Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2021 11:22:03 AM EDT
Hey Fellas, wanted to see if anyone hunts with their ARs.  I just purchased a Rogue .308 and it was mag locked by the dealer, don't really see an issue with taking it into the woods.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey Fellas, wanted to see if anyone hunts with their ARs.  I just purchased a Rogue .308 and it was mag locked by the dealer, don't really see an issue with taking it into the woods.
View Quote

You will want to check with your local DEC people as to mag capacity. I think even with a fixed magazine, it has to be limited to 5 rounds in the mag.

Aside from that, I know guys who hunt with AR rifles in various calibers. They have all been stopped over the years by the game wardens and DEC cops, and aside from asking to see their big game license or doe tags, were told "be safe and good luck".
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I hunt with a 300blk AR pistol. Fixed mag. 7.5" barrel so you can have a 10 round mag. 8" or more barrel has to be 5 rounds or less.

So just replace your fixed 10 round mag with a fixed 5 round mag and you will be good.

Or make your AR an "other" with a removable 5 round mag.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember, a normal 20 round AR mag is only a 5 round .450 Bushmaster mag

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
6.8 SPC here, only use 5 round mags.

I passed on going with 450 stuff- I do not want another caliber to load for!
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
6.8 SPC here, only use 5 round mags.

I passed on going with 450 stuff- I do not want another caliber to load for!
View Quote

Some of us buy a gun just because we have cartridges, cases, or dies and if we don't then we get 'em!
I like the .458 socom the best as it has 45/70 ballistics.
If someone needs (5) shot factory magazines for the .450, 458, or .50 search the EE and I have an ad there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome kill Zero6!

Thanks fellas, planning on using 300 BO as well as 308 out of an AR platform this year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Been hunting with AR's for many years.  Used to use a AR10 for deer, now using a 6.8SPC.  .223 for anything from woodchucks to doe under the tree stand.  Always 5 round mags.  Been stopped once about 20 years ago, no hassle.  Not sure about now.  DEC was pretty sparse last couple of seasons.  Biggest problem with 6.8SPC was taking the wrong magazine with me, after the 3rd time they are all marked with tape.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve used a few AR’s in .223 with 62-64 grain softpoints.  They seem to drop much faster vs when hit with a slug but that is purely anecdotal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’ve used a few AR’s in .223 with 62-64 grain softpoints.  They seem to drop much faster vs when hit with a slug but that is purely anecdotal.
View Quote

Yes, I noticed the same.  62 grain Speer gold dots are the ticket for me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Decided to go with a different scope setup, so I'm not sure if I'll get this in the woods this year, but 350 Legend.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, I noticed the same.  62 grain Speer gold dots are the ticket for me.
View Quote

I've killed two with neck shots at 150yds using 55gr. Remington Cor-Lok;  that said, the .375 H&H kills and guts at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:22:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have never had a positive incident with a DEC officer. I have always found them to be dicks.
View Quote

Well that sucks....Some of the finest folks I've ever had the pleasure are/were DEC Officers.

After the un_SAFE Act came out, the NYSP were pretty much told that when they see what's obviously a MSR with a muzzle device they should determine if it's compliant.
People tend to ingratiate themselves into the surrounding environment: You deal with nice, honest people all day you tend to be nice and honest.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Been hunting yotes with mine for years now. I have handed it to GW and Sherriff on occasion as well. 10 Round pinned mag blocked to 5 rounds.

On a side note I purchased a complete lower receiver without magazine and or magazine lock from our new Runnings store. I have never seen that before...that and they required middle name not inital on ID. Had to bring my passport in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:38:19 AM EDT
[#16]
When I was still in NY I used an Ares SCR with a 6.5 G upper. Very nice combo and it always puzzled the fudds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I just finished a batch of .358 Winchester Rounds for a KAK Barreled -10
Rings will be here tomorrow and I'll bench it to zero and check accuracy.
PSA:  I generally recommend X or XX High Rings on AR Flat-top MSR's otherwise you may have to really crank your head down to get a good view through your scope, now the down side is now you're an inch and a half of better above the center of the Bore. (closer to the barrel the better) The taller rings do make running/fast shots easier. YMMV.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve hunted The Adirondacks and Southern Tier (Cayuga County) with an AR since 2012 or so. I’ve had the occasion to encounter DEC while afield in both places and drew nary a second look in either place. Just make sure you’re aware of the ENCON laws and you’ll be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top