Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2021 2:10:19 PM EDT
Hope all are OK. We had major flooding in Westchester County. Hundreds of cars and houses flooded and destroyed. I am without power at the moment, will probably last 2-3 days. Running a generator to keep fridge and lights going.

How are you gentlemen?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Fine here in Ulster Co. just got rain with a few trees & branches down.
Reach out if you need anything, there's still a few decent mugs around.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I am on a hill, so no flooding. My buddy had 5' of water in the first floor, and his brand new Mustang is sitting on his porch. They had to break neighbor's window to pull him out, water pressure prevented them from opening the door.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Local Rabbi called me, the synagogue had at least 4' of water. Torah scrolls and all books are likely destroyed. Still no access into the building. DPW is pumping and pushing water from the area. Right before the Holidays. Sucks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Here in Pine Bush (Ulster Co. side) we had a bunch of rain and some branches down but no major problems.  Some friends had basement flooding.  That is about the worst of it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#5]
The parts of Long Island that I travel were okay. 4.8 inches in hometown in north Nassau. 2 inches at sisters home 17 miles away in southeastern Nassau. Basically as big an event for me as Henri. I just hope my luck does not run out. So far the major issues with these storms is the worst has been either east or west of me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Always live on a hill.  Sand, if possible.  Not on a downward slope.

Glad you had the smarts to be prepared for a once in 50 year event.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's my AAR posted in the Outdoors forum:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Ida-in-downstate-NY-AAR/17-700994/
View Quote

Thanks for the AAR, always good to learn something. Drove south through lower Westchester to NYC the morning after around 5 AM and it was mad max. Abandoned cars all over, stationary and fast moving flooding and all kinds of closures. It was an adventure for sure. I recommend the Subaru Crosstrek as a daily driver for those that can't go the Jeep/ pickup/4wd route for whatever reason. I was able to pick my way through and around a lot of spots that would have stopped me in a regular sedan.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
You definitely needed an AWD vehicle in this mess. I saw cars bottomed out on the median. Guess they were trying to evade flooding and got stuck.

My buddy's son went to see his friends that night. Then his friend attempted to drive him back in a brand new $80,000 Tesla. Well, I guess water and electricity don't mix... My buddy ended up having to exfiltrate them in his pickup.

I also will put a battery hackzall in a car next time, for cutting branches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top