassau County PD showed up at my old house in NY looking for me when my NY permit expired. I called the detective who left his number with my old landlord and he said "You have to notify us if you move". I told him "No, I don't" and hung up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nassau County PD showed up at my old house in NY looking for me when my NY permit expired. I called the detective who left his number with my old landlord and he said "You have to notify us if you move". I told him "No, I don't" and hung up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perfect.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hilarious, but not updating your address in 10 days is some sort of a violationnot that a single person has ever been prosecuted for it I bet
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hilarious, but not updating your address in 10 days is some sort of a violationnot that a single person has ever been prosecuted for it I bet
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it is funny but the only way I would ever do something like that is if I was 100% iron-clad no-doubt-about-it certain I was NEVER EVER going to set foot on New York State soil again. Otherwise, you have no idea exactly what may be in the system until you are either stopped for a traffic violation here or are scanned by one of the myriad of license plate scanners popping up everywhere. Plus, what if someone in the PD decides to return the fun and drop an erroneous record into NICS (oopsie - we bad - wrong person)? Yes it can be cleared (eventually).
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn’t have even called him back
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My landlord didn't know what it was about, he just told me some Detective was looking for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Pack up and move, take unloaded guns with you, locked in trunk.

When you get to FL, establish residency and have a FL drivers license, the nice thing to do is mail your permit back and explain you have moved out of NY state and all of your guns moved as well.

And that would be the only communication I would have with them... But that's just me. I know more than a couple people that the NCPD pistol license section has unjustifiably screwed with over the years. I hav very littl to no respect for the guys assigned to that retirement home at HQ...
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol that is pretty much what everyone i know who has left Long Island or upstate has done. Either that or just leave and never even bother sending the permit in.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Send them a letter with just a URL written on it that leads to this video (but a version that has the “you’re cool” part omitted):

Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, and no. In his case he moved out of the state, so fuck a bunch of NCPD cops.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Tell them you moved to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#19]
KISS.  As other posters have stated, transport the firearms unloaded and locked in the trunk or the most remote location from the driver's seat to new residence.  Send back the permit(s) with a note that they and the firearms have permanently been relocated out of state.  If they don't feel like it, don't provide a forwarding address and if they receive a phone call politely tell them to "call my attorney" and hang up.  NYC may be different, but under most hocus pocus county rules, you are required to notify them of an address change within 10 days.  Failure to do so is grounds for them revoking the permit, but that is basically a moot point once they are relocated OOS.   Link to peaceable journey law

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top